PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

A03503p.JPG Lovely shot of the old ERF LV loaded to the hilt.
B. E. Williams Ltd Agricultural Supplies of Station Road Sennybridge Brecon are still in business today.
One of the vehicles they run is this ex Stobart Scania 114L 380 6x2 draw-bar outfit.

Photograph courtesy of Chris Farnah.

The Sed Ak article was interesting. The 400’s we had on Tilcon suffered the uneven brake wear problem despite monthly adjustment (the front half of the lining was like new and the rear half was on the rivets!) and the Lipe clutches suffered from spring breakages which to be fair also affected the ones in the Fodens. The ‘cure’ was fitting plates with solid centres, however with having no cushioning springs they eventually wore the splines on the gearbox primary shaft resulting in the plates failing to clear properly as they jammed on the worn splines and then both the clutch AND shaft had to be replaced!! :unamused: Wiper linkages also fell apart, and after around only six years the cabs were rotting away. We soon returned to ‘plastic cabbed’ Fodens! :wink:

Pete.

Hi Pete a couple of eps for you ,eurocare had a fridge trailer a tandem with the axles right on the back looked like a yank trailer

image.jpeg

smallcoal:

Kempston:
I drove for Shanks (Shanks & McEwan when I started) for 11 years, have to say a good company to work for, very good money, probably the best in the Bedford area at the time. Good terms and conditions as Shanks & McEwan bought out the waste disposal side of London Brick so we inherited London Brick terms and conditions.

Hi kempston I drove for shanks in Swansea depot on the rolonoffs till they finished biffa took them over cheers John

Hi
Shanks is still going, well its called Renewi now. They only sold the commercial waste side to Biffa. Still got a few big recycling and sorting plants in the London area and a few up north as well still got at least one landfill in Scotland and Lorries too, so you may still see a Shanks or “Renewi” Lorry on the road.

Great article on the Seddon Atkinson 401 there Dean [emoji1303]

HI Dean
I am sure the PG Tips Merc is Lenham Storage Lenham or Andover
Cheers
Rich

A00015 (1).JPG
I used to drive one just like that at National Carriers…and have 4 nights out every week in it.
Northern Scotch in Winter day cab with no night heater, waking up and scraping off the frost on the INSIDE of the windscreen… :open_mouth: :smiley:

smallcoal:
shanks was a tidy firm I liked working there the tankers were on Alberto Swansea taking waste shampoo to avonmouth

We had at least one lorry a day run down to Avonmouth and load waste solvent back to Stewartby. We also tried one night and day down there but the tipping was a problem so they just did it on days.

This ERF has the biggest set of air horns I’ve ever seen!

ERF .jpg

Hi Dean,
more great shots and i’m loving the old TRUCK magazine articles.That’s J.R’s full time painter Pat Sweeney,he used to make that fleet look spot on for many years.

Kempston:

smallcoal:
shanks was a tidy firm I liked working there the tankers were on Alberto Swansea taking waste shampoo to avonmouth

We had at least one lorry a day run down to Avonmouth and load waste solvent back to Stewartby. We also tried one night and day down there but the tipping was a problem so they just did it on days.

Hi kempston,pontypool site is still there untouched since they closed it ,our yard was in town hill Swansea in th middle of an estate one of our skip drivers Colin now departed was on his phone to dai skippy a car was alongside him telling him to get off his phone 3 times he give the finger till they phoned the yard they were vosa in a plain car :laughing: :laughing:

Good morning all,
Great postings Dean, this one cought my eye, forward mounted exhaust box on what looks like a general purpose tipper, a problem waiting to happen.
Cant be ADR as no clips on rear windows, Ok, going back to bed now, cheers, Harvey

smallcoal:

Kempston:

smallcoal:

Hi kempston,pontypool site is still there untouched since they closed it ,our yard was in town hill Swansea in th middle of an estate one of our skip drivers Colin now departed was on his phone to dai skippy a car was alongside him telling him to get off his phone 3 times he give the finger till they phoned the yard they were vosa in a plain car :laughing: :laughing:

Whoops! :sunglasses:

4B370790-7FC7-4924-8517-AD37A5EF02AF.jpeg

Drove for Argos via an agency for a number of years out of Marshleys in kempston. A good job at the time and I really liked it until they changed all the shifts around. This looks like a marshleys motor XEB from what I can make out.

moomooland:
Lovely shot of the old ERF LV loaded to the hilt.
B. E. Williams Ltd Agricultural Supplies of Station Road Sennybridge Brecon are still in business today.
One of the vehicles they run is this ex Stobart Scania 114L 380 6x2 draw-bar outfit.
Photograph courtesy of Chris Farnah.

Thanks for the info and pic Paul ! :wink:

windrush:
The Sed Ak article was interesting. The 400’s we had on Tilcon suffered the uneven brake wear problem despite monthly adjustment (the front half of the lining was like new and the rear half was on the rivets!) and the Lipe clutches suffered from spring breakages which to be fair also affected the ones in the Fodens. The ‘cure’ was fitting plates with solid centres, however with having no cushioning springs they eventually wore the splines on the gearbox primary shaft resulting in the plates failing to clear properly as they jammed on the worn splines and then both the clutch AND shaft had to be replaced!! :unamused: Wiper linkages also fell apart, and after around only six years the cabs were rotting away. We soon returned to ‘plastic cabbed’ Fodens! Pete.

Glad you liked the article Pete ! :wink:

smallcoal:
Hi Pete a couple of eps for you ,eurocare had a fridge trailer a tandem with the axles right on the back looked like a yank trailer

Tidy fleet John,thanks for posting the pics ! :smiley:

RB84:

smallcoal:

Kempston:
I drove for Shanks (Shanks & McEwan when I started) for 11 years, have to say a good company to work for, very good money, probably the best in the Bedford area at the time. Good terms and conditions as Shanks & McEwan bought out the waste disposal side of London Brick so we inherited London Brick terms and conditions.

Hi kempston I drove for shanks in Swansea depot on the rolonoffs till they finished biffa took them over cheers John

Hi,Shanks is still going, well its called Renewi now. They only sold the commercial waste side to Biffa. Still got a few big recycling and sorting plants in the London area and a few up north as well still got at least one landfill in Scotland and Lorries too, so you may still see a Shanks or “Renewi” Lorry on the road.

Thanks for the comment “RB84” :wink:

gazsa401:
Great article on the Seddon Atkinson 401 there Dean [emoji1303]

Thought you might like that Gary ! :laughing:

tribsa:
HI Dean
I am sure the PG Tips Merc is Lenham Storage Lenham or Andover. Cheers Rich

Thanks for the info Rich ! :wink:

robroy:
I used to drive one just like that at National Carriers…and have 4 nights out every week in it.
Northern Scotch in Winter day cab with no night heater, waking up and scraping off the frost on the INSIDE of the windscreen… :open_mouth: :smiley:

“robroy” A bit nippy when you first get out of the sleeping bag chap ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

Kempston:

smallcoal:

Thanks for your comments “Kempston” :smiley:

Mark R:
This ERF has the biggest set of air horns I’ve ever seen!

Did’nt they used to market them as train horns Mark ■■ :unamused:

pete 359:
Hi Dean,
more great shots and i’m loving the old TRUCK magazine articles.That’s J.R’s full time painter Pat Sweeney,he used to make that fleet look spot on for many years.

Cheers Andrew,glad you like the articles. :wink:

smallcoal:

I bet he regretted that John ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

HRS:
Good morning all,Great postings Dean, this one cought my eye, forward mounted exhaust box on what looks like a general purpose tipper, a problem waiting to happen.
Cant be ADR as no clips on rear windows, Ok, going back to bed now, cheers, Harvey

Well spotted Harvey, i wonder if it was a cancelled order from a tanker company ■■ Like you say i imagine
that the exhaust did not last too long going off road on sites etc. :laughing:

Kempston:
Drove for Argos via an agency for a number of years out of Marshleys in kempston. A good job at the time and I really liked it until they changed all the shifts around. This looks like a marshleys motor XEB from what I can make out.

Thanks for the photos “Kempston” :smiley: :wink: Heres another one of a Argos motor ! :wink:

P6040071p.JPG

Mallett & Sons ERF/MAN.

P2130018p.JPG

B.R.Saunders Volvo

P2130065p.JPG

C.B.Morgan from Shaftesbury. There yard used to be just on the outskirts heading towards Warminster.
Can anyone remember the name of the company that operated from there yard selling American motors ■■

P2130068p.JPG

Barry Cannell Magnum.

P2130069p.JPG

Seddon Atkinson dust cart.

P2130075p.JPG

Euroquip Mercedes.

P2130077p.JPG

Clearway Volvo.

P2130087p.JPG

Travis Perkins Leyland/DAF.

P2130091p.JPG

Homebase DAF.

P2140125p.JPG

Joseph Rice Foden.

P3010003p.JPG

We have had a fair few Bedford Tm’s on here !

A00078.JPG

A00099.JPG

A00120.JPG

A00201.JPG

A00312.JPG

2017-06-10 17.57.45.jpg

2017-06-19 12.01.23.jpg

2017-06-19 15.31.24.jpg

2017-06-19 18.56.09.jpg

2017-06-25 13.36.53.jpg

Click on article twice to read.