PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
Photos taken on the M54.

Kevin Downes Volvo F10. Dont think we have had one on before,anyone know anything about them ?

Tarmac Seddon Atkinson.

Cawley Bros ERF bulker.

Anyone recognise the Scania brick truck ? Looks like half the trailer is missing ! :laughing:

Rea Valley DAF. Think it says Shrewsbury on the side ?

Dairy Products ERF.

Cant make the name out on the Scania ■■ Looks like the merc 814 removal truck is about to either over take him or hit him ! :unamused:

M.A.Evans Scania 143 bulker.

Goodman Croggon Volvo FL6. Not had one of these on before,anyone know anything ■■

L.E.Jones Scania 113 livestock outfit.

Hi Dean good to see M A Evans from Knighton think that 143 could have been driven by Wyndham Abberley from LLandrindod a former Morfa driver ,regards Keith

coomsey:
Thanks for your comments “windrush” . They never let you loose in that machine did they “coomsey” :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
As you can see in the photo Dean they wouldn’t even let me stand on it :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

windrush:
I seem to remember that years ago a lad who lived at Troway ran a White artic carting from RMC’s old tarmac plant at Wath on Dearne? When that plant closed he possibly ran from the one at Staveley, that has also long gone of course. :unamused:

Pete.

Thanks for your comment Pete. Not sure who sold the most between Mack and White but they were the 2 most popular American
trucks that were sold here. :wink:

Buzzer:
Dean you must have Brexit on the brain, think that Foden is ex ECC English China Clay not EEC :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: cheers Buzzer

Thinking about it you may be right Buzzer ! :wink: They had a pit on the outskirts of Wareham back in the 70s and used to load
clay for ships at Poole docks in my grandads trucks as a kid. Pit is still going but i dont know if its still owned by China Clay.

jshepguis:
Dean still got to say thanks to you Paul and Mark for keeping us entertained with this cracking thread. Couple of things 2nd photo from the White Commander photo,s is actually a Mack.
Would also think the F86 is an ex Ferrymasters. The Scania is Groupvale transport from Middlesborough IIRC they came about after Les Harrimans stopped trading or became the new name for them.

:laughing: :laughing: Thanks for your comments ,especially the “Mack” :wink:

EDTRUCK:

DEANB:
Anyone driven a White Road Commander 2 ? What were there good points and what were there bad points ■■

I apologise Dean but the second pic is aMack - I owned her for about 18 months - she was one of my first trucks

Well no feedback about the White “EDTRUCK” so what was the Mack like ■■ Any pics of it ? :smiley: :wink:

phop:
Goodman croggan were a hardware supplier based on Alma Street Smethwick don’t know if they’re still trading

Thanks for the info “phop” :wink:

Carryfast:

DEANB:
Bedford looks more like a support vehicle than a fire engine ■■

Hose layer/salvage tender :wink:

:wink:

tribsa:
Hi All
The TK is a HCB Angus Totton Hants built emergency tender I think this one was stationed at Canterbury
HCB originally stood for Hampsire Car Bodies

A mind of useless information

Cheers Rich

Thanks for the info Rich. :wink:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, i would think the yellow F86 was ex Ferrymaster looking at the color scheme. :sunglasses:

Mark R:
You asked who operated this Scania transporter…it was one of Sheertruck’s from Sheerness Kent. When i left school i worked for the firm who did their maintenance and repairs. They weren’t a big firm so it’s nice to see a photo of one of their trucks.

Thanks for the name Mark. :smiley:

coomsey:
33 11 85t not a bad drive, this one mine, fully automatic, the other 4were semi auto. Bit noisy courtesy of Detroit

youtu.be/3h8KvCKpqUY
Worth a listen! Not all day long for years on end mind :smiley:

Good watch “coomsey” thanks for the link. :wink:

Lawrence Dunbar:
An old friend of mine worked for Blue Dart, Chris Compson, He left them and worked for a few local firms in the the North East on tipper work for Geo Blackett, He Then went to work for Fergusons of Blyth shunting trailers at Blyth Harbour loading Reels of Paper Imported from abroad, For delivery all over the British Isles, He was was a good lad was Chris, Regards Larry.

Thanks for your comment Lawrence. :wink:

Heres a Geo Blackett and Ferguson motor.

A02200.JPG

DCP_0868p.JPG

MANTRONIC:
Heres another one of Kelvedon’s Crusader’s. Hey Dean ,thanx youre a star ! MT

marktaff:

moomooland:

marktaff:
Hi Paul “moomooland”.
Just looking through some older post’s today on Deans page and came across this post of Blue Dart posted by yourself…The AEC box luton here was part of the Hughes Haulage fleet from Llanelli South Wales…my neighbour drove this vehicle for a couple of years it was a fixture in our street most weekends back in the 1970s…he went on to drive the artics for Hughes and then on to the Blue Dart artics when they took Hughes over…i remember the last tractor unit he had with Blue Dart was a Crusader. Regards Mark

Hi Mark, Thanks for the info.

Regarding the Scammell Crusaders these two former Hughes motors had been shipped up from Llanelli to Middleton more than likely to get overhauled and repainted in Blue Dart livery.

Another ex Hughes Scammell Crusader Reg No KWN 234L.

As regards your neighbour’s 1970 registered AEC luton it is pictured here in the depot at Middleton towards the end of it’s days in 1978.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply…yes i also remember these two Crusader tractor units you have posted here…KWN was Swansea registered and UBX was West Wales registered…back in the Seventies Llanelli came under the West Wales registered BX…but all the Leyland AEC and Scammels trucks were all from Fletchers of Swansea.
My neighbour MAC drove this one here…but this one also turned up in Blue Dart colours to in the end.

Regards Mark

Thanks for all the info,pics about Blue Dart and Hughes Paul and Marktaff,good stuff chaps. :smiley: :wink:

Heres a few of Blue Dart’s.

A01598.JPG

A02320.JPG

AEC

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
Goodman and Groggon manufactured or distributed farm fencing, they previously ran Bedford TL’s, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for the info Pete ! :smiley:

tastrucker:
Anyone recognise the Scania brick truck ? Looks like half the trailer is missing ! :laughing:

hello DEAN ,the Scania brick truck more then likely is Stephen Woolley from Hadley Telford ,who did most of the work out of Blockleys at Hadley .His depot was the former Wrekin Roadways one at Ketley on the old A5 .
Rea valley meats are at Minsterley out of Shrewsbury on the A488 Bishpos Castle road ,that DAF may be one of Gary Hills ,who trades as Hills of Shrewsbury but based at Baschurch he does all their work ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for your input Trevor,good stuff as always. :smiley: :wink:

Wrekin Roadways operated this mighty Scammell Contractor and i popped an article on about it on page 146.

A03541p.JPG

kingswinford kit:

Hi Dean good to see M A Evans from Knighton think that 143 could have been driven by Wyndham Abberley from LLandrindod a former Morfa driver ,regards Keith

Thanks for your input Keith,good stuff chap. :smiley: :wink:

Heres another of Evans and a couple of Morfa’s.

A03996p.JPG

A04001p.JPG

We have had some cracking pics of hauliers pulling steel,stillages etc.

A01533.JPG

A01561.JPG

A01694.JPG

A01756.JPG

A01830.JPG

A01881.JPG

A01937.JPG

A01993.JPG

A02202.JPG

A02261.JPG

A02287.JPG

A02308.JPG

A02409.JPG

A02486.JPG

A02530.JPG

A02556.JPG

A02573.JPG

A02688.JPG

A03403p.JPG

A03497p.JPG

Steel hauliers.

Click on pages twice to read.

M54 photos.

Balfour Beatty DAF.

Woodhaul Renault.

Cant make the name out on the Mercedes ■■?

Lauds Transport ERF. Dont think we have had one of these on before,anyone know where they are from ■■

Another one i dont think we have had on before. W.J.Capper Mercedes ■■?

Anyone recognise the 142 ■■?

Shilton Mercedes.

S.Jones ERF.

Leyland Roadtrain. I assume its a unit stretched or Consructor ■■? Anyone know the haulier ?

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson bulker ■■

The red Mercedes is one of Stone and Ogan’s from Derby. Now no longer trading.

Pete.

DEANB:
M54 photos.

Balfour Beatty DAF.

Woodhaul Renault.

Lauds Transport ERF. Dont think we have had one of these on before,anyone know where they are from ■■

Shilton Mercedes.

S.Jones ERF.

Leyland Roadtrain. I assume its a unit stretched or Consructor ■■? Anyone know the haulier ?

Hi Dean, I refer to the Bass Brewery trailer with the Mercedes in your post above. Around 1979 and 1980, The Wigan depot of
Robert Baillie had secured some work from Boalloy Ltd at Congleton in Cheshire. At that time, many hauliers and big fleet
companies were having 40ft flat trailers converted to curtainsided, and some gained a third axle to operate at 38 Tons G.V.W.
Once the conversion and bodywork was complete, the trailers were sent, without curtains, to Robert Baillie at Wigan for shot
blasting and painting. When Baillies were very busy, I was often asked to take a newly painted trailer to Boalloy, and head back
with the next converted one for painting. One day whilst at Boalloy, I saw a new curtainsided trailer that was narrower at the
roof level than at the deck level. One of the Boalloy staff told me that it was one of many new trailers for Bass Charrington,
and the narrowness at the top served two purposes, the double deck loads of palletised kegs were held by the curtain, and
that some places where many of their trailers were parked very close, side by side, meant that the top sides of the trailers
didn’t lean to one side and touch each other. Cheers, Ray.

DEANB:
M54 photos.

Balfour Beatty DAF.

Woodhaul Renault.

Shilton Mercedes.

S.Jones ERF.

Re the Roadtrain, sorry don’t know the haulier. It could be a stretched unit but I think a six wheel haulage chassis complete with the high datum cab was available ex factory. Sure there was one operating on livestock work in the York area with a 24 or 26 ft body on the wagon and a drawbar trailer.
Tyneside

DEANB:
A02308.JPG

You’ve had this one before, Dean :wink:

From a page number I forgot to note…

DEANB wrote:

Anyone recognise the Atkinson ■■?

A02308.JPG

A02308.JPG

Well yes, actually! I thought that the wheelbase looked a bit long for its age, and the number rang a bell too: as you can see, it’s undergone something of a transformation!

VJU 477H Atkinson ‘Silver Knight Rear Steer’ Mk.2 TRS3266XB by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

I know you were wondering who’d be the first to spot that :wink:

Hi Dean,
W.J.Capper are from Wellington Shropshire, they are still trading but sadly Billy Capper has passed away, a true Gentleman, they used to run Guy Big J’s and switched to Merc’s, now a Daf user, Cheer’s Pete

Looking at that Atki that has had an axle removed reminded me of the second artic I ever bought, it was a Mammoth Minor with twin steer axle and I removed the second steer as I was on round timber work and the thing had no traction as it acted like a see saw and if you are wondering the first artic I had was a mandator with a 680 in it and had no guts at all so we parted company PDQ, cheers Buzzer.

Hi Dean, Further to my earlier post regarding the Bass Brewery curtainsided trailer with the narrow roofline.
This picture is Robert Baillie depot at Wigan, where the paintwork was carried out on the converted trailers.
The bay on the right was fitted with a sealed wall inside, plus heating, lighting, and extractors.
The site, which is just 400 yards from M6, J25 is now home to Sainsbury`s and McDonalds.

Regards, Ray.

Scan%202.jpg

DEANB:

tastrucker:

hello DEAN ,the Scania brick truck more then likely is Stephen Woolley from Hadley Telford ,who did most of the work out of Blockleys at Hadley .His depot was the former Wrekin Roadways one at Ketley on the old A5 .
Rea valley meats are at Minsterley out of Shrewsbury on the A488 Bishpos Castle road ,that DAF may be one of Gary Hills ,who trades as Hills of Shrewsbury but based at Baschurch he does all their work ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for your input Trevor,good stuff as always. :smiley: :wink:

Wrekin Roadways operated this mighty Scammell Contractor and i popped an article on about it on page 146.

kingswinford kit:

Thanks for your input Keith,good stuff chap. :smiley: :wink:

Heres another of Evans and a couple of Morfa’s.

hello DEAN ,and thank you for the Wrekin Roadways Scammell and the very interesting Steel hauliers article ,quite a bit about Shotton , Trevor

DEANB:
We have had some cracking pics of hauliers pulling steel,stillages etc.

Hey Dean ,you dont half look after us Welsh lads all those gems from S Wales dont where to start ,William Morgan had drivers in the Brecon area ,and have been told the Transcon was with a driver from Talgarth .
The Cardiff Transport MAN was one of the first they had by the reg ,and Penry Morgan from Blaenavon are still with us ,but the Atkinsons before my time , lush !thanx MT

Ray Smyth wrote; Hi Dean, Further to my earlier post regarding the Bass Brewery curtainside trailer with the narrow roofline. This picture is Robert Baillie depot at Wigan, where the paintwork was carried out on the converted trailers.
The bay on the right was fitted with a sealed wall inside, plus heating, lighting, and extractors.
The site, which is just 400 yards from M6, J25 is now home to Sainsbury`s and McDonalds.

Fergusons Transport from Blyth, Northumberland bought some of those ex Bass tautliners, they were excellent for the Paper Reel work and just about anything else, low height and the inclined sides meant you had a good view down either side of the trailer, well built too. Franky.

DEANB:

Hi Dean ,some stunning pics here ,Glyn Morris was a haulier from either Gorsley or Lea nr Ross on wye ,no doubt our ROF will put me right
Hi MT ,yes WM Morgan had a few drivers based in Talgarth that also acted as change over for the Midlands
Thier was a driver i once knew in Hay ,he lived down past the Swan hotel and at the time was hauling scrap to BSC Motherwell and returning with steel from Gartcosh for Coated Metals Pontardulais ,very smart fleet especially the Atkis ,but those Transcons were very fast and did European work ,regards Keith

windrush:
The red Mercedes is one of Stone and Ogan’s from Derby. Now no longer trading.

Pete.

Thanks for the name Pete. :smiley:

Ray Smyth:
“DEANB”]M54 photos.

Hi Dean, I refer to the Bass Brewery trailer with the Mercedes in your post above. Around 1979 and 1980, The Wigan depot of
Robert Baillie had secured some work from Boalloy Ltd at Congleton in Cheshire. At that time, many hauliers and big fleet
companies were having 40ft flat trailers converted to curtainsided, and some gained a third axle to operate at 38 Tons G.V.W.
Once the conversion and bodywork was complete, the trailers were sent, without curtains, to Robert Baillie at Wigan for shot
blasting and painting. When Baillies were very busy, I was often asked to take a newly painted trailer to Boalloy, and head back
with the next converted one for painting. One day whilst at Boalloy, I saw a new curtainsided trailer that was narrower at the
roof level than at the deck level. One of the Boalloy staff told me that it was one of many new trailers for Bass Charrington,
and the narrowness at the top served two purposes, the double deck loads of palletised kegs were held by the curtain, and
that some places where many of their trailers were parked very close, side by side, meant that the top sides of the trailers
didn’t lean to one side and touch each other. Cheers, Ray.

Thanks for the comments about the Boalloy trailer Ray. :smiley: If you have a look on page 179 Ray there is an article about Bass which
mentions them using Boalloy curtain siders. :wink:

Heres a Boalloy brochure. Click on pages twice to read.

tyneside:
“DEANB”]M54 photos.

Re the Roadtrain, sorry don’t know the haulier. It could be a stretched unit but I think a six wheel haulage chassis complete with the high datum cab was available ex factory. Sure there was one operating on livestock work in the York area with a 24 or 26 ft body on the wagon and a drawbar trailer.
Tyneside

Thanks for your comments “tyneside” about the Roadtrain. :wink: Personally i think its been stretched but you could be right ? :unamused:
I have been through my Leyland stuff and cant find any 6 wheeler Roadtrains. I remember that you could buy an 8 wheeler Scammell S26
with that cab and i think a 6 wheeler.I thought it was a Scammell untill i saw the badge.
Someone who knows there Leyland’s may know ■■ Posted an article with a Scammell S26 on page 168.

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”

You’ve had this one before, Dean :wink:
Anyone recognise the Atkinson ■■?

Well yes, actually! I thought that the wheelbase looked a bit long for its age, and the number rang a bell too: as you can see, it’s undergone something of a transformation!

Thanks for the pic and info Chris. :wink: I know its been on before chap tend to use them again when putting an article on. :smiley:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
W.J.Capper are from Wellington Shropshire, they are still trading but sadly Billy Capper has passed away, a true Gentleman, they used to run Guy Big J’s and switched to Merc’s, now a Daf user, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for the info Pete ! :smiley: Heres a slightly newer one.

Buzzer:
Looking at that Atki that has had an axle removed reminded me of the second artic I ever bought, it was a Mammoth Minor with twin steer axle and I removed the second steer as I was on round timber work and the thing had no traction as it acted like a see saw and if you are wondering the first artic I had was a mandator with a 680 in it and had no guts at all so we parted company PDQ, cheers Buzzer.

Thanks for your comments Buzzer. :smiley:

This may bring back a few memories. :laughing:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, Further to my earlier post regarding the Bass Brewery curtainsided trailer with the narrow roofline.
This picture is Robert Baillie depot at Wigan, where the paintwork was carried out on the converted trailers.

Regards, Ray.

Great pic Ray thanks for posting it. :smiley:

tastrucker:
“DEANB”]

hello DEAN ,and thank you for the Wrekin Roadways Scammell and the very interesting Steel hauliers article ,quite a bit about Shotton , Trevor

Cheers Trevor. :wink:

MANTRONIC:
“DEANB” We have had some cracking pics of hauliers pulling steel,stillages etc.

Hey Dean ,you dont half look after us Welsh lads all those gems from S Wales dont where to start ,William Morgan had drivers in the Brecon area ,and have been told the Transcon was with a driver from Talgarth .
The Cardiff Transport MAN was one of the first they had by the reg ,and Penry Morgan from Blaenavon are still with us ,but the Atkinsons before my time , lush !thanx MT

Thought you might like them “MT” thanks for the comments. :wink:

Frankydobo:
Ray Smyth wrote; Hi Dean, Further to my earlier post regarding the Bass Brewery curtainside trailer with the narrow roofline. This picture is Robert Baillie depot at Wigan, where the paintwork was carried out on the converted trailers.

Fergusons Transport from Blyth, Northumberland bought some of those ex Bass tautliners, they were excellent for the Paper Reel work and just about anything else, low height and the inclined sides meant you had a good view down either side of the trailer, well built too. Franky.

Thanks for your comments “Franky” . :wink:

Transporting paper reels back in 1967.

Click on pages twice.

bedford paper.PNG

kingswinford kit:
“DEANB”
Hi Dean ,some stunning pics here ,Glyn Morris was a haulier from either Gorsley or Lea nr Ross on wye ,no doubt our ROF will put me right
Hi MT ,yes WM Morgan had a few drivers based in Talgarth that also acted as change over for the Midlands
Thier was a driver i once knew in Hay ,he lived down past the Swan hotel and at the time was hauling scrap to BSC Motherwell and returning with steel from Gartcosh for Coated Metals Pontardulais ,very smart fleet especially the Atkis ,but those Transcons were very fast and did European work ,regards Keith

Thanks for the comments Keith. :wink: