DEANB:
Sid Knowles Bedford draw-bar.

Truck in service.

Long Distance Diary.

:smiley:

bubbleman:

DEANB:
One for Bubb’s Western Transport ! :wink:

Great shot Dean,Heres a pic of the same lorry which hung on the office wall so not one of my pics…Thanks for putting it on,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Nice pic Bubbs ! :laughing: :wink:

Chris Webb:
Sun Valley F10

Sun Valley used to load out of Wincanton Maltby odd times,usually for Asda Bristol,as well as calling in to refuel when they had collected clean trays. They used underslung fridges and many times drivers used to come to me and say “fridge int chilling”. The reason was that as well as starting engine you also had to start the compressor,there were no instructions to do this on engine side. Here’s a photo,not mine though.

Thanks for the pic and comments Chris ! :wink:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:
Sun Valley F10

We had some of those underslung fridge units at Turners, a total nightmare of a setup, always giving problems. It’s got me all agitated just thinking about them. :cry: :cry:

Thanks for your input Graham ! :smiley:

Chris Webb:
Yes Graham they were.Occasionally they would drop one and take one of our pre loaded Wincanton trailers.I used to VOR their shed straightaway and keep it back for preloading for them to take back.If you didn’t do that it could go anywhere in our system and cause nowt but bloody trouble. :imp:

:unamused: :laughing:

moomooland:
We ran under-slung fridges for years at Sainsbury’s with no problems whatsoever, probably down to having them serviced on a regular basis.

Nice pic Paul,thanks for your comments ! :wink:

beaver 680:

pete 359:
hi DEANB,
congratulations on the 100 page milestone.i have and still do enjoy every single one of them.This BOC image you shared might have been a welsh motor? member and good friend BEAVER680,would know.Tony,it could even be you driving?
regards andrew.

Hi Andrew no its not me ,it is loaded with acetylene so it could be from cardiff branch we only had one SA 400 at margam and that was a sleeper cab used for liquid argon on continental work.I did drive this 401 it was our scond 401 after the fodens regards tony.

Nice pic Beaver,thanks for the comment ! :smiley:

Chris Webb:
Paul,it wasn’t so much the reliability,it was the fact that drivers would fire them up but not turn compressor on.Engine would run ok but no chilling or freezing.In spite of notices put up on how to use them drivers still came in the yard complaining about non-chilling.
That’s why I got rid as soon as possible,we didn’t want any rejections due to high temps.

:unamused: :laughing:

gingerfold:
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the maintenance systems and 'fridge bay mechanics we had, and have, at Turners, so please don’t insinuate otherwise Paul.As you know, Turners have had a long association with Sainsbury’s, going back over 60 years, and Sainsbury’s are very choosy who its primary hauliers are. They were just bad 'fridges and spent a lot of time off the road waiting for parts. I recall that they were trailers T821 to T825 inclusive. We never had any more after those 5.

I dont think Paul was saying that Graham ! :wink:

Dieseldog66:
Re; the Lathams Atkinson wagon & drag on page 94, that, was driven by Alf Fletcher from Preston but based at Coventry after he moved down, had the pleasure of working with him at Cartransport (BRS) Coventry in 1990, he was the nightman then ferrying out of the Jag back to Rowley Road, but the Atki was long gone by then.

Thanks for the comments “Dieseldog66” :smiley: :wink:

Chris Webb:
MFS had all their fridges converted to underslung by Petters at Dunstable and they were a success
from day one,on the Littlewoods contract,they were quieter and ideal for very early morning store deliveries. I can’t remember who made the underslung ones that were fitted to the Sun Valley trailers. As far as maintenance was concerned,Wincanton were very fussy about regular servicing so that wasn’t an issue.

Thanks Chris ! :wink:

Thinking about them it was mainly compressor issues IIRC, they just couldn’t maintain the required temperature on a frozen load, -18 degrees C back then, so they would never have coped with the -23 degrees C required nowadays. They were quiet running though, I’ll grant you that. I think that they were Carrier units, but I wouldn’t swear to it.

Georgeson Atkinson.

A01787.JPG

Worldwide tankers ERF

A01786.JPG

Is the Seddon Sunblest ■■?

A01788.JPG

OBC Commer.

A01790.JPG

A.M.Garage Seddon Atkinson.

A01792.JPG

Ackworth Crusader. Tilcon Foden .

L0456p.JPG

G.L.Baker Guy

L0459p.JPG

Clan Scania 111

L0461p.JPG

Edwards of Hull Crusader.

L0462p.JPG

Rathbone ERF

L0522p.JPG

DEANB:

gingerfold:
Salford Van hire Bedford.

I had one of these off SVH at Mothers Pride Bakery Chesterfield in 1978 / 79 for a few months when I had additional inter-bakery trunking to cover. One of the nightly runs was to Gateshead and Newcastle, but my drivers preferred the newest Ford D Series we had, an R reg, over the Bedford, but then again the Ford had been fitted with a coach ratio diff for the A1. Nothing much passed that Ford at night on the A1.

Sounds like a flyer with the coach diff ! :smiley:

Yes it was DEAN, it would do north of 70 mph, but when it came new it only did about 48 mph, so after its first trip and the driver complained, the garage manager, Dennis Sheppard (one of the old school of mechanics), and I took it out to verify what the driver had said. Dennis said it was no good like that, or words to that effect, marked up a rear tyre and worked out the diff ratio from a full revolution of the wheel compared with revolutions of the prop shaft. He then got in touch with the local Ford dealership saying that a tipper diff had been fitted and demanding the correct ratio we had ordered. All they had in stock on the shelf was a new coach ratio diff, so he fitted that. We never ran at full 16 tons GVW with bread, a full load of 4,860 large sliced with trays and racks weighed about 6 tons, total gross weight about 13 tons, so it was comfortable even with its high gearing. It was a good lorry that Ford, never gave a minutes trouble.

A01788.JPGRemember Sunblest used to run fleets of these ‘three penny bit’ motors all over the place.

Leyland FG 550 Sunblest bread vans

beaver 680:

pete 359:
hi DEANB,
congratulations on the 100 page milestone.i have and still do enjoy every single one of them.This BOC image you shared might have been a welsh motor? member and good friend BEAVER680,would know.Tony,it could even be you driving?
regards andrew.

Hi Andrew no its not me ,it is loaded with acetylene so it could be from cardiff branch we only had one SA 400 at margam and that was a sleeper cab used for liquid argon on continental work.I did drive this 401 it was our scond 401 after the fodens regards tony.

Hi Tony,
Thank you for that mate.
Regards andrew.

beaver 680:

pete 359:
hi DEANB,
regards andrew.

Hi Tony,
Thank you for that mate.
Regards andrew.

Ive just come across this Walker Steel Atki on the net Im sure someone will have some info on it

atki.jpg

Ive just come across this Walker Steel Atki on the net Im sure someone will have some info on it

atki.jpg

Clan scania.JPG

I used to pull for Clan when I was an o/d in the 90’s. They were based in Dover, but owned by Scotsman John Clark - still going today, but now owned by Fullers from Slough. They had some good export work when I was there, and imho were a decent & honest company to work for. As an o/d, I was treated as one of their own - not like some firms treat their subbies!

ramone:

What’s with the double posts this evening :confused: :confused:

The walkersteel Atki picture and info appeared HERE on page 61 last September.

buitelaar scania.JPG

Not sure if this is the same Buitelaar’s who owned & operated abattoirs in the UK, and were big beef exporters - anyone? Might be a bit heavy on the front end this one perhaps…

gingerfold:
Yes it was DEAN, it would do north of 70 mph, but when it came new it only did about 48 mph, so after its first trip and the driver complained, the garage manager, Dennis Sheppard (one of the old school of mechanics), and I took it out to verify what the driver had said. Dennis said it was no good like that, or words to that effect, marked up a rear tyre and worked out the diff ratio from a full revolution of the wheel compared with revolutions of the prop shaft. He then got in touch with the local Ford dealership saying that a tipper diff had been fitted and demanding the correct ratio we had ordered. All they had in stock on the shelf was a new coach ratio diff, so he fitted that. We never ran at full 16 tons GVW with bread, a full load of 4,860 large sliced with trays and racks weighed about 6 tons, total gross weight about 13 tons, so it was comfortable even with its high gearing. It was a good lorry that Ford, never gave a minutes trouble.

Happy days Graham ! :wink:

moomooland:
Remember Sunblest used to run fleets of these ‘three penny bit’ motors all over the place.

Leyland FG 550 Sunblest bread vans

Remember them vans as a kid ! :laughing: Found this old pic,the quality of some of the paper/adverts back in
the 70s was not very good,some are so dark.

ramone:

I might be wrong but i think we may have had a Walker steel on here earlier in the thread ■■ Could be
wrong but i tink Paul put something on ■■ :unamused:

I used to pull for Clan when I was an o/d in the 90’s. They were based in Dover, but owned by Scotsman John Clark - still going today, but now owned by Fullers from Slough. They had some good export work when I was there, and imho were a decent & honest company to work for. As an o/d, I was treated as one of their own - not like some firms treat their subbies!
[/quote]
Thanks for your comment “kmills” looked like Clan had a good fleet if that pic is anyting to go by ! :wink:

moomooland:

ramone:

What’s with the double posts this evening :confused: :confused: Yes bit strange ■■ :unamused:

The walkersteel Atki picture and info appeared HERE on page 61 last September.

Well done Paul i thought you had put something on chap ! :laughing: :wink:

kmills:

Not sure if this is the same Buitelaar’s who owned & operated abattoirs in the UK, and were big beef exporters - anyone? Might be a bit heavy on the front end this one perhaps…

Hopefully someone will know,but that seems possible. The dutch have always run tidy motors ! :laughing:

A.Wall transport Marathon.

A01808.JPG

Frikus ■■ Mercedes. Something does not look right with that twin steer Merc,does that look like a
factory built one ? Or would it be a conversion,does any one know ■■?

A01794.JPG

Springfield Transport DAF

A01793.JPG

Peter Downing,Scania bulk powder tanker.

A01784.JPG

Thos Simms ERF

A01806.JPG

moomooland:
1Remember Sunblest used to run fleets of these ‘three penny bit’ motors all over the place.

0Leyland FG 550 Sunblest bread vans

I remember going to look at a couple of ex-Sunblest Atkis in Manchester in 1984, an immaculate Mk.1 with a 150 Gardner, and a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Borderer, both in bright yellow. In the end, I bought the View-Line instead :slight_smile:

Jaguar,Rover,Triumph Marathon.

A01758.JPG

Ocean Foods Mercedes.

A01809.JPG

Seddon Atkinson cattle box.

A01810.JPG

G.R.Davis Commer. First truck i ever went in as a kid ! :laughing: :laughing:

A01827.JPG

F.C.Brooks & Sons Seddon Atkinson from Wales.

A01844.JPG

240 Gardner:

moomooland:
1Remember Sunblest used to run fleets of these ‘three penny bit’ motors all over the place.

0Leyland FG 550 Sunblest bread vans

I remember going to look at a couple of ex-Sunblest Atkis in Manchester in 1984, an immaculate Mk.1 with a 150 Gardner, and a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Borderer, both in bright yellow. In the end, I bought the View-Line instead :slight_smile:

Play the game Chris,wheres the pics ■■? :unamused: :wink: