PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
We have had some cracking ERF 6 wheelers on here.

Can’t let this cracking thread go past the post without contributing my two’penarth Dean ! This is a shot of an ERF 6 wheeler that I acquired when I bought out the haulage interests of Davy & Co ( Grange) Ltd. It had an LX150 engine,6:600 DB and a single drive Eaton 2 speed axle. The regular job it did was running down to the Midlands mainly from the Libby factory at Milnthorpe and then collecting various components and leather etc from around Northampton, Kettering and Leicester areas back to the big K Shoe Factories in Kendal on a twice weekly basis. However this K Shoe traffic started to grow somewhat the 24 ft flat became a bit overwhelmed so I replaced it with a Sed/Atk 30:5 ton gvw unit and coupled it with a 37 ft C/F tandem trailer which could cope with the busier times. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

marktaff:

Bewick:
Just an observation but the Fletchers advert has the Greenwood Group symbol at the bottom right corner so would Fletchers have been a Greenwood subsidiary ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Bewick,
Fletchers were part of the Howells Group thats what the logo under the British Leyland logo is…they owned a few British Leyland franchise sites across South Wales and the two main truck dealers…Howells of Cardiff and Fletchers of Swansea.

Regards Mark

Hiya Mark ,
I understand your explanation but why would the Greenwood Transport symbol be in the bottom right hand corner of the Fletchers advert ? If you look back on shots of Greenwoods motors on TNUK you will see the identical symbol on the cab doors ! Interesting don’t you think ! Cheers Bewick.

Hi Bewick,
Yes totally understand what your saying…the logo is identical Greenwoods.
I wonder if anybody else may have any information on this.

Regards Mark

Hi All,
Something I snapped when on holiday in Malta recently this fine ERF… it’s clearly from the UK and just wondered if anybody night recognise her and where it may have come from.

Hope Dean doesn’t mind me posting this :smiley:

marktaff:
“kingswinford kit”

Hi Dean and mark ,they did a lot of work from Dunlopilla Hirwaun and Mettoy (corgi toys) Swansea ,great stuff as usual Dean ,regards Keith

Hi Keith,
Yes i remember Ellis Morgan hauling out of Dunpillo in Hirwaun and also Mettoy’s in Swansea…Griff Fender also hauled out of the both places to at that time.

Regards Mark

Thanks for the pic and comments Mark. :wink:

gingerfold:
“DEANB”
Dalgety Volvo. Does anyone know if they bought out RHM/Chrisopher Hill’s as they took over here mill in Poole.

Yes, Dalgety Agriculture bought RHM Agriculture in 1982. It was a “reverse” takeover in that RHM Agriculture was the bigger company of the two.

Good stuff Graham. :wink: Did you work for them ?

Yes DEAN, at the time I worked for Spillers Milling which was part of the Dalgety empire. Dalgety was a good company to work for, paying top salaries and wages…probably why they failed years later but by then I had moved on. :sunglasses:

Happy memories of the Poole mill Graham. Long gone now and a big Asda and other shops been built there now. :cry:

Heres a few of RHM Christopher Hill’s trucks.

L1453p.JPG

L1460p.JPG

vwvanman0:
Pedantic but, pretty sure the erf 4 wheelers below the Edinburgh woolen mill one are m types not b series. Different lower grille panel area.

The mauri iveco could be Blakeys? from Hull as i remember them having Leyland roadtrains in the mauri livery.

Great photos as ever.

Steve

Scanned that article onto the computer a few years ago and forgot about the M type. Mind you i cant ever recall anyone ever
calling them that Steve. :laughing: :wink:

5thwheel:
[“DEANB”

Smart Volvo of Emyr Jones Volvo.

That’s a cracking number plate on the Volvo cattle transporter,EWE!

David

Well spotted David. :smiley:

MANTRONIC:
Smart Volvo of Emyr Jones Volvo. Hey Dean he also has an earlier FH reg E1 EWE from Kidwelly down by Carmarthen often seen in Brecon area ,and thanx for the Penry Morgan Atki ,with stillages from Doncasters ,some awesome stuff your posting !! MT

Thanks for the comments MT. :wink:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
The Volvo may have been a BRS contract hire vehicle they replaced Bedford TK box vans, they last ran Daf 75’s artics and wagon and drags.
Beldray where based in Bilston West Midlands and made ironing boards, garden incinerator bins etc, sadly the factory shut in 2005/6, the name Beldray was bought by an investment company that is why you still occasionally see the name about.
The name Beldray is an anagram of Bradley which is an area near Bilston, a bit of worthless info I know!

Good stuff Pete, thanks for the info chap. :smiley:

oiltreader:
That’s a cracking number plate on the Volvo cattle transporter,EWE!
Hi MANTRONIC, another apt one, FH16COW very fitting, courtesy of Transport Pixels.
Oily

Impressive bit of kit Oily, thanks for posting. :smiley:

ArcDaz:
"DEANB"Anyone recognise the Scammell Routeman ■■?
Hi Dean hope all is keeping good and well and had a great xmas and a happy new year for 20.20 its been a while since i have been on this site so pleased to see some more great photos again Thank you for posting this Scammell Routeman tipper this is a new one for me which have not seen before
Not been on for a while due to a few health problems but on the mend now
regards
Darren :smiley: :smiley:

Hello Darren ,glad to see you back chap. :smiley: Glad to hear you are on the mend chap,and Happy New Year to you ! :wink:

Bewick:
“DEANB” We have had some cracking ERF 6 wheelers on here.

Can’t let this cracking thread go past the post without contributing my two’penarth Dean ! This is a shot of an ERF 6 wheeler that I acquired when I bought out the haulage interests of Davy & Co ( Grange) Ltd. It had an LX150 engine,6:600 DB and a single drive Eaton 2 speed axle. The regular job it did was running down to the Midlands mainly from the Libby factory at Milnthorpe and then collecting various components and leather etc from around Northampton, Kettering and Leicester areas back to the big K Shoe Factories in Kendal on a twice weekly basis. However this K Shoe traffic started to grow somewhat the 24 ft flat became a bit overwhelmed so I replaced it with a Sed/Atk 30:5 ton gvw unit and coupled it with a 37 ft C/F tandem trailer which could cope with the busier times. Cheers Dennis.

Thanks for your input Dennis,looks a tidy motor chap,great pics. :smiley: :wink:

marktaff:
“Bewick”
Hiya Mark ,
I understand your explanation but why would the Greenwood Transport symbol be in the bottom right hand corner of the Fletchers advert ? If you look back on shots of Greenwoods motors on TNUK you will see the identical symbol on the cab doors ! Interesting don’t you think ! Cheers Bewick.

Hi Bewick,

Regards Mark

Dennis / Mark, “smallcoal” John may know something ■■ :unamused:

marktaff:
Hi All,
Something I snapped when on holiday in Malta recently this fine ERF… it’s clearly from the UK and just wondered if anybody night recognise her and where it may have come from.

Hope Dean doesn’t mind me posting this :smiley:

I have never been to Malta Mark but i understand there are some great trucks from the 70’s,80’s,90’s still there and is a bit
of a treasure trove. The wind deflector does not look original chap ■■ :smiley: :wink:

marktaff:

Bewick:

marktaff:

Bewick:
Just an observation but the Fletchers advert has the Greenwood Group symbol at the bottom right corner so would Fletchers have been a Greenwood subsidiary ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Bewick,
Fletchers were part of the Howells Group thats what the logo under the British Leyland logo is…they owned a few British Leyland franchise sites across South Wales and the two main truck dealers…Howells of Cardiff and Fletchers of Swansea.

Regards Mark

Hiya Mark ,

Hi Bewick,

Regards Mark

Greenwoods had a subsidiary business, Greenwoods Commercial Vehicles, which had several distributorships throughout the UK. It held franchises for Foden and DAF among others. Greenwoods had been taken over by Gold Fields, a multi-national conglomerate that also included Amalgamated Roadstone in the UK.

youtu.be/n1veks-0ftw

british lorries in malta…

Walkers of Tuxford.

AU16.JPG

CH0026.JPG

Click on page twice. 1963.

Wareham Transport Seddon Atkinson.

Anyone recognise the Dennis ■■?

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■

Alan S Dugdale Guy bulker.

Reliance Tankers Foden.

W.H.Cowburn & Cowpar Foden.

Pics from the M54.

Banks Brewery DAF.

Argos Mercedes.

Anyone recognise the colour scheme on the Volvo bulker,cant make name out ■■

Express Foods Volvo.

Anyone recognise the Volvo tanker. Fairly rare being a day cab.

Lee Smith Volvo.

BWOC Mercedes tanker.

J.C.Dean ERF bulker.

Yeovil Transport Services Iveco.

BOC Leyland.

the f10 tanker is uk fuels…

fl tipper is raven transport

Hi dean,David Howells Iveco 3 of us went to Truro on a sat I was in the truck in the pic

A couple of David Howells earlier trucks

Thanks for posting the Drinkwater Sabey Fodens. Drinkwaters ran the Foden/Gardner combination since the 50s.Quite a compliment to the marque considering how tough the working environment was for them on waste work.Not sure how well other motors would have fared in such a tough environment. The Foden 6x4 Haulmaster is a particular favourite of mine, despite its shortcomings, such as an unbelievably heavy throttle set up.

gingerfold:
Hi Bewick,

Regards Mark

Greenwoods had a subsidiary business, Greenwoods Commercial Vehicles, which had several distributorships throughout the UK. It held franchises for Foden and DAF among others. Greenwoods had been taken over by Gold Fields, a multi-national conglomerate that also included Amalgamated Roadstone in the UK.

Thanks for the info about Greenwoods Graham. :wink:

m.a.n rules:
https://youtu.be/n1veks-0ftw

british lorries in malta…

That was a cracking watch,thanks for posting “m.a.n rules” .Good stuff chap and thanks for the tanker company name. :smiley:

curnock:
fl tipper is raven transport

Cheers “curnock” :wink:

smallcoal:
A couple of David Howells earlier trucks

Thanks for the photos John. :smiley:

finbarot:
Thanks for posting the Drinkwater Sabey Fodens. Drinkwaters ran the Foden/Gardner combination since the 50s.Quite a compliment to the marque considering how tough the working environment was for them on waste work.Not sure how well other motors would have fared in such a tough environment. The Foden 6x4 Haulmaster is a particular favourite of mine, despite its shortcomings, such as an unbelievably heavy throttle set up.

Thanks for your comments “finbarot” .We have had some nice Drinkwater ones on here. :smiley:

Will pop something on about the Haulmaster’s later in the week chap. :wink:

Morning Dean,
The Argos Merc would be a 1617 and was based at the Daventry depot, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Dean,
Banks’s had a few of these Daf’s, both covered and open dray’s,also had a six wheel 2300 Daf, these replaced the Bedfords which Banks’s bought after being a big ERF user. They also ran a Scania 82 around the same time, Cheer’s Pete

L5832p.JPG

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
The Argos Merc would be a 1617 and was based at the Daventry depot, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for the info Pete. :wink: I thought the 1617 was only a rigid chap ? But you may be right. :unamused: :laughing: