PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Bewick:
The advert for the Hutchinson F86 as it states it completed 7 round trips a week from the Wark and Kielder forests to Bowaters at Ellesmere port. So they must have run back empty, doesn’t sound very profitable to me as the rates for that job were [zb] and there was a continual battle up there with the likes of Jos. Millican always trying to convert their Contract “A” licences to “A” so they could reload out of Merseyside back North after tipping pulp wood at Ellesmere, their continuous argument was the timber rates were totally un-economic one way empty and Robsons always objected by saying they had capacity to carry pulpwood if they could obtain a viable rate for the job " ONE WAY" . Could this “trumpet blowing” by Volvo just have been poetic licence ? Possibly ! knowing what I was told and what there is in the Motor Transport archive reports of the LA hearings ! Cheers Bewick.

Probably poetic licence. Might have done it one week but then realised setting fire to your own wallet was an easier way of losing money.

Bewick:
The advert for the Hutchinson F86 as it states it completed 7 round trips a week from the Wark and Kielder forests to Bowaters at Ellesmere port. So they must have run back empty, doesn’t sound very profitable to me as the rates for that job were [zb] and there was a continual battle up there with the likes of Jos. Millican always trying to convert their Contract “A” licences to “A” so they could reload out of Merseyside back North after tipping pulp wood at Ellesmere, their continuous argument was the timber rates were totally un-economic one way empty and Robsons always objected by saying they had capacity to carry pulpwood if they could obtain a viable rate for the job " ONE WAY" . Could this “trumpet blowing” by Volvo just have been poetic licence ? Possibly ! knowing what I was told and what there is in the Motor Transport archive reports of the LA hearings ! Cheers Bewick.

Probably poetic licence. Might have done it one week but then realised setting fire to your own wallet was an easier way of losing money.

Hi dean sparks still going this I seen in Swindon at a low bridge :blush: :blush: :blush: and some pics of his fleet

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some mansel Davies

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hello Dean,
Great shots of the NEC trucks, spent many hours maning stands in my time. The one and only time in there lives a truck looked that good, fantastic.
Do you think Leyland were trying to tell us all something, as in both groups of your pictures of the exhibition, each Leyland had a well placed fire extinguisher in front of it. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Harvey

Buzzer:
Sparks are going strong see em all the time when on me way to Frome Market and very tidy they are to, they are doing quite a few containers nowadays but still got loads of tautliner’s as well, they used to run mostly Scania’s but see they have some Reno’s now. Did they not do work for Clarke shoe’s who I believe are down there way also, when I was at junior school we were always in Clarkes sandels with the crepe souls and they were a favourite for school kids as they measured the width of your foot also which was important apparently. Bought a 141 scanny ex Sparks LCG ###T from Unit Commercials in Salisbury ■■■■ good motor too, cheers Buzzer.

Hi John, Spoke to a Sparks driver at the end of last year in Saisburys, East kilbride. David retired, but like you, still keeps an eye on things.
I remember delivering a few 110’s about 1973/4 and what a nice man he was and he always looked after his motors well. Harvey

smallcoal:
Some mansel Davies

Hi John…that’s a lovely looking pic of Mansel’s F7 and the coil trailer…personally those F7 especialy the sleeper cabs were beatiful looking trucks…Mansels colours realy made them look special .

marktaff:

smallcoal:
Some mansel Davies

Hi John…that’s a lovely looking pic of Mansel’s F7 and the coil trailer…personally those F7 especialy the sleeper cabs were beatiful looking trucks…Mansels colours realy made them look special .

Hi mate yes the trucks are always smart with him how you keeping

smallcoal:
Hi all,you don’t see trade stands like that anymore that was when you advertised proper trucks ,that used to take place at Earl’s Court nowadays everything is leased cheers John

Hi John here’s another from back in the day.

Buzzer:
Sparks are going strong see em all the time when on me way to Frome Market and very tidy they are to, they are doing quite a few containers nowadays but still got loads of tautliner’s as well, they used to run mostly Scania’s but see they have some Reno’s now. Did they not do work for Clarke shoe’s who I believe are down there way also, when I was at junior school we were always in Clarkes sandels with the crepe souls and they were a favourite for school kids as they measured the width of your foot also which was important apparently. Bought a 141 scanny ex Sparks LCG ###T from Unit Commercials in Salisbury ■■■■ good motor too, cheers Buzzer.

Hiya,Buzzer…here she is LCG 920T :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Chris Webb:

oiltreader:
NEI ERF. I wonder what this truck carried as the sides are very low ■■?
Hi Dean, my guess would be small sacks of ball bearings or shot.
Oily"

The ERF belongs to International Combustion Ltd., of Derby.I think their place was on Sinfin Lane,I delivered steel there once or twice late 60s.
I don’t know what the NEI sticker stands for. :unamused:

NEI stands for Northern Engineering Industries. NEI bought the company I worked for, W.H.Allen of Bedford. They owned many heavy engineering companies mainly involved in power generation. I used to deliver and collect from Sinfin Lane Derby. They had a small fleet of mainly ERF vehicles, some artics and a couple of rigids.

moomooland:

smallcoal:
Hi all,you don’t see trade stands like that anymore that was when you advertised proper trucks ,that used to take place at Earl’s Court nowadays everything is leased cheers John

Hi Paul that’s a cracking pic they had a truck stands in Swansea years ago pity they don’t hold them anymore

Frankydobo:
This will be an RAF Wagon and Drag Dean, they had the yellow stripe around their vehicles, Army usually Green sometimes with Black contours applied.
Franky.

May have been based at RAF Cardington, Bedford. They operated a small fleet, mainly Leyland artics with a single axle trailers.

DEANB:
Some more from the Truck show.

Leyland Constructor.

Leyland Constructor.

ERF

Volvo F6

Jelcz.Dont think they sold too many ■■ :unamused: Or the one below !

Star

Seddon Atkinson.

White.

Scania

Magirus Deutz.

Hi Dean and Paul what year was that when them photos were taken at the indoor show at Crystal Palace of the ARC Leyland Constructor tipper etc excellent gems again on this thread hope all you guys are keeping well as i have not been on for a while Regards Daz :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

moomooland:

smallcoal:

Nice one Moomooland! I date this picture as 1974, as you can see an ERF NGC ‘European’ just to the left of the AEC overhead sign :wink: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

moomooland:

smallcoal:

Nice one Moomooland! I date this picture as 1974, as you can see an ERF NGC ‘European’ just to the left of the AEC overhead sign :wink: Robert

The Commercial Motor Show was held at Earls Court London every other year and always opened by Royalty. The last by Princess Anne
From about the age of five I went to everyone

Over the years we had 2 vehicles Exhibited.
1948 Spurlings stand Bedford Livestock carrier seen on the photo as my father was bringing it from London home to Spennymoor. We had a photo sadly lost of it after it had arrived & been sign-written & then lo & behold this one turned up on Ebay. Dad said pulling out of London near Swiss Cottage he was pulled in by a police man who said he just stopped him to admire the van. This photo must have been taken somewhere where he stopped to eat, sadly my dad had died about three years before I got the photo as he would have been so surprised & would have known where it was taken. The rocker cover on the Bedford engine had all been chromed plated by Bedford for the show and so had the dip stick. Dad said when he stopped he tried to dip the oil & found the dip stick was also chrome so he had to stop another Bedford driver to borrow his dip stick.
1980 (I think was the final London show) Bedford-Marsden pantechnicon on the Marsden stand. Once again about a year before the show we were invited to order a vehicle that would be exhibited in the show and once again the Bedford KG chassis scuttle was a special show order from Bedford. On this occasion we could subsequently find nothing special from Bedford. Presumably their effort must have been into seeing it was to their most recent specification and checked over to ensure no faults had been overlooked. I went to Earls Court & saw the vehicle but foolishly never took a photo

DEANB:
Some more from the Truck show.

Leyland Constructor.

Hi Dean :slight_smile:

Great pic of the ARC Constructor… Could you ask Paul (unless you know?) what year this was taken please… That lorry would have been based locally to me so it may be possible to work out the reg and who drove it… :smiley:

If possible, could you send me a copy of the pic please?

Great memories coming out again, all thanks to you and Paul :smiley:

I remember going to sparks yard a few times back in the late 90’s when I was at Taylor’s. There was a girl in the office, forgotten her name, that was friendly with a girl in our office (phone friends). I always had a good flirt with her [emoji6]

Thanks to Paul,Oily,Buzzer,John,Harvey,marktaff,Bubbs,Bewick,Kempston,Arcdaz,Robert,Carl Williams,
Piston broke and nomiS36 for all the comments and photos. :wink:

The 141 looked tidy in Buzzers colours and when Bubbs caught it in Spark’s colours. Looks like i am the
only bugger that has not seen one of there’s for a while ! :unamused: :laughing:

John,you may have missed a question i posted to you regarding the Mansel Davies fleet. Do you know
roughly how many motors they run these days as i always like seeing there fleet when in Wales.

DEANB:
Thanks to Paul,Oily,Buzzer,John,Harvey,marktaff,Bubbs,Bewick,Kempston,Arcdaz,Robert,Carl Williams,
Piston broke and nomiS36 for all the comments and photos. :wink:

The 141 looked tidy in Buzzers colours and when Bubbs caught it in Spark’s colours. Looks like i am the
only bugger that has not seen one of there’s for a while ! :unamused: :laughing:

John,you may have missed a question i posted to you regarding the Mansel Davies fleet. Do you know
roughly how many motors they run these days as i always like seeing there fleet when in Wales.

Hi dean sorry did not see that ,with his 8 wheel tankers, tippers and arctics I would say best part over 250 ,plus they run perennial freight ,they do all the farms if you go on the website it gives all the family history there was a programme on last year loriau mansel Davies on s4c following his company you can get it on I player ,next time I go up there we deliver the Volvo batteries I will find out for you cheers John