PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

coomsey:
Saw this babe n thought of you Dean! I know you like your Volvos :smiley: NMP off FB

Looks like a yard shunter for H.C.Davis from Corby coomsey, maybe in British Steel?

coomsey:
Saw this babe n thought of you Dean! I know you like your Volvos :smiley: NMP off FB

One way to reduce the rare weight. :wink:

Buzzer

steam:

Buzzer:
Dean do you know ought about this company, Buzzer

My Pictures of the Leyland Marathon I drove back in 1984 for Lytchett Minster transport which at the time was part of RA Bugler transport. The picture with the EF Philips trailer on was when I delivered to Sywell Airfield, Northants and the other picture of the tractor unit was taken by me at the yard behind the St. Peters Finger pub, Lytchett Minster. both 1984

I thought it was something to do with Bugler,cant remember Lychett Minster Transport “steam” but thanks for confirming. :wink:

coomsey:

Shocking “coomsey” :open_mouth:

Here’s a few more half cab’s.

half cab ford crane 69.PNG

bedford half cab 67 poily.PNG

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Dorchester & Wareham Transport run a nice fleet Buzzer. :wink:

There’s a really interesting write up on Harry Perry and the story of Dorchester Transport and Wareham Transport in Julys Heritage Commercials!

Dorset:
There’s a really interesting write up on Harry Perry and the story of Dorchester Transport and Wareham Transport in Julys Heritage Commercials!

Intresting “Dorset” will get a copy. :wink:

Dorset:

Hi Dorset,

I remember H V Perry when I was doing round timber they had a Mammoth Major with a Hiab,good old days.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard
Apparently he used to buy round timber to cut at his own mill in Wareham to make pit props and sell to the ball clay mine at furzebrook. I think that was in the 50s at the same time as he started Wareham transport,whether he was still doing the same with the timber when he had the mammoth major I’m not sure. Yes they were good old days

MaggieD:
“Dorset” There’s a really interesting write up on Harry Perry and the story of Dorchester Transport and Wareham Transport in Julys Heritage Commercials!
Hi Dorset,

I remember H V Perry when I was doing round timber they had a Mammoth Major with a Hiab,good old days.

Regards
Richard

Dorset:
Hi Richard
Apparently he used to buy round timber to cut at his own mill in Wareham to make pit props and sell to the ball clay mine at furzebrook. I think that was in the 50s at the same time as he started Wareham transport,whether he was still doing the same with the timber when he had the mammoth major I’m not sure. Yes they were good old days

Here’s his Mammoth Major on timber. Can either of you remember why he packed in,did he retire and sell up ?

DEANB:

MaggieD:
“Dorset” There’s a really interesting write up on Harry Perry and the story of Dorchester Transport and Wareham Transport in Julys Heritage Commercials!
Hi Dorset,

Regards
Richard

Dorset:
Hi Richard

Here’s his Mammoth Major on timber. Can either of you remember why he packed in,did he retire and sell up ?

Hi Dean,

Hope you are keeping well,I’m not sure when he packed in the timber haulage, a bit different to general work and a bit harder on the vehicles, having to sometimes going miles along forestry tracks to pick up your load.Here’s a photo of my old Marshall looking a bit sorry for itself.

Regards
Richard

Hi Dean
Harry Perry packed up in 1987 when he retired at 69. Dorchester transport and warehousing,Wareham transport,Lee Line commercials,HV Perry and the remaining assets of Blandford transport were sold to AAH,he had 38 units and 48 trailers. Baylis took it over from them in 1997 and dropped the Dorchester transport name. Dorchester transport was finally dissolved in 2000. Harry Perry died in Poole hospital in 2004. Not my own story btw,it’s what I read from the comic :slight_smile:

Kempston:

coomsey:

Looks like a yard shunter for H.C.Davis from Corby coomsey, maybe in British Steel?

Yes it was a hc davis shunter in the works, we did 2 of them. And that one wasn’t as bad as the f86 yard shunter that had 3 low range gears inc reverse, , no high range , no lights etc , but it still got stolen for a joy ride into corby town centre.
Tony ex davis’s

tonyj105:
“Kempston”

Yes it was a hc davis shunter in the works, we did 2 of them. And that one wasn’t as bad as the f86 yard shunter that had 3 low range gears inc reverse, , no high range , no lights etc , but it still got stolen for a joy ride into corby town centre.
Tony ex davis’s

Thanks for the info Tony. :wink:

Dorset:
Hi Dean
Harry Perry packed up in 1987 when he retired at 69. Dorchester transport and warehousing,Wareham transport,Lee Line commercials,HV Perry and the remaining assets of Blandford transport were sold to AAH,he had 38 units and 48 trailers. Baylis took it over from them in 1997 and dropped the Dorchester transport name. Dorchester transport was finally dissolved in 2000. Harry Perry died in Poole hospital in 2004. Not my own story btw,it’s what I read from the comic :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info “Dorset” Wareham & Dorchester were both good looking fleets. :wink:

oiltreader:
Anyone recognise the Scania logger ■■
Allan Rowlands of Wem and credit to SCP for the photo.
Oily

( Alan used to run with R.W. Powell loggers from wem own by Russell Powell no longer trading)

Buzzer

DEANB:
What do you reckon then Dennis,somewhere around £13 to £15,000 ? I know in 1975 a f88 was about £16,000.

IIRC Dean in Jan 1977 I paid £13,500 for a Scania 111 5 speed day cab, £14,000 for a 10speed day cab and £15,000 apiece for a Sleeper cab 240LXB Sed Atk and an F88.all net of VAT which was claimed back ! Cheers Dennis.
[/quote]
Thanks Dennis, so basically a sleeper was costing about a grand more !
[/quote]
That’s about right Dean ! although in late 1975 I sent a couple of new Atki Borderers to a firm in Cheshire, just can’t recall the name, to have “sleeper” conversions but they were a lot less than £1,000 each. Cheers Dennis.
[/quote]
Sounds like Jennings Dennis,they were based in Crewe ?

[/quote]
These sleepers actually had the nick name coffins as they were the same size as a coffin.

Hi Paul just felt that i had to contact you over some of the old, old trucks in your pictures first of all great pictures and thanks as I am now retired I remember lot’s of these companies up and down the UK I do wonder how many of the new and younger drivers of toady would be so eager to be a long distances driver with all those old day cabs you have brought lot’s of memories flooding back to me but all good ones just wanted to say thank you for posting those pictures you have made an old man very happy but feeling a lot older :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Buzzer:
Dean one from your end, Buzzer

Oh blimey I used to tramp all over the UK in one of these babies :laughing: :laughing:

bigmiler:
Hi Paul just felt that i had to contact you over some of the old, old trucks in your pictures first of all great pictures and thanks as I am now retired I remember lot’s of these companies up and down the UK I do wonder how many of the new and younger drivers of toady would be so eager to be a long distances driver with all those old day cabs you have brought lot’s of memories flooding back to me but all good ones just wanted to say thank you for posting those pictures you have made an old man very happy but feeling a lot older :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Big Miler - thanks for the kind comments!!! Glad you enjoyed the photos and they brought back some memories for you - I have been taking photos for over 50 years now and still enjoy going out with the camera for a few hours at the side of the road - things have changed so much in the last 50 years it is amazing when you see one from back then alongside the enormous beasts of today!!! Stick a Borderer alongside a Daf XG+!!! the difference in size is amazing!!! and the power that they have these days - over 500 BHP in a tipper!!! I can remember when they used to slow to walking Pace and less when they just saw a hill on the horizon - now they hardly need to drop a gear!!!

Thanks again for your comments - all the best Paul

Buzzer:
Montague Mayer were in the docks through Dock gate 10 in West Bay Road, they used contract hauliers for most of the work and that Maggie looks like the colours of SRT but I may be wrong, there was a main contractor but the name at the moment is away from my grey matter but they ran mostly red Volvos and had a yard near Stoneham lane IIRC someone will know who I am referring too, we bought an old F88 wreck of them for parts when we were doing up VTA 872S our F88, cheers Buzzer

Yeah the Maggie was on contract hire from SRT before being taking over by meachers transport and driven by my old man and Mickey Cole’s , the other haulage company was RCS Haulage based as you said in stoneham lane Eastleigh owned by Richard Smith.