Paul Wardle&Jimmy Murray-----Jimmy Murray&Paul Wardle

Now these two fine hauliers ran a couple of “A” licenced four wheelers mainly between Scotland and South Wales,Fire Brick South and Steel and general North,they were both well known and were a credit to the industry.You couldn’t imagine trying to emulate them to-day as times and traffic have changed so much(for the worse),has anyone got any info or photos on these two lads,I know they did have some sort of disagreement but obviously this was personal.But characters they surely were,no doubt !Cheers Bewick.

I had a long chat with Paul Wardle at a vintage vehicle event at Lanark cattle market in September last year . I did find him a very interesting and pleasant person to meet , unfortunately people of this calibre are now very rare in the transport industry .

Hi Bewick
Are you referring to Paul Wardle from Weslinton Carlisle who when I met him over 20 years ago was operating a 4-wheel E.R.F. flat some shots which I have put on here. I took these photo’s in 1992 shortly before he retired, I believe he retired in 1993/4, I remember after taking these shots he invited me in for a cup of tea and some cakes his wife Sylvia had made and they are the best butterfly cakes I have ever had.
Paul is a real gent he always said if I was passing to call in and have a chat which I did on the odd occasion nowadays I normally bump into him at some of the shows the last time I spoke to him was at the Barnie truck show 2012, after he retired he kept his E.R.F and used to go round the shows with it but a few years ago he lost his license to drive anything bigger than a car so now goes round the shows in a Morris van, his E.R.F. ended up in Scotland I believe but I will try and see if I can get some more info on this later. regards prattman.

As for Jimmy,he ran a Commer Maxiload 4 wheeler as I think Paul did prior to buying the ERF,there is a shot on the thread IIRC of Jimmy’s Commer.Cheers Bewick.

prattman:
Hi Bewick
Are you referring to Paul Wardle from Weslinton Carlisle who when I met him over 20 years ago was operating a 4-wheel E.R.F. flat some shots which I have put on here. I took these photo’s in 1992 shortly before he retired, I believe he retired in 1993/4, I remember after taking these shots he invited me in for a cup of tea and some cakes his wife Sylvia had made and they are the best butterfly cakes I have ever had.
Paul is a real gent he always said if I was passing to call in and have a chat which I did on the odd occasion nowadays I normally bump into him at some of the shows the last time I spoke to him was at the Barnie truck show 2012, after he retired he kept his E.R.F and used to go round the shows with it but a few years ago he lost his license to drive anything bigger than a car so now goes round the shows in a Morris van, his E.R.F. ended up in Scotland I believe but I will try and see if I can get some more info on this later. regards prattman.

Your right Gary, Paul is “great crack” a very interesting man to listen to. Regards Kev.

" Slowly ,…down the ramps , she comes " !.

Paul`s E.R.F. , as it arrives at Hethersgill Vintage Rally , Carlisle , a couple of years ago.

I understand that when Paul (reluctantly ) sold the E.R.F. , it was on condition that it had to remain in his original livery .
The purchasers , Plant Services of Paisley , (correct name ?) were quite happy to oblige .

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Paul , with his Austin/Morris 1000 van , as he partakes in a " ■■■■■■■■■■ Run" , a couple of years ago.
Photographed on the A 66 near Keswick.

He must have been toeing it , because I almost missed including his van in the photograph. :laughing:

Scan78.jpg

A more-recent photograph of Paul in his Morris van .
Taken at Hethersgill Vintage Rally , last Sunday morning.