PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Another article about them.

Not sure where this pic was taken but i assume its a Bedford dealers yard somewhere.

Kendrick Foden. Those headlights on that model crack me up,they are huge. Is that a S80 ■■

Cant make the name out on the DAF. Anyone recognise the number plate / stripes on bumper ■■?

John Hudson Atkinson passing a Morris Monor van.

Yeoman Volvo.

French Volvo F12 arriving at Poole docks.

Western BRS ERF with RMC’s yard in background on Poole docks.

Always nice to see one of Atkins motors. This FIAT would have just shipped into Poole from Cherbourg and seen here leaving the docks.

Dont remember having a Shukers motor on before. Ayone know anything about the Marathon ■■?

DAZ, part of a Don Bush Leyland Constructor.

Some odds and sods.

Click on pages twice to read.

Adverts from 1974.

Someone was asking for pics of Fridgelink a while back but cant remember who it was.

Kysor.

Leyland Buffalo.

Telehoist.

1975 Wilcox tipping bodies. I always thought they built a quality tipper but i believe they have closed now ■■?

Dodgy bit of scanning here from 1964. But this will bring back memories for anyone doing Europe and beyond with carnet’s and having
the TIR cord sealed by customs.

Karrier 1964

Atkinson 1964

Butterfield tankers 1966.

1960 Welsh ERF’s.

Ken Jones DAF from Wales.

Keith, One from your part of the world.Mel Jones & Son DAF.

Bardon Aggregates Volvo.

M.E.Edwards & Son’s mighty 143 livestock truck.

Fagan & Whalley always run smart motors with there tradiional colour scheme.

John Raymond MAN.

M54 pics.

Think we had one of these MAN’s on before but cant remember the name of the company ■■ I will never understand why companies dont
have there name,contact details on the side. Free advertising.

Kidds Transport Scania.

Midland Vehicle Contract DAF. Surprised to see the lift axle up on the trailer ■■ Maybe a puncture ?

Dont think we have had a Chindwell motor on here before.

finbarot:
Please dont stop, especially keen to see Foden tippers, wreckers or waste lorries. Thanks for your efforts, very much appreciated.

Here you go chap,a piece from 1967. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

foden waste 671.PNG

foden waste 672.PNG

Redneck Kieran:
Hi, Does anybody have any photos of our old Scania 124L 420, Y541 FYA, It worked Around Southampton Pulling Grain and Salt Bulk Tippers, It was operated by S.M. Trucking with a White Bulk Tipper. We Still Own it but I can’t find any photos of it working, If anybody has any photos of it from years ago it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DEANB:
Thanks for the pic Kieran. Paul will no doubt have a look and see if he ever caught that motor on the road. :wink:

Thanks, If he could find one that would be great, Its our only lorry that I haven’t got a photo of working.

Yes the Kendrick Foden is a S80 Dean. Looks like Hednesford? Those 11" headlamps were useless, OK in the WW2 blackout but not good if you wanted to see where you were going. Reg Knowles (a long time Foden dealer in Derbyshire) made a conversion plate to fit two standard 7" lights in the same location but Foden did what they did best and ignored any advice or critisisms from dealers and operators, one of the reasons why Reg eventually changed over to selling Fiat trucks as they actually listened! He designed and made a brilliant gearbox using some Foden parts to replace the 12 speed 'box, everyone liked it except Fodens themselves and only a few were made. archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … ve-gearbox

You mentioned about signwriting on trucks: very few od’s around here had their names on their trucks, far too easily spotted when going through weight limits etc which we all did on a regular basis! :wink:

Pete.

More great pictures! Be assured, DeanB, Paul Bailey and Paul Gee that we are neither tiring of these gems nor taking the supply of them for granted. This thread continues to be an absolute treasure trove! Thank you. Ro :smiley:

Always nice to see one of Atkins motors. This FIAT would have just shipped into Poole from Cherbourg and seen here leaving the docks.

That French F12 is a nice looking truck
Always liked the Atkins motors as well (Hampshire registered as well)

Paul C Gee:

oiltreader:
One for the Welsh followers to get the thread back in focus. All credit to Mark Hobbs for the photo.
Oily

Thanks for the photo!!! - Those pipes look like they could have been made in Newport - not a million miles from the Transporter Bridge!!

Thought I might post a few that have been on before but I have learned a bit more about scanning and processing since they first went on so I thought you might enjoy an improved version!!! although I have to say sometimes I mess with them on the computer for ages and realise the original one was better!!!

Now this is one of my favourite of all times - had not been long at Ross on Wye - was the first time I had taken pictures there and this came along!!!

As you can imagine I was well pleased and that spot in the grass by the turning for Ross became one of my favourite spots to take photos!!! The fact that there was a rather nice bakery in Ross had very little to do with it!!! The Foden is still “alive” in preservation - but have to say I prefer a shot of them on the move and working!!!

Another one of my favourites - this is a scrap yard just down from where EF Phillipps used to be in Mannings Heath Road - Parkstone - Dorset - on the left is a bit of the front end of a D Series belonging to Reliance Scrap who owned the yard - bit of a rarity in its time a Guy with a sleeper and on a 8 Wheeler!!!

Last one for today!!! - I took this parked up in the entrance to their yard in Poole Lane - I like the old Ford Transit workshop van in the background with the flared wheel arches

I know you have seen these before but they are a bit better than the originals - let me know if you do not want to be bored by me by showing them again and I will stop!!! - Take care all

You keep reposting the pictures Paul especially any of Stirlands new or old
Thanks again Gary

DEANB:
Not sure where this pic was taken but i assume its a Bedford dealers yard somewhere.

Kendrick Foden. Those headlights on that model crack me up,they are huge. Is that a S80 ■■

Cant make the name out on the DAF. Anyone recognise the number plate / stripes on bumper ■■?

Yeoman Volvo.

Dont remember having a Shukers motor on before. Ayone know anything about the Marathon ■■?

Hello DEAN ,the Shukers Leyland Marathon are based in Ludlow they are agriculture merchants ,and are still around ,Mel Jones was from Oswestry and was based on the old Rednal airfield finished a few years ago mostly milk and timber haulage ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the Foden ■■■■ Dean.That looks like an early competitor to the Powell Duffryn Dempster/Dumpmaster waste handling system.

Also note the fuel tank relocated across the back of the S21 cab. As if they weren’t difficult enough to work on with the fixed cab!! Great shots though

DeanB It was Boatchaser ( Me ) my Dad worked for them they were based in Kirby Liverpool next to Frigo and he had a ERF, someone sent me a photo of the ERF . Thanks DeanB

Click on pages twice to read.

Adverts from 1974.

Someone was asking for pics of Fridgelink a while back but cant remember who it was.

Kysor.

Leyland Buffalo.

Telehoist.

1975 Wilcox tipping bodies. I always thought they built a quality tipper but i believe they have closed now ■■?

Dodgy bit of scanning here from 1964. But this will bring back memories for anyone doing Europe and beyond with carnet’s and having
the TIR cord sealed by customs.

Karrier 1964

Atkinson 1964

Butterfield tankers 1966.

1960 Welsh ERF’s.

[/quote]

DEANB:

robthedog:
Glad to see you back Dean, resurrecting the threads, you’ve certainly been prolific today !!

Rob,I have been busy on the “DIY” front which i hate with a passion. :cry: :cry:

tastrucker:
“Paul C Gee”
Hello Oily and thank you very much ,for these Grocott pictures ,at one time i know they were hauling fresh raspberries from Scotland ,and thank you also Paul for the Scania now with Agro ! ,Nigel Grocotts first Scania was way back in 1968 a LB76 ,the first in Shropshire .thank you both Trevor

The earliest I can do was probably taken mid 1977 at Ross on Wye

Hello Paul ,yes that batch of early MANs (possibly) thefirst were supplied by Gresford Garages Wrexham as they did not have Shropshire regs ,at that time most of Nigel Grocotts work was Kronospan at Chirk ,and Michelin tyres Stoke,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the info Trevor,you certainly know the transport companies around Shropshire ! :smiley: :wink:

Redneck Kieran:
Hi, Does anybody have any photos of our old Scania 124L 420, Y541 FYA, It worked Around Southampton Pulling Grain and Salt Bulk Tippers, It was operated by S.M. Trucking with a White Bulk Tipper. We Still Own it but I can’t find any photos of it working, If anybody has any photos of it from years ago it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the pic Kieran. Paul will no doubt have a look and see if he ever caught that motor on the road. :wink:

smallcoal:
Taken at cullimores yesterday

Cracking pics John. :smiley: That F10 looks sweet like she could still do a days work no problem. :wink:
Hi dean ,that volvo is used on recovery work it’s part of the workshop fleet

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

The Maggies had a strong following back in the 70’s Daz. :wink:

Dean its great to see you back on here again you have been on the missing list for a bit :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Been doing the dreaded “DIY” Daz. :cry:

DEANB:

Yeoman Volvo.

Nice one Dean Great pics and articals again Many Thanks for the posting and shareing All the best Daz :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Morning Dean,
Welcome back, I hope you have learnt your lesson now to keep away from D.I.Y!
As Tastrucker mentioned above Shukers was a MF dealer with branches all over Shropshire, Bridgnorth depot is still standing next to the Servern Valley Railway Station, sticks in my mind as they tested the 4 wheel drive tractors capability by using the railway embankment which was quite steep!

windrush:
Yes the Kendrick Foden is a S80 Dean. Looks like Hednesford? Those 11" headlamps were useless, OK in the WW2 blackout but not good if you wanted to see where you were going. Reg Knowles (a long time Foden dealer in Derbyshire) made a conversion plate to fit two standard 7" lights in the same location but Foden did what they did best and ignored any advice or critisisms from dealers and operators, one of the reasons why Reg eventually changed over to selling Fiat trucks as they actually listened! He designed and made a brilliant gearbox using some Foden parts to replace the 12 speed 'box, everyone liked it except Fodens themselves and only a few were made. archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … ve-gearbox

You mentioned about signwriting on trucks: very few od’s around here had their names on their trucks, far too easily spotted when going through weight limits etc which we all did on a regular basis! :wink:

Pete.

“Those 11” headlamps were useless" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bloody great lights Pete ,you would have thought they would have been brilliant ! :unamused: :wink:

Out of intrest is there anyone on here that knows all the different models of Foden ? There are so many different S models its unbelievable.

ERF-NGC-European:
More great pictures! Be assured, DeanB, Paul Bailey and Paul Gee that we are neither tiring of these gems nor taking the supply of them for granted. This thread continues to be an absolute treasure trove! Thank you. Ro :smiley:

:wink:

robthedog:

That French F12 is a nice looking truck
Always liked the Atkins motors as well (Hampshire registered as well)

Yes the F12 was a cracking looking truck Rob. :wink:

Ou of intrest does anyone know what happened to Atkins ? Were they taken over or just packed up ?

gazsa401:
You keep reposting the pictures Paul especially any of Stirlands new or old
Thanks again Gary

Dont think Paul has any more of Stirlands Gary. But we never know what Mark will come up with in his next batch. :wink:

tastrucker:
Hello DEAN ,the Shukers Leyland Marathon are based in Ludlow they are agriculture merchants ,and are still around ,Mel Jones was from Oswestry and was based on the old Rednal airfield finished a few years ago mostly milk and timber haulage ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the info on those motors Trevor. :wink:

finbarot:
Thanks for the Foden ■■■■ Dean.That looks like an early competitor to the Powell Duffryn Dempster/Dumpmaster waste handling system.

finbarot:
Also note the fuel tank relocated across the back of the S21 cab. As if they weren’t difficult enough to work on with the fixed cab!! Great shots though

I never noticed the fuel tank behind the cab. :open_mouth:

Boatchaser:
DeanB It was Boatchaser ( Me ) my Dad worked for them they were based in Kirby Liverpool next to Frigo and he had a ERF, someone sent me a photo of the ERF . Thanks DeanB

I knew someone had asked about them chap. :laughing:

smallcoal:
“DEANB”

Cracking pics John. :smiley: That F10 looks sweet like she could still do a days work no problem. :wink:
Hi dean ,that volvo is used on recovery work it’s part of the workshop fleet

That F10 must be getting on for 30 years old John. :smiley:

I think they must have a fair collecion of older motors as have put a few articles on here about them,one is on page 91. :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Nice one Dean Great pics and articals again Many Thanks for the posting and shareing All the best Daz :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
Welcome back, I hope you have learnt your lesson now to keep away from D.I.Y!
As Tastrucker mentioned above Shukers was a MF dealer with branches all over Shropshire, Bridgnorth depot is still standing next to the Servern Valley Railway Station, sticks in my mind as they tested the 4 wheel drive tractors capability by using the railway embankment which was quite steep!

Pete, I hate DIY but unfortunately i have more to do ! :smiling_imp:

Thanks for the info on Shukers ! :wink:

Hoveringham Gravels liked there Fodens.

BC0030.JPG

BF0003.JPG

AT35.JPG

2017-06-24 14.40.00.jpg

A02269.JPG

foden hoveringham ppg.PNG

Foden press pics.

foden hoveringham press1.PNG.jpg

foden hoveringham press3.PNG

foden hoveringham press2.PNG

Click on pages twice to read.First article never scanned very well.

Focus on tippers 1967.

Leyland 1963.