PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Good idea of having brought back to our memory this long-forgotten truck maker!

essexpete
Everyday a learning. Not heard of Peerless lorries in the UK.
Peerless wasn’t a British Company, the Parent company was Peerless Motor Company of Cleveland, Ohio. They began with WWI imports to Britain with many thousands used in France. After WWI Peerless trucks were reconditioned by Slough Lorries and Components Ltd and by 1920 they sold 5 Ton Lorries for £225. The company changed its name to Peerless Trading Co and later Peerless Lorries Ltd. The Trader model was built around 1925 from parts imported from Ohio, it had Pneumatic tyres on the front axle and solids on the rear chain drive axle, they alleged this gave better traction and road adhesion. The photo attached shows a WWI Peerless lorry in 1937 that has been previously converted to carry a WWI Gun, these were the first mobile Anti-Aircraft Guns the British used. Franky.

i910690.jpg

Geordielad:
essexpete
Everyday a learning. Not heard of Peerless lorries in the UK.
Peerless wasn’t a British Company, the Parent company was Peerless Motor Company of Cleveland, Ohio. They began with WWI imports to Britain with many thousands used in France. After WWI Peerless trucks were reconditioned by Slough Lorries and Components Ltd and by 1920 they sold 5 Ton Lorries for £225. The company changed its name to Peerless Trading Co and later Peerless Lorries Ltd. The Trader model was built around 1925 from parts imported from Ohio, it had Pneumatic tyres on the front axle and solids on the rear chain drive axle, they alleged this gave better traction and road adhesion. The photo attached shows a WWI Peerless lorry in 1937 that has been previously converted to carry a WWI Gun, these were the first mobile Anti-Aircraft Guns the British used. Franky.

Me either but I do know them from manufacturing pumps.

Back in the 60’s when I used to ride with dad during school holidays he used to deliver grain to Sonning Mill on the Thames. It was owned by Witherington and Over Brothers and there was an elderly forward control Peerless lorry dumped out of service behind the mill. Their current livery at that time was a brown colour but this was painted green, I’m guessing that it went for scrap when the mill closed and then became a high class restuarant etc.

Pete.

Another advert, Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Strange thing there! The wheel in the middle definitely doesn’t touch the ground, and rather looks like a spare wheel.

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Strange thing there! The wheel in the middle definitely doesn’t touch the ground, and rather looks like a spare wheel.

I do not think it is a spare wheel Froggy. The text says a 6-wheel vehicle, so I reckon we are seeing the fifth wheel and the sixth wheel is hidden from view. I agree the wheel you refer to does not appear to be touching the ground. But then the whole picture appears to be tidied up somewhat, so perhaps it was cocked up some what too!

The Nippy has a very narrow rear axle on the tractor. Photo on link makes it clear.
locomotionhorsnormes.e-monsite.c … actors.pdf
Straussler wasnt afraid of being different! Some really radical off-road designs!

Buzzer

A couple for today, mate on a tight delivery & euro Volvo delivering to my work

Advert, Buzzer

I have to agree Buzzer, great piece of artwork on the Gilder Scanias!

Albion Cairn, credit to Steve Glover for the photo.
Oily

oiltreader:
Albion Claymore, credit to Steve Glover for the photo.
Oily

What a smart little motor this Albion is Eddie. Because its wheels are only 6 Stud nuts,
would it be equal to todays 7 & half ton G.V.W. lorries ?. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Oily wrote;
Is it not the smaller Laird with the six stud wheels, the eight stud Claymore was for 4 and 5 Ton. This is a Claymore. Franky.

Dean must be on vacation, Buzzer

Geordielad:
Oily wrote;
Is it not the smaller Laird with the six stud wheels, the eight stud Claymore was for 4 and 5 Ton. This is a Claymore. Franky.

Can’t find an Albion Laird anywhere Geordielad, Claymore info here:- archive.commercialmotor.com/art … ton-oilers
Cheers
Oily

oiltreader:

Geordielad:
Oily wrote;

Can’t find an Albion Laird anywhere Geordielad, Claymore info here:- archive.commercialmotor.com/art … ton-oilers
Cheers
Oily

It’s an Albion Cairn, lighter version of the Claymore and very rare even in it’s day
Bernard

albion1938:

oiltreader:

Geordielad:
Oily wrote;

Cheers
Oily

It’s an Albion Cairn, lighter version of the Claymore and very rare even in it’s day
Bernard

You just beat me to it Bernard :slight_smile: flickr.com/photos/tags/jpr472/
Oily