PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Hi Dean,
Greyroads operate out of T.E Jones’s yard at Knockin Heath just of the A5 at Nescliffe. They run Volvo’s and Scania’s now, Cheer’s Pete

Hi dean ,the British steel were newport based the m&g trailers on the Bedford we’re British steel as well here’s one of my mate Phil withstacked trailers

Dean B
Hi Dean
Further to Smallcoals info on British Steel Transport they were based at Orb Works Newport.
Before nationalisation British Steel was the Steel Company of Wales and the fleet was operated by The Monmouthshire Transport Company ( The Mon’s ) which I believe was part of S.C.O.W.
They ran a large fleet of eight wheelers and then artics and would have total priority when loading in the Abbey
I drove for B.S.T. for a while and drove a Crusader UCY 49N
Good to see the photos
Regards, Allan

Mrsteel:
Dean B
Hi Dean
Further to Smallcoals info on British Steel Transport they were based at Orb Works Newport.
Before nationalisation British Steel was the Steel Company of Wales and the fleet was operated by The Monmouthshire Transport Company ( The Mon’s ) which I believe was part of S.C.O.W.
They ran a large fleet of eight wheelers and then artics and would have total priority when loading in the Abbey
Good to see the photos
Regards, Allan

Here you go Allan, S.C.O.W Octopus,

15368805445_de4c8bfca7_h.jpg

DEANB:
“dave docwra” You always like a nice Irish motor. How about this stunning Shamrock F89.

Says RAF Stafford on the sign.

Anyone recognise the Guy ■■

Heres one for you Daz. :wink:
Hello Dean Love the Tarmac Routeman never seen that pic be for plus all the other pics that you have posted up on this fread they are excellent chap Thank you for posting and sharing them Good Luck to you Dean and Paul plus Mark for the gems Look Foward to see more Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cant make the name out on Scania live stock truck,anyone recognise it ■■ Possibly H.H.Williams from Gloucester way ?

Transfleet ERF.

Any of you Southampton chaps recognise the Volvo F86 leaving Poole docks ■■ Says Pat ■■? on door Totton,Hants.

Anyone ever drive a Alvis Stalwart in the Army ■■?

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
Greyroads operate out of T.E Jones’s yard at Knockin Heath just of the A5 at Nescliffe. They run Volvo’s and Scania’s now, Cheer’s Pete

Hello pete and DEAN ,pete Greyroads are based at Woolston bank a few miles beyond the heath towards Maesbury .,they do a lot of scrap down to S Wales ,and the last i heard was that they were hauling scrap out of GKN Wellington .
DEAN ,R F Bellis probably the largest haulier in Wrexham now and that DAF is no longer with them ,thank you Trevor

Any of you Southampton chaps recognise the Volvo F86 leaving Poole docks ■■ Says Pat ■■? on door Totton,Hants.

Pat Donovan

Yes Dean, an excellent machine across country, the central steering position gave a good view around the cab and it was a good ride on those tyres and suspension. Quite hot in the Summer months but cooler in the Winter, the engine was in the rear, a Rolls Royce B81 8 Cylinder petrol. I wasn’t a regular driver my job was on the Self Propelled Gun the 105mm Abbot, we had Mk2 ‘Stolly’s’ for our ammo carriers and these were fitted with an Atlas crane. They were quite spectacular in the dark when flames shot out the exhaust. They could ‘swim’, we even had one lad who after too many German Lagers nicked one and tried to cross the Channel back to Blighty but he didn’t get far by all accounts once the waves started to wash over the cab he chickened out and turned back and spent a little time in the Glasshouse! Here’s a MkI from my unit and the Abbot SPG which could also go under water, it had a screen around that would pull up similar to the Sherman Tanks on D-Day, but this was a bit of an arse nip even going through a test water tank. Franky.

10305180_10203552616318740_7308798336077446762_n.jpg

tastrucker:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,

Hello pete and DEAN ,pete Greyroads are based at Woolston bank a few miles beyond the heath towards Maesbury .,they do a lot of scrap down to S Wales ,and the last i heard was that they were hauling scrap out of GKN Wellington .
DEAN ,R F Bellis probably the largest haulier in Wrexham now and that DAF is no longer with them ,thank you Trevor

Hi Trevor,
I didn’t think Greyroads was that far off the A5, always thought they had the yard next door to the pile of waste that appeared in T.E Jones’s yard!

Mrsteel:
Dean B.
Hi , been looking again at the photo of Clarkie’s merc and the driver.
The driver is a big guy and so it could be a guy called Ian who was with Clarkie probably from the start.
I remember Sean on the convoys during the miners strike running a sleeper cab Sed Ak with a 240 Gardner in it.
Iirc Ian eventually became transport manager and I also remember a driver called Brian who was or is a long time employee.
Regards, Allan

Allan, Heres a few more of N.S.Clarke’s motors. The first pic of the Volvo Paul took yesterday on the Wimborne bypass. :smiley: :wink:

dave docwra:

DEANB:
“dave docwra” You always like a nice Irish motor. How about this stunning Shamrock F89.

Thanks Dean, they always bring back good memories, I also like the Montgomery & the McLellan from Stranraer in the thread above.

Cheers Dave.

:wink:

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
The Guy is one of British Reinforced Concrete, their factory was at the bottom of silkmore lane/A34 in Stafford, it was a massive site but now all gone and covered by housing estate and retail park. The Guy looks like it is at the bottom of the Newport road, A518, in Stafford town centre, Cheer’s Pete

Good stuff Pete,you really do have a good knowledge of the haulage industry. :smiley: :wink:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,

:wink:

smallcoal:
Hi dean ,the British steel were newport based the m&g trailers on the Bedford we’re British steel as well here’s one of my mate Phil withstacked trailers

Great pic John, thanks for posting chap. :smiley:

Mrsteel:
Dean B
Hi Dean
Good to see the photos
Regards, Allan

Thanks for the info Allan, heres a Steel Company of Wales Atkinson. :wink:

wales steel company of wales ppg.PNG

We have had some of British Steel’s Crusader’s on here,will see if we have that reg.

pete smith:
"Mrsteel"Dean B
Hi Dean

Regards, Allan
Here you go Allan, S.C.O.W Octopus,

Great pic Pete,thanks for posting. :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Heres one for you Daz. :wink:
Hello Dean Love the Tarmac Routeman never seen that pic be for plus all the other pics that you have posted up on this fread they are excellent chap Thank you for posting and sharing them Good Luck to you Dean and Paul plus Mark for the gems Look Foward to see more Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers Daz. :smiley:

tastrucker:
"pete smith"Hi Dean,

Thanks for the comments Trevor, good stuff as always chap. :smiley: :wink:

Heres one of there Man’s chap.

paulgee bellis.JPG

robthedog:

Pat Donovan

Thanks for confirming the name Rob. :wink:

Frankydobo:
Yes Dean, an excellent machine across country, the central steering position gave a good view around the cab and it was a good ride on those tyres and suspension. Quite hot in the Summer months but cooler in the Winter, the engine was in the rear, a Rolls Royce B81 8 Cylinder petrol. I wasn’t a regular driver my job was on the Self Propelled Gun the 105mm Abbot, we had Mk2 ‘Stolly’s’ for our ammo carriers and these were fitted with an Atlas crane. They were quite spectacular in the dark when flames shot out the exhaust. They could ‘swim’, we even had one lad who after too many German Lagers nicked one and tried to cross the Channel back to Blighty but he didn’t get far by all accounts once the waves started to wash over the cab he chickened out and turned back and spent a little time in the Glasshouse! Here’s a MkI from my unit and the Abbot SPG which could also go under water, it had a screen around that would pull up similar to the Sherman Tanks on D-Day, but this was a bit of an arse nip even going through a test water tank. Franky.

Good stuff Franky ! :smiley: Classic story about the fella nicking one. :laughing:

Dean B.
Hi Dean, thanks for the photos of Clarkie’s motors, a far cry from the Gardner 240 powered Sed Ak he started off with with.
Regards, Allan

Mrsteel:
Dean B.
Hi Dean, thanks for the photos of Clarkie’s motors, a far cry from the Gardner 240 powered Sed Ak he started off with with.
Regards, Allan

No worries ,will dig out some steel motors soon. :wink:

pete smith:

tastrucker:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,

Hi Trevor,
I didn’t think Greyroads was that far off the A5, always thought they had the yard next door to the pile of waste that appeared in T.E Jones’s yard!

Hello again ,pete ,T E s yard is now owned by his son ,i think he does a bit of storage and thats it ,not like the time it was full of Scanias and MANs ,he had a very big fleet back then .
Greyroads was started up by Don Yarwood ,had his own fleet and changed the name ,he was a drver with Trevor Morris from Oswestry . and DEAN today been down Knighton way and noted Goughs of Llandrindod have a brand new Scania with the name The Welsh Connection ,one for Paul to look out for ,thank you Trevor

tastrucker:
“pete smith”
Hi Trevor,
Hello again ,pete ,T E s yard is now owned by his son ,i think he does a bit of storage and thats it ,not like the time it was full of Scanias and MANs ,he had a very big fleet back then .
Greyroads was started up by Don Yarwood ,had his own fleet and changed the name ,he was a drver with Trevor Morris from Oswestry . and DEAN today been down Knighton way and noted Goughs of Llandrindod have a brand new Scania with the name The Welsh Connection ,one for Paul to look out for ,thank you Trevor

Thanks Trevor , Paul will see your message and no doubt keep an eye out for it chap. :wink:

Road Freight article 1978.

Click on pages twice.

Anyone recognise the Mercedes ■■

P4250150p.JPG

Auto DAF car transporter.

P5300042p.JPG

Charles Russell Scania.

P4220030p.JPG

Nuttall Scania.

P8030066p.JPG

Comet Volvo.

P8050031p.JPG

Christian Salvesen DAF.

P8050055p.JPG

Anyone recognise the DAF overtaking the DAF of South Staffs Freight.

P8050093p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■

P8050129p.JPG

P.Proudlove & Son DAF.

P8050512p.JPG

R.Swain & Sons DAF.

P8070041p.JPG

Edgwicks Volvo F86.

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■?

Moores ERF.

“moomooland” Paul one of your favourites. :smiley:

John Marsh

Jameson ERF.

I reckon this is a rare pic as i cant recall ever seeing a Atkins rigid before ■■ From there Cherbourg branch seen here
leaving Poole ferry terminal. I would imagine it usually pulled a trailer ? Atkins,Swains and Axminster all had offices
in Cherbourg in the 70’s. Does anyone know if any other UK hauliers had an office there ?

Still miss not seeing Swains motors. This one was from there Cherbourg branch.

Heres the third one Axminster Renault,but not from there Cherbourg branch. Cliff dont remember this motor ■■

JAKEY, One of your favourite motors in your favourite colour scheme. :smiley:

Christopher Hill AEC Marshall bulker seen here leaving Poole docks.

Foden S36 cabbed tipper is F.N Salisbury’s from Bottom House near Leek. A collector of Fodens, his lad John still has some and keeps the Foden records I believe.

Pete.

eh up Dean , i like that early t45 rental BRS wagon ,lovely working truck shot .