PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

At a guess looks like a load of ICI fertiliser probably out of Avonmouth Dean.

A03681p.JPG

That 6wheeler MAN was a rare beast, I think that’s the only 6wheeler rigid MAN I’ve ever seen, aside from the older bonneted heavy duty tipper chassis. I wonder if it was a converted tractor unit, it’s a 6x2, but the factory 6wheeler haulage chassis from the foreigners were mostly 6x2.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The Barlow and Hodgkinson Foden looks well worked like all of their fleet, I wonder how much diesel is stored in reserve in cans either under the tank or in the cab? : I think their tankers usually tied spare fuel cans onto the catwalk but none is visible! Rigsby will know. Having said that, I used to carry five gallons of derv and a gallon of oil in the cab when I ran down to St Clears with tarmac as a full tank wouldn’t quite do the journey! :blush:

Tilcon Haulmaster would be from one of the Forest of Dean quarries I reckon, Coleford or Whitecliffe, it looks too clean to be a Gore based one?

Pete.

TODAYS SELECTION

img389 (2).jpg

img387 (2).jpg

img407 (3).jpg

windrush:
The Barlow and Hodgkinson Foden looks well worked like all of their fleet, I wonder how much diesel is stored in reserve in cans either under the tank or in the cab? : I think their tankers usually tied spare fuel cans onto the catwalk but none is visible! Rigsby will know. Having said that, I used to carry five gallons of derv and a gallon of oil in the cab when I ran down to St Clears with tarmac as a full tank wouldn’t quite do the journey! :blush:

Tilcon Haulmaster would be from one of the Forest of Dean quarries I reckon, Coleford or Whitecliffe, it looks too clean to be a Gore based one?

Pete.

Barlows antics were boarded out on the chassis rails under the tank Pete , also loads of dunnage to level up on some of the sites . When Hazelcroft took them over my unit had 5 circles on the bunk where diesel cans had been carried . It took about 4 washes to get the stains and the stink out of the mattress , then mrs rigsby made me scrub the washing machine out . Dave

rigsby:
Barlows antics were boarded out on the chassis rails under the tank Pete , also loads of dunnage to level up on some of the sites . When Hazelcroft took them over my unit had 5 circles on the bunk where diesel cans had been carried . It took about 4 washes to get the stains and the stink out of the mattress , then mrs rigsby made me scrub the washing machine out . Dave

Yes I know a lad who drove for them and he said that some drivers on the rigids had to carry cans up onto the tanker catwalk and strap them on for long runs like Cornwall etc. They were not allowed to buy fuel out, and if they did then the driver paid for it with no reimbersement. I often wonder how he got to be so wealthy… :wink: I wonder if Dennis (Bewick) worked on those principles? :laughing:

Pete.

Bewick:

FLOURPOWER:
SHOW PICS TODAY TO FOLLOW ON WITH PAULS PHOTOS POSTED BY DEAN B.

Now that Leyland Steer is a strange beast as I only recall the AEC Mamouth Minor being advertised and sold. I would think that the Leyland with the 680 Power Plus engine was a far better bet than what turned out to be a very unreliable AEC, so I wonder if the Leyland was only produced for the export markets ? Cheers Dennis.

There were only about three Leyland Steers sold in the UK, and not that many exported. Got to disagree with you Dennis about the reliability f the AEC AV760 engine. It was a very reliable unit, whereas the AV691 wasn’t as reliable. I know you have posted previously that the Brady, or was it Arrowsmith Mandators with AV691s, were troublesome and I wouldn’t dispute that, but by 1967 the AV760 was the standard engine in the Mandator and made the Mandator into a very reliable unit. Turners had 30 new Mandators in 1966, the first batch of 12 with AV691s were problematic. The second batch of 18 with AV760s were a different kettle of fish all together.

DEANB:
H B & H Group Volvo F88

Pennlyne Foden.

D & D Transport’s MAN.

Barlow & Hodgkinson Foden.

Trevor G Phillips Seddon Atkinson.Welsh ■■? I would throw those poxy dice right out the window… :laughing:

Cant make name out on the well loaded smart Volvo.

Sunbridge ERF

Heres one for “windrush” :laughing:

Anyone recognise the Roman ■■?

SW Transport Atkinson. I will let Dennis comment on the sheeting ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Dean, I recently saw a picture of a BMC Mastiff artic of Harper & Mylrea of Liverpool on one of the “Old Time Lorries”
threads here on Trucknet, but I cant find it. If you can find it, could you please put it on the “Liverpool in the 60s” thread ?
Kind Regards, Ray.

DEANB:
H B & H Group Volvo F88

Pennlyne Foden.

D & D Transport’s MAN.

Barlow & Hodgkinson Foden.

Trevor G Phillips Seddon Atkinson.Welsh ■■? I would throw those poxy dice right out the window… :laughing:
Hi dean ,they were from cadoxton in neath they were a Welsh firm daibootsy would know more :smiley:

Cant make name out on the well loaded smart Volvo.

Sunbridge ERF

Heres one for “windrush” :laughing:

Anyone recognise the Roman ■■?

SW Transport Atkinson. I will let Dennis comment on the sheeting ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:
That 6wheeler MAN was a rare beast, I think that’s the only 6wheeler rigid MAN I’ve ever seen, aside from the older bonneted heavy duty tipper chassis. I wonder if it was a converted tractor unit, it’s a 6x2, but the factory 6wheeler haulage chassis from the foreigners were mostly 6x2.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Opened up to the maximum on a large screen whilst it is a bit pixilated I’m pretty sure that the grill badge says 16-240, so as you suggest nmm a converted tractor unit. It has to be said that a 240bhp, 12 speed six wheeler would have been a decent machine in 1979 even as a conversion.

jshepguis:

Bewick:

Now that Leyland Steer is a strange beast as I only recall the AEC Mamouth Minor being advertised and sold. I would think that the Leyland with the 680 Power Plus engine was a far better bet than what turned out to be a very unreliable AEC, so I wonder if the Leyland was only produced for the export markets ? Cheers Dennis.

Do remember Sandersons buying 2 Atkinsons usual Gardner 180 but with longer wheelbase for a contract with Seatrain containers the 2 skeletal trailers which were hired were longer and standard wheelbase would not go under. The contract did not last very long, remember them being always heavy. My dad then got it a couple of years later on local registration was YAJ 272K. And the ride was definately better than the standard one, even with badly placed coil loads out of BSC Lackenby trailer scheme.
[/quote]
Thanks for the comments “jshepguis” :wink:

phop:
Volvo f10 ted fox Ashbourne Derbyshire

Thanks for the name “phop” tidy looking motor ! :smiley:

jshepguis:
At a guess looks like a load of ICI fertiliser probably out of Avonmouth Dean.

:smiley:

newmercman:

Man built a six wheeler chassis like you say “newmercman” :wink: Never thought about them being rare in
the UK until your comment ? Surely they must have offered it to the UK market as you could buy 8 wheelers.

windrush:

Pete.

Thanks for the comments Pete, the smell of diesel in the cab must have been nice ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

FLOURPOWER:
TODAYS SELECTION

Nice pics “FLOURPOWER” :wink:

rigsby:

Thanks for the comment Dave. Carrying diesel in the cab,what a company they must have been… :unamused:

gingerfold:

Bewick:

There were only about three Leyland Steers sold in the UK, and not that many exported. Got to disagree with you Dennis about the reliability f the AEC AV760 engine. It was a very reliable unit, whereas the AV691 wasn’t as reliable. I know you have posted previously that the Brady, or was it Arrowsmith Mandators with AV691s, were troublesome and I wouldn’t dispute that, but by 1967 the AV760 was the standard engine in the Mandator and made the Mandator into a very reliable unit. Turners had 30 new Mandators in 1966, the first batch of 12 with AV691s were problematic. The second batch of 18 with AV760s were a different kettle of fish all together.
[/quote]
Thanks for your comments Dennis and Graham. :smiley:

Ray Smyth:

Hi Dean, I recently saw a picture of a BMC Mastiff artic of Harper & Mylrea of Liverpool on one of the "Old Time Lorries"threads here on Trucknet, but I cant find it. If you can find it, could you please put it on the “Liverpool in the 60s” thread ? Kind Regards, Ray.
[/quote]
Hello Ray, you saw it on here chap,will pop it on the Liverpool thread. :laughing: :wink:

smallcoal:

DEANB:
Hi dean ,they were from cadoxton in neath they were a Welsh firm daibootsy would know more :smiley:

Thanks for that John ! :smiley:

acd1202:

newmercman:

Opened up to the maximum on a large screen whilst it is a bit pixilated I’m pretty sure that the grill badge says 16-240, so as you suggest nmm a converted tractor unit. It has to be said that a 240bhp, 12 speed six wheeler would have been a decent machine in 1979 even as a conversion.

:unamused: :laughing: :wink:

Like you say “acd1202” a 240 bhp 6 wheeler was a beast back in 1979 !

One for “FLOURPOWER” Heygates ERF

P2180016p.JPG

Callana DAF tipper.

P2180019p.JPG

P & O / Roadways Scania.

P2180020p.JPG

Muntons Malt ERF

P2190047p.JPG

Stewart Young Foden.

P6040049p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■?

P6040059p.JPG

Longs of Leeds DAF

P8130012p.JPG

Salop Caravans.

P8130033p.JPG

Les Hughes Foden.

P8130037p.JPG

Great looking 143 of T.Alun Jones.

P8130052p.JPG

The Volvo is likely to be Mike Brookes from Hereford

Good morning Dean,
Something very “Sayers” about this truck, Harvey

sayers.jpg

P4250009p.JPG

Yesterday, my nephew and I went to a Model Railway Exhibition at Merchant Taylors School in Crosby, Merseyside.
This dockside layout depicting a flour mill and a Scania artic caught my eye. The layout is called “Canada Street”,
and the guidebook describes the flour mills as representative of those at Gloucester and Liverpool docks.
These 2 pictures may be of particular interest to Gingerfold and Flourpower. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Thanks for posting those photos Ray. Plenty of time and patience has gone into those models. The model maker has my admiration.

DEANB:
Daz, looks like one of your mate again. :wink:

Stobart Volvo

Kane haulage Volvo Hi Dean you are spoiling me again with more get photos with tipper companys which are based from my neck of the woods
Andy kane haulage is based in ST Albans and they no longer run Volvos any more he has replaced the fleet back to mans again going back from70s 80s
and sadley my mate Richard paul childs from watford with the blue mans tippers passed aways this year and closed his company down very sad news
by the way Dean would Paul have any London tipper company of Routemans Maggies Dafs etc etc keep up the great work guys
All the very best
Regards Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

T.Baker & Sons Volvo

Forest Freight Mercedes.

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■?

Bowmans ERF

Ford’s International Magnum.

Onox ERF

Perkins tidy Foden.

DEANB:

windrush:

Pete.

Thanks for the comments Pete, the smell of diesel in the cab must have been nice ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

FLOURPOWER:
TODAYS SELECTION

rigsby:

Thanks for the comment Dave. Carrying diesel in the cab,what a company they must have been… :unamused:

I had the chassis rails boarded out on my tank. Only took half an hour after the boss had gone home and solved my storage problems at a stroke but the old man kept nagging about where his two sheets of 18mm plywood had disappeared to!

DEANB:

windrush:

Pete.

FLOURPOWER:
TODAYS SELECTION

rigsby:

I had the chassis rails boarded out on my tank. Only took half an hour after the boss had gone home and solved my storage problems at a stroke but the old man kept nagging about where his two sheets of 18mm plywood had disappeared to!