Pause for thought

Ok so I’ve just opened my truck and driver mag and found an insert for a service offering a product that can remove the need for the ad blue system. If we were to assume that someone took them up on the offer and were to venture into London LEZ there truck according to the manufacturer is say euro 5 but the removal of ad blue system would make it euro 3 (if I’m not mistaken which is banned from the LEZ yes) would they be done for it or would the anpr camera still think its euro 5

Thought please

LEZ is ANPR, so no issues there.

You would have issues with warranties and possibly MOT’s if your emissions are high (I think someone pointed out it would still pass the test without it but not sure)

That’s exactly what I thought too apart from the test part hadn’t thought of that or warranties

No issues with LEZ.
No issues with MOT

Some say you feel an increase in horse power - this is ■■■■■ - you don’t

On our new Actros’,we have one or two cases of warning lights showing up a fault on the Adblue system,usually the exhaust sensor.
They usually show up first as a flashing amber icon,before changing to a permanent amber,which means attend to ASAP,the next stage is red for STOP.
The first time this happened,I had the MB technician out to sus the problem and he told me that if the warning is amber,you can drive it OK but only until you can get the fault fixed.
He also told me that it’s not unknown for people pay out good money for such a truck,then put water in the Adblue tank to save money!

Putting water in the system is a very expensive myth. The cost in ad blue for my volvo is approx £15 a week. Roughly a quid a job. The only benefit to these bypass systems is if the system is giving you a problem

I don’t know if trucks are different, but there’s no emissions test on a diesel car, only a smoke test.

Where I used to work, the brand new Merc MP4 was about 3 weeks old when the ad-blue developed a fault, it reported a fault on the dash and stopped using ad-blue but it never reduced the engine power.
We had Mercedes out to it and it also went into them and the fault was not fixed, I just kept recording the fault in the defect book and driving it.

We used to use 1 tank of ad-blue per day on all our trucks (ran day and night mon - fri), so the saving would add up quickly, not to mention the hassle saving - we used to fill up manually.

Was it next to the advert that tells you that you can run your motor on water!

Con job.Input from thermal sensors NOx sensors ,diffuser valve,Add blue temp and tank sensors,feed pressure sensors and even combustion chamber temp sensors all have to be over ridden.Not a real problem but if you get a read out at MOT then sensor outputs would be so constant that the customs man would be all over you like a rash.
For a start NOx readings should go high when the vehicle is on warm up due to lock out of add blue system till the engine is at normal operating temp.

bestbooties:
On our new Actros’,we have one or two cases of warning lights showing up a fault on the Adblue system,usually the exhaust sensor.
They usually show up first as a flashing amber icon,before changing to a permanent amber,which means attend to ASAP,the next stage is red for STOP.
The first time this happened,I had the MB technician out to sus the problem and he told me that if the warning is amber,you can drive it OK but only until you can get the fault fixed.
He also told me that it’s not unknown for people pay out good money for such a truck,then put water in the Adblue tank to save money!

Undo the air feed to the diffuser,remove the stupid crap liitle air filter,pour a kettle of boiling water down the diffuser to clear it,refit air supply.Fire engine and rev it to max.Yellow flashing light ( current fault) will change to solid yellow( stored emission fault) then you need DAS to remove stored fault by entering MR and deleting fault on quick test.

Or just leave it well alone… HTH.

In my last job a drove an actros is used roughly one tank of ad blue to one tank of diesel.
After a routine service I noticed it wasn’t hardly using any ad blue so I phone the fitter to tell him. He told me not to worry he had turned it down, it was great, a full tank of Adblue would now last over a month! :smiley:

Thereal-john:
In my last job a drove an actros is used roughly one tank of ad blue to one tank of diesel.
After a routine service I noticed it wasn’t hardly using any ad blue so I phone the fitter to tell him. He told me not to worry he had turned it down, it was great, a full tank of Adblue would now last over a month! :smiley:

“turned it down”!!!
WTF!

Thereal-john:

A tank of Ad-blue to a tank of diesel? An 800 litre diesel tank?
If not it needed turning down.
40 litres of ad-blue should last around 2000 - 2500 km, depending on mpg/weight.

I think that the adblue to diesel ratio is 6%, so 6litres of adblue to 100litres of diesel for normal highway use, more if the engine is working hard in traffic or in hilly terrain.

As for deleting the system, be very careful, some of the EGR delete programmes in the US have taken the auto shut downs for coolant temp or similar out of the ECU as the shut downs are linked, I’ve heard of people blowing up engines through this.

Bking:
Was it next to the advert that tells you that you can run your motor on water!

Con job.

not really, the box works like it should. pull the fuse for the ad-blue system with the box installed and it won’t use any. put the fuse back for MOT time and all is well.

Pull the fuse for add blue?
Well bugger it pull the fuse for the tacho as well!
What the [zb] are you talking about.
What bloody fuse its all logged on the can bus.

well talking from my own experience only, no doubt you’d come on here to claim the earth is flat again.