pay and wages

Hi folks, thanks for the help so far, last couple of questions before i commit…what .Should i pay my driver?, i need to set him a decent rate plus night out money without bankrupting myself…he will be the main driver on the 17tonner… :angry: :open_mouth: …cheers chris .

Can’t really help regarding the amount of wage etc as I don’t know the rates for your area, or for class C drivers for that matter, but shouldn’t you have worked that out before working out the ppm rate. Drivers wages will be your single biggest outlay and any ppm rate without taking the full amount into consideration will be wrong and could lead to problems if you have set the rate too low.

thanks fer that coffeeholic, I,ve allowed 22k on my costings to include wages and expenses such as nights out, That should cover the actual outlay, but the way its structured, ie basic+o/t+nights out is, I suppose what I,m really asking, If I could just hand him the 20k plus the N.I. it would be relatively easy, how do i find out the wage rates for the midlands?, I got onto a union website to ask them but didnt get answered, cheers chris :slight_smile:

You go here :

Choose Transport/drivers/LGV drivers and hit submit then type in Kidderminster on the location page and off you go.

You need to take into account that your area is also suffering the alleged driver shortage and all the agencies are after the same limited amount of drivers.

Imho, in order for you to get a driver reasonably quickly you need to offer good money and for a class 2 bloke you need to start at £7/hr + time 1.5 I reckon, with £7.50/hr + time 1.5 more ideal. £20 night out minimum, more if you can afford it. All of this won’t guarantee you a good driver though and s/he may take the ■■■■ and smash up your motor. If you can’t offer that money then be prepared for a lonnnnnnnnnng wait to get a driver and even when you do get one, be aware that s/he might not stay long. What motor will they be driving? If it’s an FL6 crock-of-[zb] then you’d best double the money coz no [zb] want to drive them!

If it were me I would interview them and see if I liked them and if I did and they liked the sound of the pay and job then definitely have them take the wagon for a half hours’ spin to see how they drive. Doing this could save you a lot of money in the long-term imho.

Hope that’s of some use.

Cheers.

brilliant, thanks rob, on to it right now, cheers chris

Another thing to keep in mind is that the wage you want to pay your driver isnt what you pay.

You have to add in
employers contribution to N.I
Holiday pay
sick pay
paternity/maternity pay/leave
the extra paperwork involved in the paye system
them only being able to work an average of 48 hours from next year

etc etc etc
:unamused: