PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Earls Transport Volvo F86. Dont remember seeing many 8 wheelers with a rear lift ? There were
thousands of six wheelers fitted with rear lift.

Robert Earl Ltd.,from Greenland Road Sheffield 9. I remember seeing this F86 with “Crazy Daisy” int windscreen. :smiley:
The first 8-legger F86 they bought was driven by “fat Chris”,long wheelbase one for 30 ton gross and it was a handful to get round some of the roundabouts on Derby Ring Road he was telling us int pub one night. He had to shunt the &&**%%$ thing to get round one of em.He were also known as “egg on legs”. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is the car transporter from Silcock and Collins I think that was there colour scheme

Chris Webb:
Earls Transport Volvo F86. Dont remember seeing many 8 wheelers with a rear lift ? There were

Robert Earl Ltd.,from Greenland Road Sheffield 9. I remember seeing this F86 with “Crazy Daisy” int windscreen. :smiley:
The first 8-legger F86 they bought was driven by “fat Chris”,long wheelbase one for 30 ton gross and it was a handful to get round some of the roundabouts on Derby Ring Road he was telling us int pub one night. He had to shunt the &&**%%$ thing to get round one of em.He were also known as “egg on legs”. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Didn’t Earls run quite a few Marathon’s Chris? I went in their yard one snowy winter’s day and I was directed by someone in the office to “find the old bloke in the yard”. So I did, found an elderly gent in overalls and flat cap pottering about in the yard, turned out he was the owner. Typical of quite a few old school hauliers of that era, they preferred being in the yard to sitting in the office.

DEANB:
I reckon Chris will like this one ! Marathon P & O.

Very smart, thank you! :wink:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

Didn’t Earls run quite a few Marathon’s Chris? I went in their yard one snowy winter’s day and I was directed by someone in the office to “find the old bloke in the yard”. So I did, found an elderly gent in overalls and flat cap pottering about in the yard, turned out he was the owner. Typical of quite a few old school hauliers of that era, they preferred being in the yard to sitting in the office.

Yes they did run some Marathons Graham,they had quite a big fleet as well. They took over Talbot Transport and Rivelin Valley Transport over the years. I remember late 60s four of their drivers went to Liverpool Docks and couldn’t get tipped that day. They all parked on Arthur’s Café on the East Lancs and went home to Sheffield in a tractor unit and back over next day to get back int queue. Owt were better than Arden House Bootle where the “look after yer lorry mister” brigade were ever present. :angry: :angry: :angry: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

DRG Plastics Mercedes.I wonder if the cars parked on the central reservation are doing a survey ■■

HI Dean - The cars on the roundabout are not involved in a survey. it was the original crossover coming out of Ross on Wye, as if you were heading up towards the Ross Spur Services and to join the M50.It’s long been replaced with what’s now know as the Overross or Labels roundabout. Our man Chris Webb will know this well, during his stint as an MFS driver, as he would have come out of Ross from the old Littlewoods yard this way to head back north - Bit of a hair raiser trying to get across with a wagon and drag !! Cheers Adie

adie5:
DRG Plastics Mercedes.I wonder if the cars parked on the central reservation are doing a survey ■■

HI Dean - The cars on the roundabout are not involved in a survey. it was the original crossover coming out of Ross on Wye, as if you were heading up towards the Ross Spur Services and to join the M50.It’s long been replaced with what’s now know as the Overross or Labels roundabout. Our man Chris Webb will know this well, during his stint as an MFS driver, as he would have come out of Ross from the old Littlewoods yard this way to head back north - Bit of a hair raiser trying to get across with a wagon and drag !! Cheers Adie

:laughing: :laughing:
Oh aye Adie,I’d forgotten about that,but at 0100 hrs there weren’t a lot of traffic about so no problem.Maybe the odd “Man of Ross” creeping about though. :grimacing:

Hiya…one of Earls Marathons,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:

Aye I remember that one Bubbs because of the Grimsby reg plate. I can’t remember who drove it though. :unamused:

DEANB:
Tidy 88 ! Look like Spiers and Hartwell.

F88,Crow tanker.

Tarmac Foden.

Birchalls Atkinson.

Hi Dean, Silcock,s.?

James Caffery Atkinson.

Goodyear ERF tanker.

Andrew will like this one Thos W Ward DAF

T.Brady Scania.

Anyone recognise the car transporter ■■ Colour looks familiar ■■

ThAt worked well…not

Silcock and collins, later rebranded to Silcock Expess■■?

I think…maybe wrong :smiley:

Hi dean the sharples I think is George they ran old trucks that 8 wheeler was pretty new cheers John

Great pictures today, nice to see the Edward’s Seddon Atkinson and interesting to read the article about Goodiers. What ever happened to them?

Hi Dean, Great photo’s once again.
6x2 tag was normal in Sweden for many years but they could not get thier head arround 8x4 ( why, when we have 30 ton 6x4 ) so they allowed Irvine, Scotland to set up and make 8x4 (30 ton ).
Import long 6x4 and add the second steer. drag link etc, so this was also done with, as you say, a few 6x2 tags.
Volvo do not allways get it right ( not just the 290) but here is my attempt to show there “Robson Drive”, a blind man could see it had no future. Who can remember it ■■?
The sprocket would come down between the 6x2 bogie to give double drive !!! yep they tried it. Honestly, dont shout at me, they did try it.
The tyre companies loved it ha !! Harvey

steelboyf10:
ThAt worked well…not

Not wrong definitely Silcocks

My recollection of Silcock and Collins was very much Ford contracted, tho’ the pic shows a load of Hillman Avengers, so Rootes as well, then Tolemans appeared at Dagenham so I guess Silcock and Collins got swallowed up by them. A Hoynor trailer, no top deck safety rails only car door handles to hang onto dropping the top deck sent the front end quite a bit off terra firma
Great thread, remember a lot of the names that crop up on here.
Oily

Paul Gee L0709p.JPG

HRS:

6x2 tag was normal in Sweden for many years but they could not get thier head arround 8x4 ( why, when we have 30 ton 6x4 ) so they allowed Irvine, Scotland to set up and make 8x4 (30 ton ).
Import long 6x4 and add the second steer. drag link etc, so this was also done with, as you say, a few 6x2 tags.
Volvo do not allways get it right ( not just the 290) but here is my attempt to show there “Robson Drive”, a blind man could see it had no future. Who can remember it ■■?
The sprocket would come down between the 6x2 bogie to give double drive !!! yep they tried it. Honestly, dont shout at me, they did try it.
The tyre companies loved it ha !! Harvey

There’s nothing past tense about Robson drive.

newsmedia.terberggroup.com/en/te … an-noyens/

Chris Webb:

Thanks for your comments Chris ! :smiley:

atlas man:
Is the car transporter from Silcock and Collins I think that was there colour scheme

That name rings a bell “atlas man” ! :smiley:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

Cheers Graham,thanks for your comments. :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
I reckon Chris will like this one ! Marathon P & O.
Very smart, thank you! :wink:

:laughing:

Chris Webb:
Yes they did run some Marathons Graham,they had quite a big fleet as well. They took over Talbot Transport and Rivelin Valley Transport over the years. I remember late 60s four of their drivers went to Liverpool Docks and couldn’t get tipped that day. They all parked on Arthur’s Café on the East Lancs and went home to Sheffield in a tractor unit and back over next day to get back int queue. Owt were better than Arden House Bootle where the “look after yer lorry mister” brigade were ever present. :angry: :angry: :angry: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I remember someone i knew parking in Glasgow somewhere and he never paid the kids to look after
the truck. When he got back to the truck they had poured sugar in the diesel tank. :unamused: :cry:

adie5:

Thanks for explaining that shot Adie ! :laughing: :wink:

bubbleman:

Cheers Bubbs, nice pic chap ! :laughing: :wink:

steelboyf10:
ThAt worked well…not

Think you are right mate as “atlas man” said the same company ! :wink:

smallcoal:
Hi dean the sharples I think is George they ran old trucks that 8 wheeler was pretty new cheers John

Cheers John, if you remember i put an article on about Sharples ! :wink:

Mark R:
Great pictures today, nice to see the Edward’s Seddon Atkinson and interesting to read the article about Goodiers. What ever happened to them?

Cheers Mark,i dont know anything about Goodiers,maybe someone else knows there history ■■? :unamused:

HRS:
Earls Transport Volvo F86. Dont remember seeing many 8 wheelers with a rear lift ? There were thousands of six wheelers fitted with rear lift.
The sprocket would come down between the 6x2 bogie to give double drive !!! yep they tried it. Honestly, dont shout at me, they did try it.The tyre companies loved it ha !! Harvey

Thanks for your input Harvey ! :wink:

Spud1960:

steelboyf10:
ThAt worked well…not

Not wrong definitely Silcocks

Cheers “Spud1960” :smiley:

oiltreader:
My recollection of Silcock and Collins was very much Ford contracted, tho’ the pic shows a load of Hillman Avengers, so Rootes as well, then Tolemans appeared at Dagenham so I guess Silcock and Collins got swallowed up by them. A Hoynor trailer, no top deck safety rails only car door handles to hang onto dropping the top deck sent the front end quite a bit off terra firma
Great thread, remember a lot of the names that crop up on here.
Oily

Thanks for your input Oily ! :wink:

Wim Vos UK F88

A02275.JPG

Anyone recognise the F86 ■■?

A02259.JPG

Northrose Scania

A02260.JPG

Wm Morgan & Sons Transcon.

A02261.JPG

Bramber DAF

A02262.JPG