Pay difference, equal rights

listening to drivers moan at our place, don’t normally take to much notice, as it tends to get tedious at times.
A points being raised and I am actually curious to a possible answer.
All the drivers are salaried to the same contract.10 hour shifts.
Apart from a shunter who has been given a significant pay rise, around £5k a year extra.
The shunting used to be a two man job, reduced it to a one man job.when the drivers who go out and about come back, they are expected to cover the work the shunter doesn’t complete, as he goes home at 2.
Drivers are moaning as he gets extra money and can’t complete the task within 10 hours, can management expect drivers who are paid less to complete his task, I thought they could ask you but other members of staff say they can’t expect it as he is paid significantly more.
Thanks

Casper1877:
listening to drivers moan at our place, don’t normally take to much notice, as it tends to get tedious at times.
Apart from a shunter who has been given a significant pay rise, around £5k a year extra.
The shunting used to be a two man job, reduced it to a one man job.when the drivers who go out and about come back, they are expected to cover the work the shunter doesn’t complete, as he goes home at 2.
Drivers are moaning as he gets extra money and can’t complete the task within 10 hours, can management expect drivers who are paid less to complete his task, I thought they could ask you but other members of staff say they can’t expect it as he is paid significantly more.
Thanks

I suspect the answer will be yes, though the details will be in your contract of employment.

If you can’t complete the shunting part of the job in ten hours and they don’t pay you more, then you can ask for overtime.

Whatever the shunter is paid though is nothing to do with you, it’s a different job.

albion:

Casper1877:
Thanks

I suspect the answer will be yes, though the details will be in your contract of employment.

If you can’t complete the shunting part of the job in ten hours and they don’t pay you more, then you can ask for overtime.

Whatever the shunter is paid though is nothing to do with you, it’s a different job.

And he is doing the work of two men, so he earns his dosh and going home @ 14.00 is part of his package :wink:

It’s the same all over, I don’t see a problem with picking up my own load and taking it straight out if the shunter is struggling to keep up. If he is now doing the job of two men then he is entitled to a pay increase due to his work load increase. Drivers helping out if finished in time or receiving as overtime is normal too.

Best not to get back too early then if you don’t want to do shunting. But at the end of the day they’re paying your wages and if your 10 aren’t up then they can ask you then it’s up to you what you tell them !!