Paying tax

Ok bit of a long winded one.

Does anyone know how the tax system works please.

From the beginning of this tax year I was on ssp until the 8th of November (my first shift) so didn’t pay any tax or stamp as i was under the threshold. for the first 4 weeks of employment I was on w1m1 and paid tax on any earnings over my weekly tax free allowance. on the 5th week my tax code changed to 1257L and i got all the tax i had paid back and didn’t pay any tax this last pay period.

When i look on hmrc at my account it only has 2 pay periods on there and the second one is repeated. then underneath it says

Your employer sent the individual and total amounts in the table above.
The individual amounts do not add up to the total. When this happens we use the total amounts as your figures for the tax year.

I am assuming from this that the payroll have reported the second week as “total pay”

sorry for the disjointed post but i just dont want to end up with a tax bill at the end of the year.

cooper1203:
Ok bit of a long winded one.

Does anyone know how the tax system works please.

:laughing: No point in asking a bunch of truck drivers something even your average wages clerk doesn’t understand. HMRC won’t land you with a big tax bill when you’re PAYE, if there are any issues it’ll be spread over the next year’s income, if you’re genuinely concerned you need to call them.

I spent around 30 quid and two hours waiting for these thieves to answer their phone.The first call was cut off shortly after getting through to them then waited another hour for them to answer again.
Which was again cut off with them still refusing to agree that I’m allowed to earn £12,705 + £1,000 savings interest without it being liable to tax.Only earnings above that.
Bearing in mind that the longer they make people wait the more VAT they make on the phone calls.