PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Bowker Foden

Wow, that’s brilliant!! It was one of three Fodens bought in the 1970s, when Atkis were in short supply. One had a 250 ■■■■■■■ and the others were 220s

There was one memorable Saturday morning in the office, when the fleet engineer held forth at some considerable length with his memories of their shortcomings, many and varied, and all three were sold off within a year because they were so disastrous

That picture caught my eye too! That one looks like a Haulmaster. Were they fitted with 12-sp Foden 'boxes or 9-sp Fuller do you remember? Robert

They were definitely Foden: I remember because that was a part of the rant! Something about the exhaust being routed under the 'box and frying it, also rings a bell

It pre-dates the Haulmaster by a few years,though - this will be an S80? It’s on an M-plate

Definitely an S80 we had three with 220 ■■■■■■■ 2 on M plates and 1on an L all fitted with Foden boxes

This ford was well used by hauliers on the furniture another George bros cheers John

smallcoal:
The wagon and drag were all demounts ,moomooland is the best on remploy

That is actually me in the Remploy wagon & drag picture above.

It was taken in 1978 at Remploy’s Springburn factory where i had loaded tubular office furniture back for Oldham.

Most of the fleet were demounts as can be seen here in later years by which time they had changed to this ghastly livery!

Remploy Transport Department Oldham

moomooland:

smallcoal:

That is actually me in the Remploy wagon & drag picture.

It was taken in 1978 at Remploy’s Springburn factory where i had loaded tubular office furniture back for Oldham.

Most of the fleet were demounts as can be seen here in later years by which time they had changed to this awful livery!

I was talking to Johnny brimfield the other day he is 82 and fit as a fiddle I got a pic of remploy wagon and drag that dai McLean drove

Rather than hijack this thread regarding Remploy there is a dedicated thread regarding Remploy Ltd Borough Mill Neild Street Oldham HERE

Hi DEAN …love that William Morgan Borderer ! …Great shot ,my father tells me …they hauled Pressed steel products from Llanelli down to Dover for forwarding to a British Leyland plant in Belgium …
Locally they hauled from the former "Tick Tock " plant Ingersol …Their was about 4 drivers at Talgarth …which was also a changeover point …cheers Geraint .

Blimey Dean, already from a young age you really didn’t fancy seeing those mighty Crusaders eh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

. That’s the brian chilton as featured in Wales online ,got a transcontinental burnt out during the miners strike ?

Heres a few that had several pics taken of them.

Pegaso,Mazo still going today.

AA15.JPG

Bakers DAF

AB31.JPG

Chandon unic and Yardley Foden.

AM09.JPG

New Foden

AM16.JPG

Walls Scania

AQ10.JPG

BRS Crusader

AS33.JPG

Wynns Atkinson

AY24.JPG

Kings heavy haulage

A00190.JPG

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Bowker Foden

Wow, that’s brilliant!! It was one of three Fodens bought in the 1970s, when Atkis were in short supply. One had a 250 ■■■■■■■ and the others were 220s

There was one memorable Saturday morning in the office, when the fleet engineer held forth at some considerable length with his memories of their shortcomings, many and varied, and all three were sold off within a year because they were so disastrous

Glad you liked that one “240 gardner” :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
All these Atkis ,“240 Gardner” will be along in a minute ! :laughing:

Just catching up… :wink:

Not only the Atkis, but just the nostalgia, and reminders of names I used to deal with or see, such as Free Foresters. If I remember rightly, they were one of the hauliers at the Ribena factory (Royal Forest Factory, it was called) at Coleford

I know what you mean ,it certainly does bring back memories of the old trucks and companies and its
surprising how many you had totally forgotten about ! :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Bowker Foden

That picture caught my eye too! That one looks like a Haulmaster. Were they fitted with 12-sp Foden 'boxes or 9-sp Fuller do you remember? Robert

Thanks for your comments Robert ! :wink:

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Bowker Foden

They were definitely Foden: I remember because that was a part of the rant! Something about the exhaust being routed under the 'box and frying it, also rings a bell

It pre-dates the Haulmaster by a few years,though - this will be an S80? It’s on an M-plate

Heres a haulmaster ! :wink:

[/quote]
Definately an S80, it will have the Foden 8/9/12 speed 'box (call it want you want, they are all in there if you search around) and worm and wheel back end (possibly 4.8 ratio) with reduction hubs. Not sure what engine though, a front mounted exhaust so could be anything under that cab?

Pete.
[/quote]
Thanks Pete for your comments and input ! :wink: :smiley:

gingerfold:

DEANB:
Todays pics.

Harold Wood ERF tanker, must have been a fair size company as we have had a fair few of his ?

Harold Wood…an absolute giant of tanker haulage, started as an owner driver in the early 1930s and built up to about 700 tankers by 1970 when he sold out to UTT I think it was, (but needs verifying). In its day Harold Wood was the largest privately owned tanker haulier in the country and was a massive AEC user, even owning AEC dealerships. They carried every type of bulk liquids you can name. A legend of tanker operations and innovation. The ERF dates from when the company had been sold by Harold Wood.

Thanks “gingerfold” i never knew that they were that large,700 tankers ! Would that have been the largest
privately owned truck company in the UK in the 1970s ■■? Were there any other independent companies
that anyone can think of that were bigger ?

Heres a nice one posted earlier in the thread.

A00287.JPG

smallcoal:
A few more pics blue line ,George bros Swansea,remploy ford wagon and drag

Again great pics John thanks for posting ! The ford removal truck has the usual battle scars with
trees on the n/s front of the luton. Aluminium bodies were the worst,you could soon put some nasty
scars/dents in them. :wink: Not sure if the picture of the remploy motor is deceiving but that
motor looks tall !
[/quote]
[/quote]
Thanks John for your comments ! :smiley:

Spud1960:
Bowker Foden

Definitely an S80 we had three with 220 ■■■■■■■ 2 on M plates and 1on an L all fitted with Foden boxes
[/quote]
Cheers “Spud1960” thanks for your input ! :wink:

smallcoal:
This ford was well used by hauliers on the furniture another George bros cheers John

Thanks again John for the pics,never get tired of looking at the old Bedfords ! :wink: :smiley:

That is actually me in the Remploy wagon & drag picture above.

Fame at last Paul ! :laughing: Thanks for your input ! :wink:

kenfig bill:
Hi DEAN …love that William Morgan Borderer ! …Great shot ,my father tells me …they hauled Pressed steel products from Llanelli down to Dover for forwarding to a British Leyland plant in Belgium …
Locally they hauled from the former "Tick Tock " plant Ingersol …Their was about 4 drivers at Talgarth …which was also a changeover point …cheers Geraint .

Thanks Geraint for your comments and input. :wink: :laughing:

pv83:
Blimey Dean, already from a young age you really didn’t fancy seeing those mighty Crusaders eh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Keep taking the medication Patrick ! :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
. That’s the brian chilton as featured in Wales online ,got a transcontinental burnt out during the miners strike ?

Cheers “Punchy Dan” Certainly a tidy motor ! :wink:

Info about Harold Wood Tankers Commercial Motor 1965
540-TANKER TAKEOVER BY STATE COMPANY
THE largest road tanker fleet in the country—Harold Wood and Sons Ltd., of
Heckmondwike, Yorks—is being bought through Pickfords Ltd. by the Transport Holding Company. This was announced on Monday, when it was revealed that Norcros Ltd., the owners of Harold Wood and Sons Ltd., are to be paid £1,275,000 in cash, while THC will also discharge the Harold Wood company’s indebtedness to Norcros for an amount totalling 061,000. Norcros Ltd, will also be entitled to an interim dividend from Harold Wood and Sons in respect of the current financial year, amounting to about 175,000 after payment of income tax

Stanfield:
Info about Harold Wood Tankers Commercial Motor 1965
540-TANKER TAKEOVER BY STATE COMPANY
THE largest road tanker fleet in the country—Harold Wood and Sons Ltd., of
Heckmondwike, Yorks—is being bought through Pickfords Ltd. by the Transport Holding Company. This was announced on Monday, when it was revealed that Norcros Ltd., the owners of Harold Wood and Sons Ltd., are to be paid £1,275,000 in cash, while THC will also discharge the Harold Wood company’s indebtedness to Norcros for an amount totalling 061,000. Norcros Ltd, will also be entitled to an interim dividend from Harold Wood and Sons in respect of the current financial year, amounting to about 175,000 after payment of income tax

Thanks John and gingerfold for posting the information about this company. So that was how Pickford’s
tank haulage was created i assume.

Todays pics.

All taken at poole docks,apart from the Compton Scania pic.

Croxson’s F88, name rings a bell not sure but may have been Poole based.

BM0008.JPG

Compton Scania 81

BM0020.JPG

Plain ERF

BM0024.JPG

Chrysler Dodge.

BM0010.JPG

Spanish Dodge

BM0011.JPG

Abbey Hill DAF loaded with new cars from the docks. Citroens ■■

BM0025.JPG

Atkinson Searcher ? of Furnell’s who were based at Poole docks.

BM0026.JPG

Pretty sure Bernie Digman was an owner driver from Poole.

BM0027.JPG

Atkins Mercedes.

BM0028.JPG

Heathwood transport Scania. The unit in the background with the door open is where Furnell’s
Atkinson wrecker operated from.

BM0030.JPG

Some foreign trucks at Poole docks.

Transportes Gutierrez SA,Valencia. F89

BM0013.JPG

BM0014.JPG

BM0015.JPG

Transportes Saralegui, San Sebastian MAN.

BM0012.JPG

BM0016.JPG

BM0017.JPG

BM0018.JPG

Transportes MAHE DAF 2800

BM0029.JPG

French DAF

BQ0009.JPG

Chapin Mercedes.

BN0020.JPG

DEANB:
Todays pics.

[/attachment]

Heathwood transport Scania. The unit in the background with the door open is where Furnell’s

It’s a Knight of some description (either Gold or Black, depending on its spec when new, or even Silver if it’'s a stretched tractor).

The Searcher wasn’t announced until late 1970, and had the Mk.2 cab

DEANB:
Thanks John and gingerfold for posting the information about this company. So that was how Pickford’s

No, Pickfords tanker operations already existed, and Harold Wood augmented it.

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Todays pics.

[/attachment]

It’s a Knight of some description (either Gold or Black, depending on its spec when new, or even Silver if it’'s a stretched tractor).

The Searcher wasn’t announced until late 1970, and had the Mk.2 cab

I knew that really “240 Gardner” just making sure you were paying attention ! :blush: :unamused: :smiley: :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

No, Pickfords tanker operations already existed, and Harold Wood augmented it.

Ok,thanks for confirming that,they must have been a huge company ! :wink:

Furnells Atki wrecker is interesting, I wonder what it really is. ■■■■■■■ engine and long wheelbase. So did Atkinson fit ■■■■■■■ engines into rigid six wheelers in the period between the single headlight cab and the MK2? so roughly 1963/4 and 1969/70, or is this a heavy haulage tractor unit which has had a chassis entension? a six wheel rigid with an engine transplant? or is it a mongrel?

I love the way Paul Gee goes in for the kill when he really likes a motor, and takes further close-up shots from different angles! :smiley: Robert