Pay rises

the maoster:
Nine hours fifteen minutes driving I did yesterday, all to cover the princely distance of 590km! The roads were chock a block with bewildered holidaymakers and day trippers. The cost of fuel certainly isn’t stopping these lot is it?

I reckon that any government minister who’s wafting along in his chauffeur driven luxury could justifiably think “actually we could charge the plebs £10 per litre and the fools would moan but still buy it”.

There’s a bit of an anomaly this year as people are still “getting away” after having everything cancelled. I know my holiday cost me nothing now because it was paid for in 2019!

Cost of living crisis but…

We’re flat out with work beyond belief to the point it’s like the annual sales all year round now, you can’t get what HJ sell on credit and you’re spending high four to five figures for a kitchen and for the majority of cases replacing a kitchen is a want, not a have no choice.

People all still trying to buy new cars and paying through the nose for used cars because supply of new cars can’t meet demand.

Parcel companies all working flat out delivering 100+ parcels per day per driver of stuff people are buying on Amazon, Ebay etc so busy they’re all doing 7 days a week deliveries, even Parcelforce and Royal Mail.

Airports, Dover and Eurotunnel rammed full of holidaymakers.

McDonalds rammed full of families on a weekend and you’re not going to be spending much less than £30 a pop for a family of four.

All major holiday routes nose to tail with tailbacks on a Friday evening measured in several miles on the various motorways and major A roads to where they’re going away. Queues of traffic going to the seaside resorts most days this summer, even Bridlington which I’d hardly call fantastic.

Retail car parks rammed full on a weekend.

But apparently everyone is having to choose between heating and eating. :question: :question:

Conor:

Dover and tunnel rammed? Yes. Due to more travellers? No
Airports rammed with queues? Yes. In spite of cancelled flights.
The queues aren`t because we all have too much money to spend.

tmcassett:

Franglais:
Brexit is a symptom of lies, bad governance, and bad politicians.

In your opinion, which means its exactly that … “an opinion” and not a fact, in the same way I have “my opinion”

True. My opinion is there.
The ONS and OECD figurues are not my opinion though.

It is also my opinion, that the current situation has not been caused by
The UK remaining in the EU
Bad Governance by years of Labour Govermments
Too much investment in UK industry.

Juddian:
years on end of virtually zero interest rates designed to keep the housing market rising, which is just about the only viable part of the economy left standing,

I don`t agree there, Juddian.
House price inflation (that is what it is) might be good for those of us who have a fully paid for house, but for everyone else? No.

We have been building too few houses for years, the percentage of home ownership has been falling.
It is absurd that we need to rely on homes built decades ago to fund ourselves!

Youre right that the rest of the economy is crap, but Im afraid that housing isn`t an exception.

Franglais:
Nonsense.

Brexit is a symptom of lies, bad governance, and bad politicians.
The poor state of the UK economy is also the result of years of bad governance.

Around 50 years of austerity and economic meltdown caused by bad governance ever since Heath took us into the Euro scam to make Germany great again, as part of that bad governance.Remind me of our Euro membership status when an energy self sufficient country under Callaghan went begging to the IMF for a bailout and imposed wage freezes resulting in the winter of discontent.
While Germany partied.

Franglais:

Juddian:
years on end of virtually zero interest rates designed to keep the housing market rising, which is just about the only viable part of the economy left standing,

House price inflation (that is what it is) might be good for those of us who have a fully paid for house, but for everyone else? No.

We have been building too few houses for years, the percentage of home ownership has been falling.

Youre right that the rest of the economy is crap, but Im afraid that housing isn`t an exception.

Home ownership has been falling because too many working class bought the narrative that militancy is bad and the government has rigged the labour market with high immigration levels resulting in low incomes and high demand.
Good luck with the Soviet style urbanisation solution.
If it’s a supply issue how do you explain the fact that the largest housing deprivation is in areas with the most housing like London.
Also it might be a surprise to you but the generations that bought houses when they were built over 50 years ago don’t need them any more because they now live in the cemetery

Franglais:

Juddian:

I’m not disagreeing with you.
House prices rising doesn’t mean a jot to most of us who live in the house we own, you can only take advantage of the rise if you sell up and live in a tent or die in which case the kids buy a new electric car each and ■■■■ the rest up on holidays and tat.

We haven’t been building too few houses we’ve imported too many people and keeping far too many of them at the taxpayers expense, and continue to do so, this plus the stupid drunken sailor spending associated with the covid scam will make the 2008 banking scam and the resulting downturn look like a slight glitch.

In my area they are and have been building houses on nearly every spare bit of land.
Every other town and city I’ve been through seem to have been doing the same as far as I’ve seen.

Franglais:

Conor:

Dover and tunnel rammed? Yes. Due to more travellers? No
Airports rammed with queues? Yes. In spite of cancelled flights.
The queues aren`t because we all have too much money to spend.

The queues at Dover are more about EU rules on shipping which affect the longer crossing options.There are no direct ferry routes to Scandinavia even Belgium because of EU rules affecting the North Sea etc.
The Dutch are still imposing strict COVID rules on those remaining routes.
Obviously Brittany Ferries aren’t being affected by the French stitch up.
We haven’t requested to be a US state over border controls and Canada hasn’t either.So why should we have to join the EU when it all worked fine before 1973 with far more UK-European and Scandinavian connectivity than we’ve got now.

And in Germany it’s a lot, a lot worse…

osark:

Shush! Heresy that! Never let it be said that there’s anyway on Earth worse than Britain . The glass half empty crew would burn you at the stake for even suggesting it.

osark:

But that can’t be the case because they are still in the EU! :wink:

If you think that racism and prejudice is bad in this country…
Try Gremany, The Netherlands, Belgium, France… heck, when it comes to racism Britain is not even in the top three…

Sorry, but you just don’t like people from India, or Pakistan.
Not like the people in the Netherlands, who hate people from Turkey. Openly.

The Germans despise enybody not racially German.

The French despise anybody not French enough to be French.

Franglais:

The EU now has 27 nations. As of June, the last month where there’s data in for everyone, the EU-27 average rate of inflation is 0.2% higher than the UK. 17 of those 27 EU nations have rates of inflation above that of the UK. 15 of those 17 nations have double digit rates of inflation. The worst rate of inflation is Lithuania at 20.5%.

But the UK’s rate is caused by Brexit… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Conor:

Franglais:

The EU now has 27 nations. As of June, the last month where there’s data in for everyone, the EU-27 average rate of inflation is 0.2% higher than the UK. 17 of those 27 EU nations have rates of inflation above that of the UK. 15 of those 17 nations have double digit rates of inflation. The worst rate of inflation is Lithuania at 20.5%.

But the UK’s rate is caused by Brexit… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have already provided documented evidence to this in the Brexit thread. As usual Frangers swerved it by asking if the UK is doing better than Iraq’s inflation “are we doing better”■■?
More swerves than a night on the dodgems!

Speaking of pay rises… how is everyone getting on with their own? Are we seeing inflation beating ones anywhere? Anywhere just saying no?

toonsy:
Speaking of pay rises… how is everyone getting on with their own? Are we seeing inflation beating ones anywhere? Anywhere just saying no?

Trouble is mate that inflation js forecasted to drop back down 2024 onwards. Businesses are loath to award inflation busting pay rises for a short term blip

msgyorkie:

toonsy:

Trouble is mate that inflation js forecasted to drop back down 2024 onwards. Businesses are loath to award inflation busting pay rises for a short term blip

I get that, but it doesn’t work like that. It works as pay rises now should at least try to reflect now, pay rises in 2024 should reflect circumstances in 2024.

If inflation drops back to say 3% in 2024 for arguments sake will many firms go “we will give you 8% because we didn’t match inflation then because it was too costly so everyone deserves a bit of a boost” of course they won’t.

I’ve got 13% this year but I’m not daft enough or unreasonable enough to not know that not every firm can afford that, but I’m also long in this game enough to know that many many firms will blag the pauper card to the absolute last.

msgyorkie:
I have already provided documented evidence to this in the Brexit thread. As usual Frangers swerved it by asking if the UK is doing better than Iraq’s inflation “are we doing better”■■?
More swerves than a night on the dodgems!

There was more swerving going on there than on a Ronaldo free kick, from memory it started with some lame excuse about needing a break for his tea, then Greece got mentioned I think and bizarrely Iraq came into the conversation. :smiley: