PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Kempston:

pete smith:

Kempston:
Anyone know what make this London Brick Easidispose tanker is?

Leyland Hippo

Thanks Pete :slight_smile:

The RAF ran loads of those Hippos as six wheelers and tractor units.On the Thor missile bases where I was stationed they pulled the missile trailers.They were also used to pull the nuclear warhead trailers as seen in third photo. Looks like there’s an official visit what with all the bullsh** surrounding the convoy.I always wondered why those warhead trailers didn’t have double wheels.
Not my photos.

thor17.jpg

thor16.jpg

thor12.jpg

Bit late replying but been away and just got back. :wink:

Kempston:
Hemmings Foden Dean, I used to see them a lot when we used to run down to Avonmouth, I believe they are from or at least have a place down at Bristol.

Thanks for the info “Kempston” not a bad looking outfit. :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Anyone know where the Hemmings Volvo is from ■■

Hi Dean Hemmings are based in Bristol ps that is not a volvo its a Foden alpha :wink:

:unamused: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Daz.

kenfig bill:
Hello DEAN …the old man says thanks for the Sam Longson pics …he can well remember them in and out of Margham back in the 60s …Foden 8 tippers bringing in lime to the steelworks for several years …until it was all transferred to rail …lol …Geraint

Thanks for the input Geraint,will pop some more Welsh steel stuff on soon. :wink:

rigsby:
“kenfig bill” Hello DEAN …the old man says thanks for the Sam Longson pics …he can well remember them in and out of Margham back in the 60s …Foden 8 tippers bringing in lime to the steelworks for several years …until it was all transferred to rail …lol …Geraint

All us Buxton drivers did the Margham job , usually weekends and holidays when British Rail “lost the train “. Eventually it got so bad that rail was abandoned and a new bunker was installed for road lorries . The bottom discharge rail system was awful as we could only tip halfway and needed a lot of shunting and tipping to empty out .

Thanks for the comments Dave. :wink:

Kempston:
“5thwheel” “Kempston” “DEANB” Part 3 Container transport.

On the theme of containers did anyone see this story regarding a container being loaded onto a cab roof at Felixstowe?

Yes I spotted that BBC report,the Port of Felixstowe reported that the truck driver has positioned his vehicle incorrectly!!…….blame the driver again!

The driver was taken to hospital and later released without injuries.

I can recall when delivering and collecting Seatrain containers to/from Felixstowe,I had to leave the cab and wait in the drivers waiting area,they refused to load/unload any driver if he remained in his cab.
David

I thought that was strange too, can’t believe they don’t have a system in place like the one you mention along with a banksman in this day and age, it’s been around 20 years ago since I left Shanks and even on a landfill site you had to wait for a banksman to direct you where and when to go and tip.

Thanks for the pics and comments “Kempston”. :wink: David how the hell did the driver get out of that,let alone not have any injuries. :open_mouth: :smiley:

kingswinford kit:
“rigsby” “kenfig bill” Hello DEAN …the old man says thanks for the Sam Longson pics …he can well remember them in and out of Margham back in the 60s …Foden 8 tippers bringing in lime to the steelworks for several years …until it was all transferred to rail …lol …Geraint

All us Buxton drivers did the Margham job , usually weekends and holidays when British Rail “lost the train “. Eventually it got so bad that rail was abandoned and a new bunker was installed for road lorries . The bottom discharge rail system was awful as we could only tip halfway and needed a lot of shunting and tipping to empty out .

Hi ,Sam Longson ,i can remember parking up for the night at Hay on Wye car park ,their would be as many as a dozen of those Fodens each night ,also down the road at Winforton was that transport cafe long gone ,but again a familiar sight their for them ,regards and indeed happy days ,Keith

That must have been some sight Keith. :wink:

pv83:
Their HQ is in Flint, North Wales Dean, but they have several depots throughout the UK. Good to see that they’re still a independant company :wink:

More info here; brynthomascranes.com/about-us/

Nice to see you back Patrick ! :laughing: :laughing: Thanks for the info. :wink:

Chris Webb:
Sam Longson drivers also stayed overnight in Merthyr,I was told by one of their lads that they parked a loaded 8-legger under the digs’ bedroom window so they could climb up and get through window after landlady locked up. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: Thats a cracker Chris. :wink:

rigsby:
“kingswinford kit”

Hi ,Sam Longson ,i can remember parking up for the night at Hay on Wye car park ,their would be as many as a dozen of those Fodens each night ,also down the road at Winforton was that transport cafe long gone ,but again a familiar sight their for them ,regards and indeed happy days ,Keith

Hay on Wye was legendary , all came to an end when big george Kelly (6’5 semi pro wrestler) chucked a local troublemaker through the pub window without opening it first . Longson got banned after that , also the transport manager was fed up with the aggro . I always stayed at Griffs at Winforton , pack into his car at night , down to the Boat Inn . One of Longson drivers wed a local girl and ran the Sun Inn across the road from the cafe . Happy days , nearly 50years ago now .

:laughing: :laughing: Classic story Dave.

240 Gardner:
“DEANB” Some odds and sods.

Furness Transport 1968

Furness Transport was a part of T Brady & Sons of Barrow-in-Furness. As the text says, there were two of these, GEO 43/4F. 44 was later acquired by W. H. Bowker, and had its second steer removed, apparently without a wheelbase reduction.

Thanks for the pics and info Chris. :wink: Seems a bit odd that they removed the axle with the higher weights coming in. :unamused:

240 Gardner:
“DEANB” Some odds and sods.

“240gardner” Dont recall seeing too many of these Atkinson’s. 1970.

This was the two-man version of the steel cab supplied to Atkinson by Autolifts & Engineering Co. of Blackburn, and used primarily on the Atkinson dumper range. However, it was specified on some heavy haulage tractors too:

I think that this was the last one built:

Here’s one Down Under with Mayne Nickless:

And another Australian example, and which I think may also have been for MN:

This one was new to Graham Adams Limited of New Malden, as MLT 329D, but was kept for less than two years and exported to Jamaica, where it is seen here with P O [zb] Ltd.

Finally, where the cabs were normally seen: the Atkinson ‘Hy-Lode’ dumper range, in both full and half cab form

Thanks for the pics and info,good stuff Chris. :smiley: :wink: Must admit i never realised that was the dumper cabs on those heavy haulage units.

The Walsh one.

atkinson walsh.PNG

Heres a bit on the Mayne Nickless one.

Heres a bit on the Graham Adams one from 1966.

Atkinson dump trucks.

pete smith:
“Kempston” Anyone know what make this London Brick Easidispose tanker is?

Leyland Hippo

Thanks for the pic Kempston and for the name Pete. :wink:

Chris Webb:
The RAF ran loads of those Hippos as six wheelers and tractor units.On the Thor missile bases where I was stationed they pulled the missile trailers.They were also used to pull the nuclear warhead trailers as seen in third photo. Looks like there’s an official visit what with all the bullsh** surrounding the convoy.I always wondered why those warhead trailers didn’t have double wheels.
Not my photos.

Thanks for the pics Chris. :smiley: :wink: That last pic is a cracker with the trailer steers man sat on the seat. :wink:

Heres a few more RAF tankers. :wink:

We had a couple of those Atkinson dumpers at the quarry, 220 ■■■■■■■ engines and ZF six speed 'boxes. They had a lower load capacity than the Fodens we had, a smaller vehicle all round, but were nice to drive.

Pete.

windrush:
We had a couple of those Atkinson dumpers at the quarry, 220 ■■■■■■■ engines and ZF six speed 'boxes. They had a lower load capacity than the Fodens we had, a smaller vehicle all round, but were nice to drive.

Pete.

Thanks for the comments Pete,heres a few more. :wink:

Container trucks.

A00089.JPG

A00110.JPG

A00265.JPG

A00272.JPG

A00343.JPG

A00369.JPG

A00381.JPG

A00441.JPG

A00486.JPG

A00505.JPG

Crane Fruehauf containers 1970.

Click on pages twice to read.

I never knew Atkins were so involved in container transport.

paulgee atkins atki.jpg

A01893.JPG

atkins tpt c.PNG

Atkins brochure.

Anyone remember David Hogg from Cullompton.

“finbarot” How about this one chap. :wink:

Can remember seeing this Otterhaul Maggie around as a kid but not sure where they were based ■■

What a cracking shot of Cristone’s Foden from London somewhere ■■ Seen here on the building of the Holes Bay road in Poole.

Lenham Storage Mercedes from Kent i seem to remember.

Heres another cracker, Parke Haulage Atkinson Searcher. Cant make out on the door where they are from ■■

Anyone know where the M.Gaze ERF is from ■■ Also anyone recognise where that pic was taken ■■

Not had a Blueline motor on for a long time. Scammell Handyman.

Someone may recognise the reg on the Seddon Atkinson ■■

Corona Crusader.

DEANB:
I never knew Atkins were so involved in container transport.

Atkins brochure.

In the last few years before they finished that’s all they did

Hi Dean
After a tough day at work this is just the tonic I need.Have seen the lorry but not that particular shot She must have been nearly new .The drivers at New Milton seemed to look after their wagons a bit more than the West Drayton lads.Maybe they were under less pressure in Dorset?
Keep the thread going mate, its still my first port of call. Thanks again

DEANB:

Can remember seeing this Otterhaul Maggie around as a kid but not sure where they were based ■■

What a cracking shot of Cristone’s Foden from London somewhere ■■ Seen here on the building of the Holes Bay road in Poole.

Heres another cracker, Parke Haulage Atkinson Searcher. Cant make out on the door where they are from ■■

Anyone know where the M.Gaze ERF is from ■■ Also anyone recognise where that pic was taken ■■

Corona Crusader.

Hi , think Gaze was from East Anglia…Norwich maybe■■?

My brother bought the last ERF EC14 unit from M Gaze a couple of years ago .

DEANB:

Corona Crusader.

Hi Dean some good one you have posted on here today hope you are all keeping well on this thread :slight_smile:

rigsby:

kingswinford kit:

rigsby:

kenfig bill:
Hello DEAN …the old man says thanks for the Sam Longson pics …he can well remember them in and out of Margham back in the 60s …Foden 8 tippers bringing in lime to the steelworks for several years …until it was all transferred to rail …lol …Geraint

Hay on Wye was legendary , all came to an end when big george Kelly (6’5 semi pro wrestler) chucked a local troublemaker through the pub window without opening it first . Longson got banned after that , also the transport manager was fed up with the aggro . I always stayed at Griffs at Winforton , pack into his car at night , down to the Boat Inn . One of Longson drivers wed a local girl and ran the Sun Inn across the road from the cafe . Happy days , nearly 50years ago now .

Hi rigsby ,Griffs at Winforton could not remember that name ,as well as Sam ,Kendricks of Walsall were always their along with the likes Cartwright from Stourbridge hauling foundry sand for Margham
i think Griffs also acted as a change over with BRS Dudley and Swansea ,Briton Ferry Steel used the old railway yard at Eardisley just down the road .
Hay on Wye was indeed legendary Dean ,with again the likes of Kendricks Fodens ,i can remember one tipping over near Brecon a 6x2 artic , the Sun Inn at Whitney on Wye still functions .
Did any of you drivers use the toll bridge at Whitney for a short cut to Hay ? yes Happy day regards Keith

Thanks for the article about the 81 v Buffalo Dean
Also i fuelled the last flight on that 747 for St Athan and had to bash 4 ton more on it with the captain changing his mind last minute on figures.
Bit manic at the moment so sorry for late reply
Dai

robthedog:
“DEANB” I never knew Atkins were so involved in container transport.

Cheers Rob,never knew that. :smiley: Once they shut there Poole office i lost track of what they were upto. :wink:

finbarot:
Hi Dean
After a tough day at work this is just the tonic I need.Have seen the lorry but not that particular shot She must have been nearly new .The drivers at New Milton seemed to look after their wagons a bit more than the West Drayton lads.Maybe they were under less pressure in Dorset?

I thought you would like that one. Does look tidy in that pic like you say. :wink:

steelboyf10:
“DEANB”

Thanks “steelboyf10” :smiley: Heres a clipping you will appreciate.(Click on once to read) :wink:

steel shotton seddon ppg.PNG

Punchy Dan:

:wink:

You seem very busy at the moment Dan,the old Foden must be a money making machine for you. :smiley:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Hi Dean some good one you have posted on here today hope you are all keeping well on this thread :slight_smile:

All good Daz. :wink:

kingswinford kit:
“rigsby”

Hi rigsby ,Griffs at Winforton could not remember that name ,as well as Sam ,Kendricks of Walsall were always their along with the likes Cartwright from Stourbridge hauling foundry sand for Margham
i think Griffs also acted as a change over with BRS Dudley and Swansea ,Briton Ferry Steel used the old railway yard at Eardisley just down the road .
Hay on Wye was indeed legendary Dean ,with again the likes of Kendricks Fodens ,i can remember one tipping over near Brecon a 6x2 artic , the Sun Inn at Whitney on Wye still functions .
Did any of you drivers use the toll bridge at Whitney for a short cut to Hay ? yes Happy day regards Keith

Thanks for the comments Keith. :smiley:

A03430p.JPG

scania81:
Also i fuelled the last flight on that 747 for St Athan and had to bash 4 ton more on it with the captain changing his mind last minute on figures.
Dai

Thanks Dai for the info on the 747. Your definately a tad behind if you have only just seen the Buffalo test. :laughing: :wink:

You will appreciate this article.

boeing 747 4 ppg.jpg

DEANB:

robthedog:
“DEANB” I never knew Atkins were so involved in container transport.

Cheers Rob,never knew that. :smiley: Once they shut there Poole office i lost track of what they were upto. :wink:

finbarot:
Hi Dean

I thought you would like that one. Does look tidy in that pic like you say. :wink:

steelboyf10:
“DEANB”

Thanks “steelboyf10” :smiley: Heres a clipping you will appreciate.(Click on once to read) :wink:

Punchy Dan:

:wink:

You seem very busy at the moment Dan,the old Foden must be a money making machine for you. :smiley:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

All good Daz. :wink:
Cheers Dean thats superb what a corker and a nice working period shot :wink:

kingswinford kit:
“rigsby”

scania81:
Dai

Thanks Dai for the info on the 747. Your definately a tad behind if you have only just seen the Buffalo test. :laughing: :wink:

You will appreciate this article.

steelboyf10:

DEANB:

Corona Crusader.

Gaze is out near hales between Norwich and Lowestoft, when I used to know them they where hauling milk and sewage…hopefully not in the same trailer. This was about 20yrs ago

kingswinford kit wrote:
“rigsby”

A03430p.JPG

There’s a feller on FB whose dad drove for BRS Swansea who contracted for Briton Ferry Steels,this photo shows Eardisley station in steam days with Briton Ferry Steels AEC MK5s on the right,awaiting changeover.They were double shifted on that job IIRC.Not my photo.

eardisley1.jpg

elsa Lad:
Gaze is out near hales between Norwich and Lowestoft, when I used to know them they where hauling milk and sewage…hopefully not in the same trailer. This was about 20yrs ago

Thanks for the info “elsa Lad” :smiley: “not in the same trailer” :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:
kingswinford kit wrote:
“rigsby”

There’s a feller on FB whose dad drove for BRS Swansea who contracted for Briton Ferry Steels,this photo shows Eardisley station in steam days with Briton Ferry Steels AEC MK5s on the right,awaiting changeover.They were double shifted on that job IIRC.Not my photo.

Thanks for the comments Chris. :smiley: Heres a bit about BRS Swansea. :wink:

Click on twice to read.

Posted this one on the last page. Anyone know where Parke Haulage were from ■■