PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Leyland 2 tons I met in central Uruguay 3 years ago.

191113113728456481.jpg

michel:

I’ve down-sized it for you, to fit! :wink: Robert

kingswinford kit:
Anyone recognise the Seddon ■■?

Hi Dean ,the Seddon is S Wales reg and possibly an ex BRS unit . Great selection by the way ,regards Keith

Thanks for the info Keith. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:
It’s easy to forget that Duramin didn’t only make cabs for AECs. Robert

Thanks for the pic Robert,have an article about Duramin somewhere but cant find it ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

Evs127:
Dont think we have had one of Teifi Timber’s motors on here before ■■

Teifi Timber are a sawmill and timber merchants from a village called Llanllwni, just south of Lampeter. It is being driven at this time by my very good friend Brynley Jones who recently passed away. This was the last artic they had and sold it when Brynley retired.

Sorry to hear about your friend “Evs127” Thanks for the info on Teifi Timber. :wink:

windrush:
I don’t really know why the Leyland 2 tonner was unreliable as, apart from possibly the gearbox which could have been a fresh design, everything else was already well proven? :confused: The engine was a Standard diesel and the axles were the same as used by Morris Commercial/BMC for virtually everything from 30 cwt to 5 tons. Still, they didn’t really catch on and BL would soon drop the range anyway as they 'inherited the BMC range which was in the similar weight range. At least one is preserved.

Pete.

Hello Pete, you could be right about it possibly being the gearbox but they did not seem that popular. The BMC / Leyland FG was very popular compared and
can remember seeing loads of those about. :smiley: :wink:

tastrucker:
“DEANB”]Some Welsh and Border trucks.

Dont think we have had one of R.A & C.E Platt’s motor’s on here before. I dont know where they are based ■■

Salop Caravans ERF.

D.G.Roberts Foden.

hello DEAN ,no you have not featured Platts before ,they are from Llay nr Wrexham ,big fleet now mainly MANs ,that haul re cycled waste wood that they process themselves for animal bedding .
And Salop caravans now Salop leisure from Shrewsbury ,they bought out Vrnwy caravans from Llansantffraid .
D G Roberts from Llanarmon nr Mold another big tipper fleet ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for all the info Trevor ,good stuff chap. :smiley: :wink:

classicman:
New Street Motors, behind the Cresta Garage on the A6 at Finedon. Remember them well, light blue livery.

Thanks for the input “classicman” :wink:

tonyj105:
you’ve got it , here’s a colour photo, same duravan on the dock , the left hand trailer is the 40’ crane fruehauf box and the other NSM box is a stretched to 33’ ex FMC box trailer

tony

Thanks for your comments about Duramin and the photos Tony. :smiley:

Heres a few adverts.

Click on pages twice.

marktaff:
Hi Dean,
Lovely pic of this Pickfords Volvo…one of the few factory sleeper cabs they had at this time in late 80s early 90s. …most of the Volvos were integral type cabs on most of these models mostly built by Power Bodies from Portsmouth and others by Marsden and Vanplan most of the bodies were built around day cabs to create a sleeper cab. …coffins we use to call them…couldn’t tilt the cabs nightmare to maintain…the maintenance boys loved seeing this type come in though you could tilt the cab. …I think this one here was from the London area.

Regards Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. :wink: I can remember talking to the Transport manager for Pickfords Manchester who was in charge of buying for the whole fleet. After the Bedfords
Pickfords bought alot of F6 Volvos with the integral Power Bodies and due to the price of the Volvos they decided to try the Ford Cargo. He told me that was a huge mistake and
the Ford’s cost twice us much in maintence/running costs. :open_mouth: They then started buying the Volvo FL6’s. :smiley:

Power bodies advert.

michel:

Thanks for the pic “michel”. When you think that was built in the 1960’s thats in unbelievable condition. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:
“michel”]Leyland 2 tons I met in central Uruguay 3 years ago.

:smiley: :wink:

J.Bradshaw & Sons Scania.

Snook Transport Seddon Atkinson. Dont think we have had one of these on here before,anyone know anything about them ■■?

Toleman Group Renault.

Looks like one of Christopher Hills Seddon’s before they changed to red.

H.J.Cutler Seddon Atkinson from Poole.

Henry Smither & Son ERF.

United Molasses Foden.

“JAKEY” BRS Scania in your favourite colours.

Looks like H.Youngs colour scheme on the Mercedes ■■

BP Oil ERF.

Some pics from the M54.

Wrekin Construction Volvo F12. Does anyone know if this is part of Wrekin Roadways ?

Dont think we have had one of Allen Rowland’s on here before. Anyone know where they were based ■■

Another one i dont think we have had on here before. TSI Internaional Iveco.

I think this is another new one. Gwynn Davies DAF ,sounds Welsh to me ■■

Beresford Transport MAN.

Cracking looking Transcon. Someone must recognise this motor ,cant make the initials out on the front ■■?

Must be something wrong with the mighty Bedford to let that Scania of Super Trucking pass ! :laughing: Anyone know anything about
Super Trucking ■■?

J.R.Harding Leyland Inerstate. Article about Harding’s on page 322.

Dave Williams Foden. Another new one, anyone know about them ■■?

The Oldham ERF on page 382 was from Oldham Batteries at Denton, Manchester.
Their company advertising saying was " I TOLD ` EM…OLDHAM ". I believe their
former factory site is now full of modern houses. Ray.

Ray Smyth:

Thanks for the info Ray. :laughing:

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

Yes a typically great Brit product better than Varta crap.Also Blue Star but not sure if they did Truck batteries ?.

Wreking Construction and Wrekin Roadways were two different companies I believe. Wrekin Construction were based near Shifnal, we did a lot of tarmac deliveries to their own road surfacing gangs, all good lads. Went to the wall a few years ago now.

David Williams were from Sutton Coldfield, had a large and very tidy fleet of tippers and flats and mostly worked out of the sand and gravel pits in the Lichfield/Tamworth area. They finished a few years ago now.

Pete.

Allen Rowlands were based just by Tyseley railway station/yard in Birmingham. Their fleet was Dodge/Karrier and Renault until the sale manager rapt the local Renault dealer upset them, so they then bought a number of Daf and Leyland Daf products!!

DEANB:
Mansel Davies Volvo.

Colour scheme looks familiar on the ERF. Was it Jack Richards ■■? :unamused:

Coopers Volvo.

Roger Marfell ERF. Anyone know anything ■■?
Roger Marfell was from the Forest of Dean , think his main business was welding / fabricating

Possibly ex Eatons ERF ?

Dont think we have had a Chestminster motor on here before. Anyone know anything about them ■■

Leggett Logistics ERF.

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■?

Gro Continental DAF.

Dont think we have had one of these on before, Woodrush Volvo.

Thank you Dean and Paul for the photos ,love the small Scania in white and red Brs livery ,also loved the mighty Roadtrain in Hardings fleet livery .

Deano think Snook’s were from Tadley North of Basingstoke, Buzzer

DEANB:
Some pics from the M54.

Wrekin Construction Volvo F12. Does anyone know if this is part of Wrekin Roadways ?

Dont think we have had one of Allen Rowland’s on here before. Anyone know where they were based ■■

I think this is another new one. Gwynn Davies DAF ,sounds Welsh to me ■■

Beresford Transport MAN.

Cracking looking Transcon. Someone must recognise this motor ,cant make the initials out on the front ■■?

Must be something wrong with the mighty Bedford to let that Scania of Super Trucking pass ! :laughing: Anyone know anything about
Super Trucking ■■?

J.R.Harding Leyland Inerstate. Article about Harding’s on page 322.

Dave Williams Foden. Another new one, anyone know about them ■■?

Hello DEAN ,TSI International are from Telford ,think they do packaging that sort of thing ,they have got Renault artics now ,thank you Trevor

Carryfast:
[“Ray Smyth”]The Oldham ERF on page 382 was from Oldham Batteries at Denton, Manchester.

Yes a typically great Brit product better than Varta crap.Also Blue Star but not sure if they did Truck batteries ?.

:laughing: :laughing: Bearing in mind that was out of a Leyland Journal magazine and there are trucks in the photo ,pretty certain
they did truck batteries ! :unamused: :wink:

windrush:
Wreking Construction and Wrekin Roadways were two different companies I believe. Wrekin Construction were based near Shifnal, we did a lot of tarmac deliveries to their own road surfacing gangs, all good lads. Went to the wall a few years ago now.

David Williams were from Sutton Coldfield, had a large and very tidy fleet of tippers and flats and mostly worked out of the sand and gravel pits in the Lichfield/Tamworth area. They finished a few years ago now.

Pete.

Thanks for the info on Wrekin’s and David Williams Pete,good stuff chap. :smiley: :wink:

EDTRUCK:
Allen Rowlands were based just by Tyseley railway station/yard in Birmingham. Their fleet was Dodge/Karrier and Renault until the sale manager rapt the local Renault dealer upset them, so they then bought a number of Daf and Leyland Daf products!!

Good stuff “EDTRUCK” :smiley:

logger:
Roger Marfell ERF. Anyone know anything ■■?
Roger Marfell was from the Forest of Dean , think his main business was welding / fabricating

Thanks for the info “logger” :wink:

JAKEY:
Thank you Dean and Paul for the photos ,love the small Scania in white and red Brs livery ,also loved the mighty Roadtrain in Hardings fleet livery .

:laughing: :wink:

Buzzer:
Deano think Snook’s were from Tadley North of Basingstoke, Buzzer

Thanks for that Buzzer. :wink:

tastrucker:

Hello DEAN ,TSI International are from Telford ,think they do packaging that sort of thing ,they have got Renault artics now ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the info Trevor ! :smiley:

Surprised no one knows about that Transcon :question: :unamused:

Evs127:

Teifi Timber are a sawmill and timber merchants from a village called Llanllwni, just south of Lampeter. It is being driven at this time by my very good friend Brynley Jones who recently passed away. This was the last artic they had and sold it when Brynley retired.

Hi Evs ,am i right in thinking that D J Davies from Pencader ,hauled wood shavings from Teifi s sawmill ,regards Keith

Carryfast:

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

I’ve loaded at Oldham batteries for Ireland. 6 heavy duty lumps grossing about 18 tonnes - in a fridge van! I think they powered generators

hayday:
“Carryfast”

I’ve loaded at Oldham batteries for Ireland. 6 heavy duty lumps grossing about 18 tonnes - in a fridge van! I think they powered generators

Thanks for the comment “hayday” :wink:

DEANB:

kingswinford kit:
Anyone recognise the Seddon ■■?

Hi Dean ,the Seddon is S Wales reg and possibly an ex BRS unit . Great selection by the way ,regards Keith

Thanks for the info Keith. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:
It’s easy to forget that Duramin didn’t only make cabs for AECs. Robert

Thanks for the pic Robert,have an article about Duramin somewhere but cant find it ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

Evs127:

Sorry to hear about your friend “Evs127” Thanks for the info on Teifi Timber. :wink:

windrush:
I don’t really know why the Leyland 2 tonner was unreliable as, apart from possibly the gearbox which could have been a fresh design, everything else was already well proven? :confused: The engine was a Standard diesel and the axles were the same as used by Morris Commercial/BMC for virtually everything from 30 cwt to 5 tons. Still, they didn’t really catch on and BL would soon drop the range anyway as they 'inherited the BMC range which was in the similar weight range. At least one is preserved.

Pete.

Hello Pete, you could be right about it possibly being the gearbox but they did not seem that popular. The BMC / Leyland FG was very popular compared and
can remember seeing loads of those about. :smiley: :wink:

tastrucker:
“DEANB”]Some Welsh and Border trucks.

Dont think we have had one of R.A & C.E Platt’s motor’s on here before. I dont know where they are based ■■

Salop Caravans ERF.

D.G.Roberts Foden.

hello DEAN ,no you have not featured Platts before ,they are from Llay nr Wrexham ,big fleet now mainly MANs ,that haul re cycled waste wood that they process themselves for animal bedding .
And Salop caravans now Salop leisure from Shrewsbury ,they bought out Vrnwy caravans from Llansantffraid .
D G Roberts from Llanarmon nr Mold another big tipper fleet ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for all the info Trevor ,good stuff chap. :smiley: :wink:

classicman:
New Street Motors, behind the Cresta Garage on the A6 at Finedon. Remember them well, light blue livery.

Thanks for the input “classicman” :wink:

tonyj105:
you’ve got it , here’s a colour photo, same duravan on the dock , the left hand trailer is the 40’ crane fruehauf box and the other NSM box is a stretched to 33’ ex FMC box trailer

tony

Thanks for your comments about Duramin and the photos Tony. :smiley:

Heres a few adverts.

Click on pages twice.

marktaff:
Hi Dean,
Lovely pic of this Pickfords Volvo…one of the few factory sleeper cabs they had at this time in late 80s early 90s. …most of the Volvos were integral type cabs on most of these models mostly built by Power Bodies from Portsmouth and others by Marsden and Vanplan most of the bodies were built around day cabs to create a sleeper cab. …coffins we use to call them…couldn’t tilt the cabs nightmare to maintain…the maintenance boys loved seeing this type come in though you could tilt the cab. …I think this one here was from the London area.

Regards Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. :wink: I can remember talking to the Transport manager for Pickfords Manchester who was in charge of buying for the whole fleet. After the Bedfords
Pickfords bought alot of F6 Volvos with the integral Power Bodies and due to the price of the Volvos they decided to try the Ford Cargo. He told me that was a huge mistake and
the Ford’s cost twice us much in maintence/running costs. :open_mouth: They then started buying the Volvo FL6’s. :smiley:

Power bodies advert.

Hi Dean,
Indeed you are spot on there…they did find the early F6s expensive to purchase. …but the Ford Cargo’s were huge disappointment …having driven one of them myself they were poor a lot of failure with gear boxes engines …slow vehicles also and cabs just fell to pieces…the earlier ones on E and F plates had V8 engines which were not good either and drank fuel…the FL6s were a breath of fresh air lovely to drive…here is a Marsden bodied integral sister one to the one I had.

Regards Mark

michel:

Thanks for the pic “michel”. When you think that was built in the 1960’s thats in unbelievable condition. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:
“michel”]Leyland 2 tons I met in central Uruguay 3 years ago.

:smiley: :wink:

Col-Photo-Pickfords-Volvo-Fl6-4-Wheel-Removals.jpg

Thanks for the Volvo pic Mark ! :wink: