PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Thanks for the gen Kev, I knew they were from up your way but was a bit hazy on the history. Cheers Dennis.

artic monkey:

bubbleman:
Hi Dean,another bunch of superb pics ,really liked the Wilson F88,heres a cutting of its sister motor,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Good pic “artic monkey” thanks for posting ! :smiley:

kevmac47:
Churchfields dairy from Salisbury.

[/quote]
Chuchfields, a regular delivery with bottles when I worked for Onward. Salisbury is a nightmare to negotiate with a high load, weight limits and bridge heights lovely!!! I wonder how the satnav brigade cope with it? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.
[/quote]

You should try Romsey down the road as well Kev theres a few low bridges there ! :wink:

revman:
Anyone recognise the Maggie ■■?that Maggie looks very much like an owner driver that did South Wales to Stocksbridge or Tinsley Park (porcupine on the CB) every day,we usually passed each other around Alrewas A38 ( big Sis gaff) I heard he had a bad accident at Stocksbridge,running into one of Thorpes trailers cheers Alan

Cheers for the comment Alan ! :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
100 pages already? Well done, Dean, keep 'em coming!

Try to “ROF” :smiley: :wink:

HRS:
Hi Dean, yep, you are right about the Atki I thought was meachers, Have a look at page 423 of the "Long lost southampton hauliers thread, you will see why I came to that conclusion.
Harvey.

Too many companies to try and remember them all Harvey ! Thanks for your comments ! :laughing: :wink:

robthedog:

HRS:

DEANB:
Anyone recognise this tired looking Atkinson ■■?

This old motor would have belonged to Meachers transport, Southampton. Still going strong to day using MAN since the demise of ERF and thier dealership ( KL Commercials) Harvey

No Mans HRS they run IVECO, Mercs Scania & Volvo now

Cheers Rob ! :wink:

robthedog:

robthedog:
Says Churchfields on the trailer of the GUY ■■

Would that be Churchfields dairies Salisbury ?

I’m a bit late ive just seen the replies :blush:

:unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Bewick:
Anyone recognise the Marathon ■■?

The trailer coupled to the Marathon is a Target and it was supposed to be a revolutionary design at the time as IIRC those deep side raves were actually the chassis rails, it never caught on and as it was built in the N. East I believe that is where the main of them were sold. I think Larry would be able to explain better than me and IIRC Fergusons of Blythe ran some but I will stand being corrected on that ! Cheers Dennis.

Thanks for the comments Dennis ! :wink:

kevmac47:

Bewick:

The trailer coupled to the Marathon is a Target and it was supposed to be a revolutionary design at the time as IIRC those deep side raves were actually the chassis rails, it never caught on and as it was built in the N. East I believe that is where the main of them were sold. I think Larry would be able to explain better than me and IIRC Fergusons of Blythe ran some but I will stand being corrected on that ! Cheers Dennis.

Those Target trailers were built in Blyth, your correct Dennis, Fergy’s ran quite a few of them. From what I remember they were a total pile of excreta!!! I think Van Hee also ran some, the chassis rails were on the outer edges of the trailer, they were not very stable and they flexed a lot when cornering. Also, sheeting them was apparently a bit of a nightmare due again to the chassis rails being on the outside. Fortunately I never had the dubious pleasure of having anything to do with them. Regards Kev.
[/quote]
Thanks for the input Kev ! :smiley:

Bewick:
Thanks for the gen Kev, I knew they were from up your way but was a bit hazy on the history. Cheers Dennis.

:smiley: :wink:

ARC Scammell Routeman.

A02777.JPG

Click on pages twice to view.

M.J.Pope Transport Bedford.

A01755.JPG

Carnation GUY

A01756.JPG

BOC Seddon Atkinson.

A01750.JPG

Anyone recognise the Transcontinental ■■? Is that Ford’s factory colours ■■ Could be a demonstrator ■■

A01742.JPG

Tideswell’s ERF,nice colour scheme.

A01713.JPG

Anyone recognise the F12 ■■?

A01764.JPG

Coombes Transport ERF

A01722.JPG

Moxon Transport’s Saviem.

A01725.JPG

Waters Seddon Atkinson.

A01735.JPG

Tom Hughes Transport Transcontinental.

image.jpeg

Chris Webb:
Anyone recognise the Marathon tanker ■■?

Eyup Chris,aye I forgot about Leathers Chemicals,you will be right pal. :sunglasses:
[/quote]
Eyup Chris u awreet Pal?
[/quote]

[/quote]
I’m alrayt me owd thanks,what about thisen? :grimacing:
[/quote]
Aye bin not so good for a couple of mnths but I think am on"t mend?

Good to read the article about short distance tipper work, not often that ‘we tipper lads’ get mentioned in the press apart from when a cyclist gets splattered. Hard graft a lot of it, and for little reward as the rates are fixed, but it is usually the lads who only go off road to turn into a laybye that the trucking press concentrate on, not those who helped construct the roads in the first place! Rant over!!!:evil:

Pete.

Flat top F12 hub reduction quite rare only made them for 12 months :astonished:

DEANB:

Carnation GUY

BOC Seddon Atkinson.

Anyone recognise the Transcontinental ■■? Is that Ford’s factory colours ■■ Could be a demonstrator ■■

The shot of the Carnation Big J was a Caledonian contract motor and it looks to be loaded with tinplate from S. Wales. There was four main contractors who ran out of Dumfries and each had a few motors in Carnation livery. The contractors were, Caledonian, T C Brown, Inter City and Robsons. I became a good friend of the Carnation Distribution Manager, the late Len Pavey at the time Nestles bought Carnation Foods worldwide over £3 Billion in late 84. Their UK head office was in Marlow where they employed 300 people. Nestles closed this office and IIRC only 30 Carnation staff were transferred to the Nestle HO at St. Georges House Croydon where I met Len in early '85. I had never reckoned much to the Nestle Distribution management but once Len Pavey got involved matters soon improved and eventually we ended up with 75% of the out going traffic from the Libby factory in Milnthorpe. I know Len is no longer with us but I recall him telling me if we had got to know one another during his Carnation days he would have had Bewick motors into Carnation at Dumfries. :smiley: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

DEANB:

Carnation GUY

BOC Seddon Atkinson.

chment=1]A01742.JPG[/attachment]

The shot of the Carnation Big J was a Caledonian contract motor and it looks to be loaded with tinplate from S. Wales. There was four main contractors who ran out of Dumfries and each had a few motors in Carnation livery. The contractors were, Caledonian, T C Brown, Inter City and Robsons. I became a good friend of the Carnation Distribution Manager, the late Len Pavey at the time Nestles bought Carnation Foods worldwide over £3 Billion in late 84. Their UK head office was in Marlow where they employed 300 people. Nestles closed this office and IIRC only 30 Carnation staff were transferred to the Nestle HO at St. Georges House Croydon where I met Len in early '85. I had never reckoned much to the Nestle Distribution management but once Len Pavey got involved matters soon improved and eventually we ended up with 75% of the out going traffic from the Libby factory in Milnthorpe. I know Len is no longer with us but I recall him telling me if we had got to know one another during his Carnation days he would have had Bewick motors into Carnation at Dumfries. :smiley: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Waughs were also a Carnation haulier, we did all the storage and distribution in Northeast England, we had two fourwheelers permanently on Carnation distribution. When Alcan started supplying Ali billets to Sanquhar it was a regular day job for us. Far better than tipping steel anywhere in the Glasgow area and backloading from any of the Steelworks in the vicinity. You could grow old waiting to load at Gartcosh or Coatbridge. Regards Kev.

Once went to Carnation Milk in Dumfries, with glass bottles, is the factory still there? Just about remember where it was? Over a railway bridge? Then it was on the left coming from the M6?

windrush:
Good to read the article about short distance tipper work, not often that ‘we tipper lads’ get mentioned in the press apart from when a cyclist gets splattered. Hard graft a lot of it, and for little reward as the rates are fixed, but it is usually the lads who only go off road to turn into a laybye that the trucking press concentrate on, not those who helped construct the roads in the first place! Rant over!!!:evil:

Pete.

Thanks for your comments Pete ! :wink:

Lance Biscomb:
Flat top F12 hub reduction quite rare only made them for 12 months :astonished:

Thanks for your input Lance. :smiley:

Bewick:
Carnation GUY

Thanks for your comments Dennis. :wink:

kevmac47:
Waughs were also a Carnation haulier, we did all the storage and distribution in Northeast England, we had two fourwheelers permanently on Carnation distribution. When Alcan started supplying Ali billets to Sanquhar it was a regular day job for us. Far better than tipping steel anywhere in the Glasgow area and backloading from any of the Steelworks in the vicinity. You could grow old waiting to load at Gartcosh or Coatbridge. Regards Kev.

Thanks Kev for the information. :smiley: :wink:

tarmactipper:
Once went to Carnation Milk in Dumfries, with glass bottles, is the factory still there? Just about remember where it was? Over a railway bridge? Then it was on the left coming from the M6?

:unamused: Someone will hopefully know “tarmactipper” ■■ :wink:

Irish companies.

W.Duke & Sons Volvos.

McGeown Volvo f88

Hughes Transport Scania 142

Lagan Scania 143

Noel Zwecker 143

REA Transport F88

Carna Scania 142

J.A.Millar Scania 141

Ulster Meats Scania 111

Buchan Meats F88

Buchan meats top scotch dean

hi DEANB,
congratulations on the 100 page milestone.i have and still do enjoy every single one of them.This BOC image you shared might have been a welsh motor? member and good friend BEAVER680,would know.Tony,it could even be you driving?
regards andrew.

A01750.JPG

Hi Dean, Thank you for your reply. Just had a look at the pictures of lorries from Northern Ireland.
These pictures are McMullan Transport from Ballymoney, Co.Antrim, at their Wigan Depot, 2009.
Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Smashing pic and article of the ARC Routemans Deano. :sunglasses:

Here’s a few back atcha :smiling_imp:

Found a pic of an A-series on a T-plate ('78/'79)! Robert

I wonder if this article by Peter J Davies will help some of you out there regarding the ERF cab designs.

Click on any page twice to view full size fine in detail…

Also take a look HERE at the history of ERF.

moomooland:
I wonder if this article by Peter J Davies will help some of you out there regarding the ERF cab designs.

Click on any page twice to view full size fine in detail…

Also take a look HERE at the history of ERF.

That’s a very useful reference indeed! Thanks for posting it ‘Moomooland’.

(As it includes a reference to the NGC, perhaps you won’t mind if I repost the scans on the ERF 1975 thread :wink: !).

Robert