Pay fine or go to jail

had my fine thro for a RTA which i caused in Belgium 2years ago and it comes to €500 give or take with costs or 8 days in prison anyone know what the jail at ghent is like? a weeks “holiday” is tempting if they will pay the travel costs!

should be OK the belgium,s are nice people usually and the food is pretty good. don’t forget the postcard. two years is a long time to sort it out are they tacking lessons from the Brits.

is there no chance that your employer will help pay the fine::
Also a question is there no Insurance available as regards
lawyers , and the cost of , over here we have so many
firms . i have a policy for legal expenses insurance and so
will be covered for the cost of the lawyer and any costs
incurred ,This system is used by many drivers over here as a
means to combat any problems with any incidents as
regards the law, i.e.; speeding, accident etc. etc.

As long as you are over 13 in Belgium nobody will even give you a second glance.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I take it your joking malc?
Im in gent most weeks (not the nick tho :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: ). It has a large morroccan contingent living there.. I wouldnt imagine chokey is much fun :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We do know of a driver who hadn’t paid an old fine in Belgium, but he ignored it, he got pulled for an unrelated offence (overtaking in the rain) However the unpaid fine came to light and his feet didn’t touch the ground, the truck with a load of chocolate was impounded and Alan spent 6 months in a Belgian nick, :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
We do know of a driver who hadn’t paid an old fine in Belgium, but he ignored it, he got pulled for an unrelated offence (overtaking in the rain) However the unpaid fine came to light and his feet didn’t touch the ground, the truck with a load of chocolate was impounded and Alan spent 6 months in a Belgian nick, :laughing:

Tell the full story Malc.It was not just for an unpaid traffic fine was it?

Robbies Dad:

Wheel Nut:

Tell the full story Malc.It was not just for an unpaid traffic fine was it?

Poetic Licence Bob :laughing:

Got pulled by a couple of motorcycle cops on the Periferique one day, off at the next exit, Tacho checked, previous discs checked…OOOOPS!!!.. result "Neuf Cent Franc monsieur!!! :unamused: :unamused: Anyway, paid up there and then (from the vibe they were giving off I didnt think it prudent to invite them for a coffee to discuss the amount!! :laughing: :laughing: ) and didnt think to much more of it expecting the whole lot to go in their “coffee fund”!! :laughing: :laughing:

A few months later I recieved a registered letter from France saying that the case was going to court and that although there was no requirment for me to attend the court,should I wish to then a date,day and time had been arranged.(yeah right,lets go!! :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: )

A while later i recieved another letter saying that in my absence I had been found guilty of the offence and the fine was…900 Francs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …Surprise (zb)ing Surprise

As this amount had already been paid the case was now considered closed and that was that.

Been back to France a few times since then, including entering via an Airport but have never had any hassle…YET!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

give it a whirl malc - they’d probably release you after 4 days and it’d be an experience at least :laughing:

i know a lad who was quite naughty in italy this time last year (no abnormal permit and no pilot) and left his V5 and passport with the policia and broke for the border, well patras ferry anyway! he’s changed his motor since but i wouldn’t fancy keep going there knowing any pull for a minor infringement or routine check might land me straight in chokey without passing GO nor collecting £200!

jj72:
give it a whirl malc - they’d probably release you after 4 days and it’d be an experience at least :laughing:

i know a lad who was quite naughty in italy this time last year (no abnormal permit and no pilot) and left his V5 and passport with the policia and broke for the border, well patras ferry anyway! he’s changed his motor since but i wouldn’t fancy keep going there knowing any pull for a minor infringement or routine check might land me straight in chokey without passing GO nor collecting £200!

I think Robbies Dad should answer this one, as it was he who was approached to stand bail and give a character reference, as the company he worked for washed his hands of it, as too did Robbies Dad :laughing:

You wouldn’t want to be in the jungle with a poisonous snake bite on your arse :smiley:

bit of confusion maybe wheelnut, i meant the first bit for the original poster malcolmj - sorry I should have been clearer

spill the beans on the other story though if you can - sounds ‘entertaining’ to me?

the full story is on here somewhere i have to go to work now but im sure someone could serch it out it happened in june 2008