PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
Some oldies.

Friend of mine had his final journey on the back of the Dovey Foden, nearly 20 years ago now, took a couple of shunts to get in to the cemetry road as I recall.

L3029p.JPGYou’re spot on there Keith with the location - you beat me to it.
The Leyland Clydesdale behind the Commer is one of KEM transport, who delivered milk to the Cadbury factory at Marlbrook, halfway between Hereford and Leominster.
Apparently, back in the late 70’s, and 80’s, the Marlbrook factory produced more milk chocolate than any other plant in the UK.
Mmmmm, chocolate

Cheers Keith

MrJake:

DEANB:
Some oldies.

Friend of mine had his final journey on the back of the Dovey Foden, nearly 20 years ago now, took a couple of shunts to get in to the cemetry road as I recall.

Each to his own and all that, but if my family send me on my last ride on a ■■■■ truck, I’ll come back and haunt em. :smiley:

kingswinford kit:

Buzzer:
Dean the Commer straw lorry reminds me of R.A.Mansbridge from Shootash near Romsey I may be wrong of course, Buzzer

Hi DEAN and Buzzer ,that location is the Newent junction on the A40 out of Gloucester . In the background is Cottrells Daimler Fleetline on route to Ruardean ,now our ROF should recognise that bus !! regards Keith

Indeed. The bus is probably carrying a load of bears from France. (Silly Forest of Dean joke- don’t let Leylandlover or Lurpak see it!). It always puzzled me that the engineers(?!) seemed unable to do without a camber on that junction. It was a bit of a bum-clencher if you had a decent load of straw on! The location is less than 20 miles from another of Paul’s favourite haunts, the verge just beyond the services at Ross-on-Wye. Hope he got his visa examined and his passport stamped at Gloucester.

kmills:
0You’re spot on there Keith with the location - you beat me to it.
The Leyland Clydesdale behind the Commer is one of KEM transport, who delivered milk to the Cadbury factory at Marlbrook, halfway between Hereford and Leominster.
Apparently, back in the late 70’s, and 80’s, the Marlbrook factory produced more milk chocolate than any other plant in the UK.
Mmmmm, chocolate

Cheers Keith

In former times, before the widespread use of bulk tanks for milk, Kem had a fleet of Bedford TJs for collecting churns. Before Kem transport was formed, the contract was held by R. T. Challoner for years and before that, R.H.Goulding did the milk rounds, my father being one of the drivers on the job with an O-model Bedford. Until fairly recently, the milk was taken to Cadbury’s depot at Frampton on Severn where, if the chaps liked the look of you, you would come away with a huge lump of chocolate which had to be hidden under the passenger’s seat! As you say, YUMMY!

Retired Old ■■■■:

kmills:
Mmmmm, chocolate

Cheers Keith

In former times, before the widespread use of bulk tanks for milk, Kem had a fleet of Bedford TJs for collecting churns. Before Kem transport was formed, the contract was held by R. T. Challoner for years and before that, R.H.Goulding did the milk rounds, my father being one of the drivers on the job with an O-model Bedford. Until fairly recently, the milk was taken to Cadbury’s depot at Frampton on Severn where, if the chaps liked the look of you, you would come away with a huge lump of chocolate which had to be hidden under the passenger’s seat! As you say, YUMMY!

Hi Rof,
I’m wondering whether the manufacturers of today are so generous to drivers as they were years ago, i used to load frequently from Mars at Slough and Nestles at Hayes and always was given a bag of goodies, mind you I always seemed to have plenty of mates back at the yard :astonished: !. it came with a penalty in later years though with only one of my original teeth left :laughing: toshboy

robroy:

MrJake:

DEANB:
Some oldies.

Each to his own and all that, but if my family send me on my last ride on a [zb] truck, I’ll come back and haunt em. :smiley:

I took an old work mate to his final resting place
I was his apprentice in the garage and if he showed you something and you weren’t paying attention he’d rap your knuckles with his toffee hammer or punch you in the arm and give you a “dead arm” ( it felt like being stung by a 100 wasps) He was by the way an ex Para
I made sure I went over as many potholes as possible on the way to the crematorium just to shake and bounce him about a bit
His wife and family thought it was hilarious when I told them why
Cheers Gary

^^^^;
Just out of interest mate that Sed Atk has a ■■■■■■■■ reg…who was it you worked for?
Looks like a Bewick motor, or an ex one.?

robroy:
^^^^;
Just out of interest mate that Sed Atk has a ■■■■■■■■ reg…who was it you worked for?

Hey up mate RAU 528X was new to JB Transport of Ironville it’s a Notts/Derbys registration number
I restored her in Stirlands of Nottinghams livery where I worked for 17 years
We ran quite a lot of 401s
Cheers Gary [emoji1303]

gazsa401:

robroy:
^^^^;

Hey up mate RAU 528X was new to JB Transport of Ironville it’s a Notts/Derbys registration number
Cheers Gary [emoji1303]

Looks well that wagon Gaz,all credit due to you.
Did your dad ever do the Stainmore changeover with Smith of Maddiston early 80s?

DEANB:
Posted some stuff on the previous page.

Paperco Mercedes.

M J Church MAN and a CSM Haulage Volvo.

Pilkington Volvo.

Loma Distribution Volvo powder tanker.

Wickes Scania.

Wilkinson Scania

GEFCO Mercedes.
Hi Dean,used to work on these they belonged to Edgwicks transport Tewkesbury and on contract to Gefco Tewkesbury were good motors also in the batch was Y912,3,4,5,6.cheers Keith flourpower.

Anyone recognise the Renault ■■?

Bobcat Plant DAF

BFS MAN.

DEANB:
W.H.Smith’s ERF.

Hovis ERF
Great pic again always liked these six wheelers converted from a flat to a curtainsider note the window in the front headboard cheers Flourpower.

A.Ruby Scania.

Swains of Stretton DAF.

Anyone recognise the Commer ■■ Possibly a farmer.

Think its a RAF Seddon Atkinson draw-bar.

J.E.Clark & Co Volvo F10.

F.J.Meakin Volvo F7.

Anyone recognise the Atkinson ■■

Air Products Seddon Atkinson.

gazsa401:

robroy:
^^^^;

Cheers Gary [emoji1303]

My mistake bud it’s RAU …thought it was RAO. :blush:
My eyes are ■■■■ useless these days, pleased I don’t drive a bloody great big 44 tonne artic or something…oh hang on a minute. :laughing: :laughing:

toshboy:

Retired Old ■■■■:

kmills:
Mmmmm, chocolate

Cheers Keith

Hi Rof,
I’m wondering whether the manufacturers of today are so generous to drivers as they were years ago, i used to load frequently from Mars at Slough and Nestles at Hayes and always was given a bag of goodies, mind you I always seemed to have plenty of mates back at the yard :astonished: !. it came with a penalty in later years though with only one of my original teeth left :laughing: toshboy

You’ve got more of your own teeth than I! I blame my grandmother who insisted on buying me a threepenny bar of Cadbury’s every day.

kmills:
Mmmmm, chocolate

Cheers Keith

Hey Keith ,truth to tell i did not even notice the KEM transport Clydesdale ,as i was taken with Cottrells Fleetline ,and we have not established who the owner of the Commer is . My guess a farmer out Newent or Dymock way ,cheers Keith ,regards Keith !

Chris Webb:

gazsa401:

robroy:
^^^^;

Cheers Gary [emoji1303]

Did your dad ever do the Stainmore changeover with Smith of Maddiston early 80s?

Hey up Chris thanks for your kind words the picture was taken several years ago
Unfortunately I had to let her go a few years ago due to ill health
My Dad was a roamer at Stirlands but he probably did the odd changeover at Stainmore as I did now and then in the early nineties as I too was a roamer
The changeover then moved a few times
To Crooklands then Carnforth then onto Lymm then finally Carlisle
Cheers Gary

kingswinford kit:

kmills:
Mmmmm, chocolate

Cheers Keith

Hey Keith ,truth to tell i did not even notice the KEM transport Clydesdale ,as i was taken with Cottrells Fleetline ,and we have not established who the owner of the Commer is . My guess a farmer out Newent or Dymock way ,cheers Keith ,regards Keith !

I can’t say that I remember a farmer who ran a red Commer back in those days. I reckon it’s more than likely a farmer from up on the Cotswolds delivering to a customer. Wouldn’t have done for me, though- only eight bales high? Half a load!

gazsa401:

robroy:
^^^^;

Cheers Gary [emoji1303]

[/quote]
Hey up Chris thanks for your kind words the picture was taken several years ago
Unfortunately I had to let her go a few years ago due to ill health
My Dad was a roamer at Stirlands but he probably did the odd changeover at Stainmore as I did now and then in the early nineties as I too was a roamer
The changeover then moved a few times
To Crooklands then Carnforth then onto Lymm then finally Carlisle
Cheers Gary
[/quote]
I got a lift with a SOM driver from Penrith to Stainmore and a Stirland driver from there to J1 M18 one night mid 1980.I’d left a wagon at Penrith that night when I worked for MFS Maltby and log booked it back (with train fare in pocket). The Stirland wagon was a V reg Sed Atki with 180 I think,the SOM was a B Series ERF with ■■■■■■■ and Fuller.I was picked up at midnight and was at J1 M18 at 0330.Rock on. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A quick question to Chris Webb; Did you ever actually complete a round journey in a lorry as you only seem to have driven them one way and then hitched back home? :laughing: Delivering new chassis/cabs to dealers would have been a job readymade for you,! :wink:

Pete.