Pay rates???

I have been reading through all these different posts about pay and some wages seem crazy.

Me personally driving 3.5 tonne home shopping vans im earning £900-£1000 every 4 weeks working 6 days a week.
I have got it into my head that by class 1 tramping I can earn double that per month.

Is that at all possible in this day and age?

The reason I am asking is I want to get myself a house in the future and working where I am that is going to be impossible.
Thanks in advance Thomas

Yes that is possible. Which supermarket do you work for? The reason I ask is if you’re near to your companies rdc, get a transfer into there

Yes that is definitely possible. Hell, its possible on a Cat C! People are unlikely to flat out tell you where the best paying jobs are.

A good start would be to see which companies near you are recruiting, and then go and visit every other company personally who is not advertising ever. Almost certain to be their T’s&C’s are better and you might luck out!

OVLOV JAY:
Yes that is possible. Which supermarket do you work for? The reason I ask is if you’re near to your companies rdc, get a transfer into there

Thanks due to a social media thing we are not allowed to say who it is but they are the biggest in the uk :wink:

Im in Plymouth.

F-reds:
Yes that is definitely possible. Hell, its possible on a Cat C! People are unlikely to flat out tell you where the best paying jobs are.

A good start would be to see which companies near you are recruiting, and then go and visit every other company personally who is not advertising ever. Almost certain to be their T’s&C’s are better and you might luck out!

Thanks thats good to know.
Once I have completed my cat C+E I will be banging on everybodies doors to get a job.
Thanks Thomas

my weekly take home basic is £350 most weeks it’s £400 some £500 depends on nights out etc
my week is 48hours ot after cat C general haulage

montytom:

OVLOV JAY:

Thanks due to a social media thing we are not allowed to say who it is but they are the biggest in the uk :wink:

Im in Plymouth.

Lee mils Robrough or crown hill ? every little helps :wink:

blue estate:

montytom:

OVLOV JAY:

Im in Plymouth.

Lee mils Robrough or crown hill ? every little helps :wink:

Thanks for both your comments. Lee mill is where I am

montytom:
I have been reading through all these different posts about pay and some wages seem crazy.

Me personally driving 3.5 tonne home shopping vans im earning £900-£1000 every 4 weeks working 6 days a week.
I have got it into my head that by class 1 tramping I can earn double that per month.

The reason I am asking is I want to get myself a house in the future and working where I am that is going to be impossible.
Thanks in advance Thomas

Think its close to illegal,working 6 Day every Week

Immigrant:

montytom:

Thanks in advance Thomas

But that’s the point. He can earn almost double what he’s on and by working 5 days a week instead of 6.

I know it sounds obvious Thomas, but take into account travelling time and costs, as well as ease of job and how you are treated.

It’s all very well banging on about the £££’s, but make sure the job suits you. I don’t tramp, but I do the odd night out for Wincanton here and there, and it’s not fun trying to sleep in a wagon when it’s raining or a [zb]ing bird is wandering around on top of your cab.

You should easily earn £2000 a month class 1 tramping though.

I live in the midlands and earn 700 a week (anything between 650 and 750 ish), C+E tramping on general haulage. That includes everything.

That’s a standard, middle of the ground rate round this neck of the woods. Lots of hours, but hey, you’re tramping, it doesn’t really matter so much as if you’re doing days.

What you’ll probably find is that you’ll earn about 2 1/2 times as much as you’re earning now, but due to some of your earnings falling into the higher tax band, you’ll ultimately end up with about 2 1/4 times as much in you bank as you’re netting now. For me it’s a minimum of 2k a month in the bank.

It’s certainly a worthwhile investment to make, that’s for sure, as even if you don’t like tramping, you’ll blow your old wage out the water even if you settle on days C+E.

Should get that easy supermarket work on the whole is easy sometimes you’ll only be driving 2 hrs a day and 8 hr shifts.Don’t worry about the experience barrier plenty of work about and you already have the experience under your belt.

Immigrant:

montytom:

Thanks in advance Thomas

That’s the joys of van driving over truck driving my friend :wink:

montytom:

Thanks in advance Thomas

You want to buy a house, so you’re going to get a job living on the road all week?

All things being equal, you will earn more on HGVs than vans, but there’s the cost of training, the lost wages during training, and the possible irregularity of your income while you establish yourself.

Many guys already in this game wouldn’t recommend it to family or friends.

Rjan - over driving a dotcom van for a grand a month and six day week?

Seriously :unamused:

Even the very worst cat C job will see him do better than that…

Unfortunately where you live there aren’t any supermarket RDC’s, the closest to that work you’ll get is Fowler Welch who have a depot at Heathfield.
They trunk trailers from other depots to it and do supermarkets in the West Country. They’re often advertising for drivers (that might tell you something about them) so if you get your licence they could well be worth a call even if it’s just to get some experiemce before moving on to other things.

Pay in this area can differ wildly, there are 2 companies within spitting distance of you that demonstrate the point. 1 of them does general haulage and from what I’ve been led to understand pay not a lot more for 5 1/2 days (day work, no nights out) than you’re on now.
The other does international work and requires you to be away up to 3 weeks, for that you would increase your income by 2.5 times what you’re on now.
But would you want to buy a house and then be away from it that long?
If you’re young and single, it’s a good way to save up to buy the house.
But if you’re a family man, forget it !

Travel further and you have Conway Bailey in Redruth. Frequently looking for drivers, apparently willing to take on freshly qualified drivers. They pay £100 per day + nights out. Expect to do 5 nights out a week and minimum legal hours weekend breaks.

montytom:

Thanks in advance Thomas

Maybe consider moving towards Bristol and working out of Avonmouth rent a place for a couple of years then buy within 30-40 minute drive away from the Avonmouth DC where they are looking for drivers.

Immigrant:

montytom:

Thanks in advance Thomas

Thanks Im allowed to as I am not in a large vehicle

eagerbeaver:
I know it sounds obvious Thomas, but take into account travelling time and costs, as well as ease of job and how you are treated.

It’s all very well banging on about the £££’s, but make sure the job suits you. I don’t tramp, but I do the odd night out for Wincanton here and there, and it’s not fun trying to sleep in a wagon when it’s raining or a [zb]ing bird is wandering around on top of your cab.

You should easily earn £2000 a month class 1 tramping though.

Thanks eagerbeaver. I will make sure the job suits me. Maybe I am being silly but I am scared I will be renting till I die and as such cannot retire.
Im not just doing my training for that reason(ive wanted to drive for as long as I can remember)