DEANB:
Mervyn Thomas Scania.

S.M.Davies tidy MAN.

Gerry Jones MAN.

Gwynedd Shipping Volvo.

Anyone know where the Griffiths Scania is from ■■

Anyone know where the Meakins Volvo F88 is from ■■

ICI AEC Mammoth Minor.

Dont remember having a Edwin Still motor on before.

Christian Salvesen Volvo F86.

One of your favourites Daz. Harry A Coff Routeman.

Hi Dean great to see some old photos on this thread again with a big surprise seeing this other Harry A Coff routeman tipper on here loaded up with gravel Thank you for your time posting up on the again nice work from you all the guys all the time love it mate All the very best from Daz :smiley: :wink:

DEANB:
W.M.Dobson from Edinburgh.

atkinson dobson 69.PNG

Interesting to see all the Wm Dobson stuff, thank you, Dean :slight_smile:

Curious about the photo of the Dobson Rear Steer tractor, describing a driveline it clearly doesn’t have: you can see the Gardner badge on the radiator! :laughing:

I reckon it’s on the 10’6" wheelbase too, and not as per the caption. If I remember rightly, there are three wagons on the page you scanned it from, and one of the others is clearly mis-described too.

The article made interesting reading as well, thank you!

I sent you a pm Pete; spent three hours friday afternoon there waiting to be towed onto the site and then asked to be towed off again as there was no way I was going to get onto the field. More folk were leaving than entering, the deluge of rain friday afternoon added to an already waterlogged field that hadn’t dried out from the rain a month or more ago. Traffic was queued for miles on the main road while they attempted to tow trucks, steamers and lowloaders onto the site. Took me and a mate two hours yesterday to clean my van, mud was blocking the rad core, the fuel cooler and was wedged around the brake calipers. Pic here of me being towed by a Major, he couldn’t shift me and got stuck himself!

Morning Pete,
Yes it was terrible everywhere on the site, I spent an hour in the beer tent which its self was under 6 inches of water and went home, a few pics of the rest of the site,
Thanks for the PM but I can only log on using the laptop, the phone is useless! Cheers Pete

nr 4.jpg

nr 3.jpg

Beer tent sounded like a good option Pete ! :smiley: Reckon it was more than an hour looking at those pics. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

DEANB:
Beer tent sounded like a good option Pete ! :smiley: Reckon it was more than an hour looking at those pics. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Only 2 hrs on the site in total Dean, didn’t want to get held up for 2 hours trying to get off the car park!

Supposed to be summer! I agree with the term climate change but global warming? Come off it, 17c in July and ■■■■■■■ down with rain every day…

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Curious about the photo of the Dobson Rear Steer tractor, describing a driveline it clearly doesn’t have: you can see the Gardner badge on the radiator! :laughing:

I reckon it’s on the 10’6" wheelbase too, and not as per the caption. If I remember rightly, there are three wagons on the page you scanned it from, and one of the others is clearly mis-described too.

Wm Dobson was always present in BP Grangemouth,they did a lot of Ethanol,and I remember seeing a 3-axled ERF of theirs in there,must have been early 70s.Unfortunately I didn’t take much notice of it engine wise,it was on the weighbridge.I’m sure I’ve seen a photo of another one of Dobsons with the 240 in.
The had wagons on contract to Scottish and Newcastle Breweries as well.Not my photo.

dobson.jpg

windrush:
We had a few ‘lost wheels’ when I worked for Tilcon, we never did find any of them though! The late Mick Foxon phoned in one day from Watford Gap southbound, he had his S50 halfcab Foden almost at full wack in the centre lane when a vibration started so Mick did the obvious thing ( :exclamation: ) and put his foot down even harder until eventually the vibration stopped. He said that he noticed coach passengers waving at him so waved back, then he needed a ‘leak’ so pulled into the services and when he came out noticed that a set of wheels was missing on the fourth axle. Goodness knows where the wheels went, he reckoned he had travelled twenty+ miles without them. We took a hub and wheels down to him and got him on his way again. Bert Weston lost a set as well and he did notice them vanishing across the opposite carriageway and down the bank luckily missing vehicles, we never bothered looking for them though as they would be knackered. I never lost any but had plenty of front wheel studs snap on the last Foden six wheeler I had because it was always overweight on the front axle, I lost three on one wheel at a site near Wigston and came back to the yard very steadily! :laughing:

Pete.

I remember reading that it was fairly regular for trucks to loose there wheels Pete. :unamused: Surprised there were not more comments about wheel loss.

Beacon Hill Brick company had this Leyland 6 wheeler leave a site in Wimborne to go back to Corfe Mullen which is only about 3/4 miles and when he
arrived back at the yard the rear n/s wheels were both missing. :laughing: Luckily no one was hurt and they found them in a field. :laughing:

Member petecud wrote this about a Marsden Volvo F88 he was driving earlier in the thread.Again luckily no one was injured. :laughing:

A00187.JPG

Dont loose your wheel nuts 1984.

wheel nuts 84 ppg.PNG

Kempston:
Didn’t we have someone on here a couple of months ago that used to drive for Clark’s of Wellingborough?

Cant remember “Kempston” :wink:

smallcoal:
Hi dean,griffiths are from Swansea that’s one of their older trucks,this is the newer ones

Thanks for the pics John,tidy motors. :smiley:

Heres a few Paul just sent me. :wink:

pig pen:
“DEANB”

Anyone know where the Wildes Scania is based ■■

They are a plant hire firm from Shrewsbury

Thanks “pig pen” :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Hi Dean great to see some old photos on this thread again with a big surprise seeing this other Harry A Coff routeman tipper on here loaded up with gravel Thank you for your time posting up on the again nice work from you all the guys all the time love it mate All the very best from Daz :smiley: :wink:

Glad you liked them Daz,think that’s the last one of Coff’s chap,apart from this clipping where he bought some Bedford’s. :wink:

tipper coff 61.PNG

240 Gardner:
“DEANB” W.M.Dobson from Edinburgh.

Glad you liked the Dobson stuff Chris. :smiley:

pete smith:
“DEANB” Beer tent sounded like a good option Pete ! :smiley: Reckon it was more than an hour looking at those pics. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Only 2 hrs on the site in total Dean, didn’t want to get held up for 2 hours trying to get off the car park!

:laughing: :wink:

Kempston:
Supposed to be summer! I agree with the term climate change but global warming? Come off it, 17c in July and ■■■■■■■ down with rain every day…

:wink:

Chris Webb:
“DEANB”

Wm Dobson was always present in BP Grangemouth,they did a lot of Ethanol,and I remember seeing a 3-axled ERF of theirs in there,must have been early 70s.Unfortunately I didn’t take much notice of it engine wise,it was on the weighbridge.I’m sure I’ve seen a photo of another one of Dobsons with the 240 in.
The had wagons on contract to Scottish and Newcastle Breweries as well.Not my photo.

Thanks for the comments and pic Chris. :smiley:

George Ward Guy Big J from Leeds.

ward leeds 79 ppg.PNG

Pandoro ERF which is the same reg as the clipping.

1975 pandoro ppg.PNG

Sun Valley ERF.

Huntley & Palmers Foden.

huntley palmers 58 ppg.PNG

Not had a Hoveringham motor on for a long time.Must do a bit on Hoveringham.

foden hoveringham ppg.PNG

Hi Dean Dobsons yard and warehousing is now Straiton retail park.cheers Ray

DEANB:

Kempston:
Didn’t we have someone on here a couple of months ago that used to drive for Clark’s of Wellingborough?

Cant remember “Kempston” :wink:

smallcoal:
Hi dean,griffiths are from Swansea that’s one of their older trucks,this is the newer ones

Thanks for the pics John,tidy motors. :smiley:

Heres a few Paul just sent me. :wink:

pig pen:
“DEANB”

Anyone know where the Wildes Scania is based ■■

They are a plant hire firm from Shrewsbury

Thanks “pig pen” :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Glad you liked them Daz,think that’s the last one of Coff’s chap,apart from this clipping where he bought some Bedford’s. :wink:

1. hI Dean thats great thanks for your input love it

240 Gardner:
“DEANB” W.M.Dobson from Edinburgh.

Glad you liked the Dobson stuff Chris. :smiley:

pete smith:
“DEANB” Beer tent sounded like a good option Pete ! :smiley: Reckon it was more than an hour looking at those pics. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

:laughing: :wink:

Kempston:

:wink:

Chris Webb:
“DEANB”

Thanks for the comments and pic Chris. :smiley:

Hi Paul,

Nice to see you back, glad you’ve got your computer back.

Meakins were from the Reading area if my memory serves me right.Looks like Princes in Southampton supplied the unit going by the reg.

Regards
Richard

F100E9B0-078F-4009-B715-B7CD8A1B12F5.png

At shanks we had a responsibility to torque our wheel nuts once a week and had to sign to say we’d done it, also if we had a puncture which we frequently did we had to re-torque the nuts when next back at the depot or after 30 miles whichever came first and I have to say they frequently required tightening. We also had the wheel nut markers and a missing one was considered to be a defect and had to be defected at the end of the shift.

stargazer148:
Hi Dean Dobsons yard and warehousing is now Straiton retail park.cheers Ray

Thanks for the comment Ray. :wink:

MaggieD:
“DEANB”

Hi Paul,

Nice to see you back, glad you’ve got your computer back.

Meakins were from the Reading area if my memory serves me right.Looks like Princes in Southampton supplied the unit going by the reg.

Regards
Richard

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Thanks for the info Richard. :wink: Paul’s computer is fine… :wink:

Kempston:
At shanks we had a responsibility to torque our wheel nuts once a week and had to sign to say we’d done it, also if we had a puncture which we frequently did we had to re-torque the nuts when next back at the depot or after 30 miles whichever came first and I have to say they frequently required tightening. We also had the wheel nut markers and a missing one was considered to be a defect and had to be defected at the end of the shift.

I used to check the wheel as well Kempston 2 or 3 times the first day. These days with the guns they struggle to get them off they are on that tight. :laughing:

We have had some cracking Rugby Cement motors on here.

A04299p.JPG

Rugby Cement.

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:
We have had some cracking Rugby Cement motors on here.

Hay Dean what a lovely selction of Rugby cement photos and articles very good indeed many thanks again :smiley: :confused:

DEANB:
Pandoro ERF which is the same reg as the clipping.

Ermmmm it’s YTE 301N, and the clipping is YTE 303N :laughing:

YTE 303N was used in a series of P&O publicity photos - I wonder if it was one of the first in Pandoro livery: here it’s in the full Pandoro colour scheme, but the trailer number is an old Northern Ireland Trailers one, and there’s no fleet number on the tractor. All written down on a little note in my anorak pocket :laughing:

Here’s a slightly earlier one, in full Pandoro livery, but with Northern Ireland Trailers headboard in the old script: