Pay Parity

Doing the same job now for 8 months at a certain contract. No one is getting pay parity. some people are there years on the agency. On the government website it seems pretty clear cut if you are in a job more than 3 months you should be on pay parity. There must be somewhere this can be reported anonnomously.

belfastdriver:
Doing the same job now for 8 months at a certain contract. No one is getting pay parity. some people are there years on the agency. On the government website it seems pretty clear cut if you are in a job more than 3 months you should be on pay parity. There must be somewhere this can be reported anonnomously.

So your saying you are looking for a cut it your wages just so your earning the same as the permanent staff.
I know there are some agency jobs out there that pay less than permanent staff, to which this would apply, but never heard of agency hgv drivers earning less than permanent staff.

All depends on the contract you have with your agency. What is the difference in pay?

years ago it was the other way around, the full time staff earned a lot more than agency and the idea was you tried to do a good job in the hope you could be taken on full time
how times have changed

Full time drivers are paid considerably, overtime rates are better for full time staff too.

desypete:
years ago it was the other way around, the full time staff earned a lot more than agency and the idea was you tried to do a good job in the hope you could be taken on full time
how times have changed

It hasn’t changed. It seems like that for people that can’t do sums without fingers. And is sold like that as it’s nice cheap labour, liability free.

If you take a good company paying £1 an hour less than agency and factor in this:-

1/ you’re employed, no need for dodgy “self employed status” or trying to constantly offset expenses to make up for quiet times
2/ you get a pension
3/ you get holiday pay
4/ you have more protection as a full time employer over a self employed person
5/ you’re paid year round fairly consistently
6/ no periods of sitting off pay
7/ it’s easier to obtain a mortgage

Then over the course of a career coming away agency man has had to do a lot of scheming and scamping to keep up in his self employed world.

You need to be careful you dont open a can of worms you might live to regret,as most Companies dont like paying more than they need to.
Could lead to some getting a pay cut and you most certainly will not be a very popular guy with those who do

Hi Belfast driver. You need to check if it’s an agency you work for, whether there is a Swedish derogation agreement in place between the agency and the company that you are contracted to. If there is a derogation in place that is the reason why pay parity does not apply there. It’s some kind of get out clause that allows companies to not pay parity pay despite government legislation. The agency I worked for at Iceland had a Swedish derogation in place but neglected to tell me when j joined them and I only found out when I asked the question after I had been there more than 12 weeks. It’s just plain wrong but legal all the same.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Easy answer to this …
Don’t work for any agency ! All agencies do is cream money from the workers and reap huge profits which if the company employed full time staff would be available for higher wages for those drivers etc.
Agencies should have been made illegal years ago.
In 1994 Fed ex made me and many others redundant, I had connections at Tesco in Kiln Farm, but had to go in using Park Street Personnel agency, within a week I found out that another agency paid better wages and holiday pay etc, so I switched, I was threatened by Park st that if I didn’t go back with them they would make sure I never worked for Tesco again, the threat back fired and Tesco gave me a full time driving position LOL
Stuff the agencies.

truckertart1:
Hi Belfast driver. You need to check if it’s an agency you work for, whether there is a Swedish derogation agreement in place between the agency and the company that you are contracted to. If there is a derogation in place that is the reason why pay parity does not apply there. It’s some kind of get out clause that allows companies to not pay parity pay despite government legislation. The agency I worked for at Iceland had a Swedish derogation in place but neglected to tell me when j joined them and I only found out when I asked the question after I had been there more than 12 weeks. It’s just plain wrong but legal all the same.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Swedish Derogation is when you are under contract to the agency so get paid when no work but maybe only for 8 hours and not working on contract of service where you get paid to provide a service to the agency

Was just curious, i like the flexibility of being on agency which is a positive. I’ll just keep turning up and leave the bother to someone else.
Agencies are all the same but i do think they should be monitored allot better. Employment laws are becoming less and less. Specially in N,I where its never been that great anyway. Employers here seem to do as they please.

As above avoid agencies at all costs, parasites on the industry.

belfastdriver:

Sorry to tell you this but either you’ve not read the whole page or the government aren’t telling the whole tale. Google Swedish Derogation, its their get out of the 12 week rule with the AWR.

I’m guessing by your forum name your Belfast based - and your probably working through the agency for one of the suoermarket chains based in Belfast .
10 -15 years ago when the big suoermarkets moved over and set up they couldn’t get drivers for love nor money - until they started offering what was nothing short of silly money and they got drivers . Fast forward to today and with inflation and wage rises those drivers are costing an absolute fortune to keep on the books ( good pay / pensions / training / health care / discount cards etc etc ). So the companies looked round and realised that agencies were a great way of cutting costs - much easier to pay the agency £20 p/hr rather than give an "old timer " a shift at £30 / hr because it was a 6th shift /overtime shift .
The companies are saving money and the agencies are making money - and thats not going to change . If you don’t like it - move on , I’ll promise you if you rise a fuss your shifts will stop .
"Sorry driver we don’t need you this week "
“or next "
" month”
"In fact wait for us to call you "

Might not be right / fair /legal/ what you thought you signed up for but it’s whats happening and you can be sure you won’t be there if you rock the very cosy arrangement the the companies and the agencies have with each other .