Pavement Parking Ban

So they’ve rolled out the pavement parking ban in Edinburgh. Has anyone had difficulties getting down the already narrow streets (Builders Merchant’s, etc) yet?

I appreciate wheelchair users have a hard time on the pavements but surely some trucks just aren’t going to manage deliveries now?

just a thought.

depending on the area maybe most of the cars will be gone after 9am. However, maybe its an idea the people that buy these houses actually think about what car parking is like and make sure they have the appropriate amount of space to park with out blocking the pavement or the road. Even better don’t put a store that is going to need delivery from anything bigger than a post office van in a residential area.

rant over back to op’s post. where i live we have the same problem with cars parked in awkward places so the bin lorry cant get through. They just take a picture and drive off.

Obstructing the road by bad parking is an offence.
I do not think that “I`m not allowed on the pavement” is a valid defence in law.

Makes me smile though, living in France as I do where it is almost a religion to park half and half, some places even make it official by painting car sized boxes on both. :grin:

Although there is no need to park on pavements in our larger village the council do their best to make things difficult running up to each Christmas by completely blocking the pavement with Christmas trees. :roll_eyes:

I served in Germany where on alternate days you parked half on the pavement leaving one side clear for traffic.

More councils are calling for a pavement parking ban claiming if they are to meet the conditions set out by the government for active travel.

"Government’s ambition for half of all trips in England’s towns and cities to be walked, wheeled or cycled by 2030, then it makes sense to give councils across the country the same powers as in the capital, making our streets safer and footpaths open for everyone.” Councils call for pavement parking ban