PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Dean I was the Southampton branch of Kammac in the early 80’s had one truck on it doing Jersey spuds up to the markets and loading back with Coke cans for Southampton just inside dock gate 10, it was run IIRC by Paul Kammel & his brother. Later my driver nicknamed "The Fireman"went to work for them very hectic pace of life Ormskirk to Dorchester in one hit four hours, 75/80 mph on the motorways back then. Painted there motors mostly Volvos all different colours, a smoke screen for the ministry no doubt, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Franglais was right in the fact that Meacher’s had a depot off West Quay road on the left IIRC going towards dock gate 10, they did a lot of work for Pirelli and also there was a gantry from Pirelli direct into the docks to carry cable to cable laying ships, anyone remember that Buzzer

Thanks for the info Buzzer,bit before my time chap. Used to go into Rank Hovis alot as a kid. Happy memories. :smiley:

When you put Southampton gate 10 in google maps a coach appears but if you then click to go foward once looks what appears !
You could not make it up ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

gate 10.PNG

Piston broke:
I worked for Bonds some years ago. I grew up in the same village and have known the family all my life… Lovely people who will always help anyone if they can

FG Bond was started by Fred in 1934. He passed over the reins to his son who has, in turn, passed over the day to day running to HIS son…

They ran Dodges almost exclusively until the late eighties, all tippers running from local quarries. They swopped over to ERF, mostly the ES6 with the Steyr cab for the 4 wheelers, then onto Foden for some years.

Nowadays they run a mixture of Daf, Volvo and Scania with a couple of Fodens still lurking in the background, tippers and crane lorries, all bought new, well specced and smart. Well known at the Truck shows because they genuinely ARE so clean - constant trophy winners…
I put a lot of pictures on Bubbs’s Scrapbook Memories thread some years ago, if anyone wants to see more…

They have always run tidy motors “Piston broke” since i can remember ! :smiley: Thanks for your comments chap. :wink:

pete smith:
Bryan Haulage was from Okehampton as far as I can remember,

Why did i think they were from Wales Pete ? :unamused: I am sure you are right ! :smiley: :wink:

michel:
The TF 86 with ( French) sleeper cab was from haulage firm Courtin from Angers . Before a Volvo fleet, they owned Bernard like this one.

Brilliant “michel” thanks for the info,any more pics chap ■■? :smiley: :wink:

windrush:
That Foden in the Carmans article was a very early version of that model, up to and including A and some B registrations we were still getting the earlier cab type? :confused: We didn’t have many of the S10 cabs until the B registrations appeared, luckily I had a C reg one new by which time things like the gearlever and linkage etc had been modified to make it lighter! :wink:

Pete.

Without taking the ■■■■ Pete,do you know all the different models ■■ There are so many its a bloody nightmare with Foden’s ! :laughing: :laughing:

Ray Smyth:
“DEANB”

Dont think we have had a Abbey motor on before ? Anyone know about them ■■

Hi Dean, Abbey Tankers are from Great Howard Street in Liverpool. About 10 years ago, there was an amusing picture on
the " Letters " page in the Daily Mail. The picture was taken on Sandbach Services on the M6. There was a Downton lorry
from Gloucester, and an Abbey tanker, but because the way they were parked, and the humour of the cameraman, the
wording showed " Downton Abbey ". Does anyone remember the picture ?

Ray.

Good stuff Ray,that’s a classic ! :laughing: :wink:

extrucker:
Tricentrol, to become Trimoco, was a big Ford car, truck, coach dealership based mainly in Bedfordshire. Coach dealers and converted vans to minibuses. A quite big coach company too based in Dunstable. I seem to remember the builders merchants was based in Greenfield, Beds.But I might be wrong?

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”
Never heard of Tricentrol builders merchants. Anyone know where they were based ■■

I don’t know what became of them, but Tricentrol was a big outfit in its day, not only builders merchants but also motor dealerships, and even coach sales I think. I’ve a vague recollection that the HQ was in Luton, but I’m not certain

Thanks for the comments “extrucker” good stuff chap ! :smiley:

gingerfold:
“DEANB”

DEAN if I told you what I know about Abbey, and what I think of them, then I would be banned from TN for life :imp:

Sounds like from what you are saying they were a quality company then Graham !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
[quote=“coomsey”
B in law drove for them,all over Europe late 70s[/quote]
Cracking little pic “coomsey” :wink:

Suedehead:
"DEANB"Some odds and sods.

Dont remember ever seeing one of these tippers with a luton body.

Didn’t Pickfords use them on removals ? :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: Did anyone ever see one,unusual but clever design. :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

RMC Constructor.

Dean Great photos again I love the Hall Aggs Constructor tipper keep them comming Daz :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Cheers Daz,glad you are enjoying them ! :wink:

smallcoal:
"DEANB"Carmans/Brit European.
Hi dean notice the d series ford furniture van sneaking in the pic :smiley:

I did indeed John ! :smiley:

This Danish company liked there Ford’s chap. :wink:

Suedehead:
Whats the craic with the shelf on the front of the Xerox box ?
and is the driver of the Luton van, giving the victory sign out of the window

Just had a look a that pic chap,and havent a clue ■■ :unamused:

Buzzer:
Dean I was the Southampton branch of Kammac in the early 80’s had one truck on it doing Jersey spuds up to the markets and loading back with Coke cans for Southampton just inside dock gate 10, it was run IIRC by Paul Kammel & his brother. Later my driver nicknamed "The Fireman"went to work for them very hectic pace of life Ormskirk to Dorchester in one hit four hours, 75/80 mph on the motorways back then. Painted there motors mostly Volvos all different colours, a smoke screen for the ministry no doubt, Buzzer

Cracking pic Buzzer !! I bet you wish you sill had that F89,what a good looking motor that is ! :smiley: :wink:

I reckon the F86 would not be too impressed in strong winds with that trailer. :wink:

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the Foden tanker ■■?

Gilpin Demolition Scania.

DB DAF. Anyone know what DB stands for ■■

Bryans MAN.Think they are from Wales ?

Bardon Aggregates MAN.

Watkins Scania.

Cornwall Farmers ERF.

QTR Transport MAN.

Dont think we have had a Branston motor on here before.

Evening all, a little info for those that maybe interested.
The Foden tanker is 1 of Heltor’s from Heathfield, Newton Abbot,
Gilpins also had a yard not a stone throw away from Heltor.
Mr Smith was right about Bryan’s coming from Okehampton, no longer running,
I’m pretty sure I’m right in saying the Bardon MAN belongs to Valence also based in Heathfield,
and Cornwall Farmer’s had a couple of depots, 1 I remember in Threemilestone near Truro,
we’re taken over by BOCM Pauls I’m guessing about 10 to 12 years ago, now ran by ForFarmers.
Thanks gents, it’s nice being able to look back at these old photos and remember the firms and drivers.
Cheers

pete smith:

6767_1.jpg

Dean,I wonder if Robert has spotted what appears to be one of his treasured ERF’s ?

5thwheel:
Dean,I wonder if Robert has spotted what appears to be one of his treasured ERF’s ?

Yes, I miss little! To be fair, Dean drew my attention to it earlier :sunglasses: . Great to know that the TNUK army are still keeping their eyes peeled! Thanks. :smiley: Ro

newerf727.jpg

DeanB wrote; Without taking the ■■■■ Pete,do you know all the different models ■■ There are so many its a bloody nightmare with Foden’s !

Haha, no I don’t! Give the customer plenty of options, one size doesn’t fit all and I’m not sure there was such a thing as a ‘standard version’ of any of them? However large buyers like Tilcon etc did tend to buy the most basic versions though, we didn’t get the options like diff locks/cross locks/ air seats/radios etc on ours until Paccar took over, even then we only got a diff lock and nothing else! I know a former line manager at Sandbach and he told me that if a new customer just wanted an eight wheeler chassis/cab they would take one destined for Tilcon from the line and the customer was amazed he got one so quickly! :smiley: It wasn’t until they sold the fleet off and our TM ran a few tippers instead that I got a new 3000 series with all the goodies included, but even then the air seat in that wouldn’t work in cold weather until the cab warmed up and just blew cold air through the valve and I had to raise and lock it manually! It should have been sorted under warranty but Charnwood Trucks who supplied it weren’t really interested and it remained like that until it was sold. :unamused: When I left and then drove a D reg six wheeler for a local company it was an ex Smiths of Bletchington truck and it had every extra available, radio/cassette/ airseat that worked, diff and cross locks, they were not afraid of spending money on driver comforts! Then that was sold and I had a newer ex ARC one, it was back to basics again with that!! :cry: So the options were all there for everyone, but some companies lke Tilcon/ARC/Tarmac etc who ordered by the hundred didn’t bother about such things as driver comfort and of course the Foreign ‘opposition’ provided all that as standard which killed things off regarding the Brits. Apologies for going on a bit but that was just how it was.

Pete.

TIDDERSON:

pete smith:

Thanks for confirming that chap. :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

5thwheel:

Yes, I miss little! To be fair, Dean drew my attention to it earlier :sunglasses: . Great to know that the TNUK army are still keeping their eyes peeled! Thanks. :smiley: Ro

Rob dont tend to miss them David ! :laughing: :laughing:

windrush:
DeanB wrote; Without taking the ■■■■ Pete,do you know all the different models ■■ There are so many its a bloody nightmare with Foden’s !

Haha, no I don’t! Give the customer plenty of options, one size doesn’t fit all and I’m not sure there was such a thing as a ‘standard version’ of any of them? However large buyers like Tilcon etc did tend to buy the most basic versions though, we didn’t get the options like diff locks/cross locks/ air seats/radios etc on ours until Paccar took over, even then we only got a diff lock and nothing else! I know a former line manager at Sandbach and he told me that if a new customer just wanted an eight wheeler chassis/cab they would take one destined for Tilcon from the line and the customer was amazed he got one so quickly! :smiley: It wasn’t until they sold the fleet off and our TM ran a few tippers instead that I got a new 3000 series with all the goodies included, but even then the air seat in that wouldn’t work in cold weather until the cab warmed up and just blew cold air through the valve and I had to raise and lock it manually! It should have been sorted under warranty but Charnwood Trucks who supplied it weren’t really interested and it remained like that until it was sold. :unamused: When I left and then drove a D reg six wheeler for a local company it was an ex Smiths of Bletchington truck and it had every extra available, radio/cassette/ airseat that worked, diff and cross locks, they were not afraid of spending money on driver comforts! Then that was sold and I had a newer ex ARC one, it was back to basics again with that!! :cry: So the options were all there for everyone, but some companies lke Tilcon/ARC/Tarmac etc who ordered by the hundred didn’t bother about such things as driver comfort and of course the Foreign ‘opposition’ provided all that as standard which killed things off regarding the Brits. Apologies for going on a bit but that was just how it was.

Pete.

Yeah you did go on a bit Pete !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Cant believe you never had diff locks on your type of works seems a bit
silly. I think they must have built more models than most manufacturers, so many S models. :unamused: :wink:

DEANB:

Kammac Volvo F10. Did they have a depot at Southampton ?

No, but they did have 2 drivers out based in Southampton, used to park at Lorraines, Dave and Guy Morgan where the drivers

boardo96:
“DEANB”

Anyone recognise the Foden tanker ■■?

Gilpin Demolition Scania.

Bryans MAN.Think they are from Wales ?

Bardon Aggregates MAN.

Cornwall Farmers ERF.

Dont think we have had a Branston motor on here before.

Evening all, a little info for those that maybe interested.
The Foden tanker is 1 of Heltor’s from Heathfield, Newton Abbot,
Gilpins also had a yard not a stone throw away from Heltor.
Mr Smith was right about Bryan’s coming from Okehampton, no longer running,
I’m pretty sure I’m right in saying the Bardon MAN belongs to Valence also based in Heathfield,
and Cornwall Farmer’s had a couple of depots, 1 I remember in Threemilestone near Truro,
we’re taken over by BOCM Pauls I’m guessing about 10 to 12 years ago, now ran by ForFarmers.
Thanks gents, it’s nice being able to look back at these old photos and remember the firms and drivers.
Cheers

Great stuff chap ,thanks for the info ! :smiley: I assume you are from Devon or Cornwall,so here some old ones from that way. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

AEC’s from 1962.

Anyone drive a Leyland Cruiser ? :unamused: We have had a few on here.

A03367p.JPG

A03694p.JPG

A03787p.JPG

A04291p.JPG

Spec sheet.Click on twice to read.

Leyland Cruiser Test.

Click on pages twice to read.

Looking back.

A part of the Courtin fleet in the 60 th.

DEANB:
Anyone drive a Leyland Cruiser ? :unamused: We have had a few on here.

K933 EFL.jpg

Spec sheet.Click on twice to read.

Hi Dean, I had 3 Leylands with this cab, They were Leyland 50 series 14 ton GVW rigids with sleeper cabs.
The engines in them were a ■■■■■■■ of about 165 bhp, some called them a Baby ■■■■■■■■ They had 24ft
boxvan bodies with tail lifts, twin fuel tanks, and sleeper cabs, and were reliable and economical on fuel.
I also had a Leyland DAF 45 series similarly equipped that was 10 ton GVW, it weighed 6 tons empty, and
could only carry 4 tons, but it suited the job that we did for many years. This Leyland DAF 45 was ex Hotpoint.,
seen here on the A62 near Marsden, en route from Oldham to Huddersfield.

Cheers, Ray.

Evans Transport DAF.

Anyone know anything about the M.J.D. & Sons DAF ■■?

McLeod Transport Renault. Dont think we have had one on before ■■

Clarence Court DAF.

Bandvulc DAF. Never heard of them ■■

Glendinning Foden.

Rock & GO DAF ■■?

Swain Transport DAF from Kent.

D & D Transport Iveco.

French Renault.

Colas Foden.

Sainsbury Scania.

Iceland DAF.

BRS Automotive Scania.

Hills Crusader. Patrick will like it ! Not sure if thats Hill’s of Botley or another Hill’s ■■

Anyone know anything about Mullard’s ■■?

Containerway Seddon entering Poole docks. Looks like buoy’s for the harbour. That row of houses behind were demolished late 70’s early 80’s.

Vectis Transport Seddon Atkinson . I take it thats the old wall in Southampton near the ferry terminal for the Isle of Wight ■■

Unit Commercials Scania.

Hi Dean.
The Mullard Guy artic would be one of London Carriers,owned by the Philips Electrical Group.They carried a lot of cathode ray tubes etc.
The D and D Iveco could possibly be D and D Transport from Dundee,it does have a Scottish plate. If so they were commonly known as Dusk till Dawn and Dawn till Dusk Transport,make whatever you like of that. :smiley:
The Hill’s Crusader isn’t the one from Botley,they were from Derbyshire - maybe Ripley. Somebody will put me right. :laughing:

Hill’s were based at Pye Bridge, Bandvulc are involved with tyres and are still operating.

Pete.