PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Bewick:

DEANB:
One for “Bewick” :wink:

Millican’s from Longtown.

Aye when I were a Lad growing up in Kendal Jos.Millicans used to be always running down through town loaded with Pulp wood from the Kielder forrest to Bowaters Ellesmere port. They ran a lot of Albion Reivers in those far off days. Cheers Bewick.

From Sandysyke near Longtown,regular sight ont M6 int olden days. :laughing:

DEANB:
Edwards of Hull Seddon Atkinson.

Anyone recognise the Broderer ■■

Merc 1617 ,anyone recognise it ■■

Looks like an owner driver at Poole. ■■

Bourne Steel’s Foden at Poole.

Leyland Comet tow truck

Albion box van.

Bedford TM,looks like its parked beind the barclays building in Poole.

Elliotts of Poole/Bournemouth.

Broke the Euroking Saviem.

I think the Borderer artic tanker is one of Industrial Fuels Transportation from Cardiff.

Eurohaul was a Southampton firm and a lot of there work was low loader and heavy wide loads so maybe it was a box for chains & sad’s some one will know for sure, the Volvo tractor looks like a heavy haul model anyway, Buzzer

2017-06-29 16.24.25.jpg

DEANB:
Some pics.

Sun Valley Volvo F88

Tarmac Volvo F86

Trent Wharfage Maggie bulker.

Anyone recognise the DAF 2800 tanker ■■?

Hogg DAF tanker

Jeffery’s Foden tipper

Smart 111 Scania of Cannon’s

Foden of Trevor G Phillips.

Alice Archer & Sons ERF

D.P. Williams & Son Seddon Atkinson 400 bulker.

I’ll hazard a guess and say the DAF tanker is one of Marshalls from Brigg Road Scunthorpe… :confused:

coomsey:

moomooland:
1Cracking shot of the Kaye Goodfellow S70.
Based in Manchester they operated three of them.
Foden only built 17 of these S70 twin-steer ‘Chinese Six’ tractor units in the early 1970’s.
They were powered by Gardner 8LXB-240 straight eight engines in line with Foden 12-speed gearboxes.

Don’t suppose you know who had the S70s moomooland I only ask cos in my head Redland Mountsorrel ran some but with so few beginning to doubt. N while I’m at it would they have been one of the first 240s?

Samuel Banners tankers in Liverpool ran one coomsey.I remember sitting in it one day at Stanlow and thinking it were bigger than our front room at home. :grimacing:

moomooland:
1Anyone remember the Finneys DAF that was outside the house at the junction of the A577 Sale Lane and Wellington Drive in Tyldesley it was there for years until it rotted away.

Click here >> for Google Street View of were it was parked up for years.

Photograph courtesy of Robert Cheetham.

I remember being int Glen Hotel at Chapelhall Airdrie one night with a load of Spalding Haulage trunk drivers and one J and C Finney old style trunker.One of Spalding lads were bragging he’d done Chapelhall-Spalding in 5 and quarter hours empty one night in his Swede.At that moment Finney’s day man pulled up outside in ERF “A” series with 180,so towd night lad knocked his pipe out,picked his case up and said “Aye,I had a wagon like that and got rid of it”. :grimacing:

DEANB:
Some pics.

J & A Sutherland Foden. Trailer looks a bit odd ■■?

Pauls ERF bulker. Marina,Beetle,maybe Datsun at the back ?

Findus Volvo F10

Anyone recognise the MAN bulker ■■? Cant make the name out on headboard ?

Looks like Thompson Davis & Co ■■ on DAF

AEC breakdown truck. Whats the truck being towed ■■

Stirk MAN bulker.

Berliet looks like some sort of council truck which seems an odd make to have back then ?

Edwin C Farrell Mercedes.

Anyone recognie the Bedford,cant make name out on door ■■? Looks similar to Smith & Robinson possibly ■■

The Bedford artic tanker looks like one of Campbell Technical Waxes and Smith and Robinson did contract for them.

Chris Webb:

John West:

Buzzer:
The blue F88 which I think was a 230 engine belonged to Ian Lawson, not sure if he bought that new but he replaced it with an F12 1980 vintage which Ian is still driving today and I saw him this week on the M27 with a 20ft container. Last time I spoke to him about two years ago he was tipping in a cold store next door to our yard and I asked how much he would sell it for and he said he had offers exceeding £25.000 any time he wanted to part with it, not completely original as it has an updated cab but never the less still working and looking the part even today. Think Ian is well into his 70’s now so must be one off the oldest OD’s still working and I think the finance is paid of on the truck, cheers Buzzer.

I drove a 230 silver grill on overland for Douglas Freight, an Isle of Man company - the registration IM something - caused me trouble at some borders ‘is nix English number, you must pay extra tax!’

This was me outside our Jeddah agent - Al Addas’s office. Please excuse the pose and the flares!

This is the cover from some stories I wrote and the truck can be seen crossing H4 on my website, courtesy of Bjorn Jensen. What I’m coming to longwindedly, is that the L registration F88, appears to have the wipers suspended from above the windscreen. I thought by then they had seen the error of their ways! Not sure what year my F88 was, certainly not new, I had it in 1976, but the wipers are at the bottom of the screen.

This was a massive bugbear of my early truck driving- I cannot tell you how much it annoyed me on the Leyland and the BMC to watch the wiper scoop up the rain, only to let it run down the screen in front of you, as the wiper completed its journey back down, ready to gather up all the new and the old rain again.

Did the designers never drive the bl**** things■■?

John.

Hi John.
If it was registered in Isle of Man it would be either MAN or more likely MN,not IM.

Chris

Hi Chris,

It must have been MN, it wasn’t MAN. Here’s a picure of the beast on H4, but you can’t read the number! I found the video on youtube (thank you Bjorn Jensen) when I noticed a remark on a comment where the picture itself had disappeared, ‘Some belly tank on that Douglas Motor.’

It used to get me down on red and back on Saudi fuel in the days before they stopped it.

douglas1-1024x724.png

John.

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
MAN

A couple of Borderers ,looks like different companies.

Plain Foden tipper.

Thyssen ERF

F86 8 wheeler

Guy Big J

ERF not alot on some of these trucks to identify the haulier.

F86 tanker

Another 86 tanker,dont know if the same company as above ?

Leyland ,looks like John James.

Looks like the first F86 artic tanker is one of LPGs,I think it’s the BSC Chemicals logo ont cab,so would have worked out of Orgreave Sheffield.The second F86 is one of John Foreman’s,maybe from Saltend,Hull.

Could be Chris, but one thing’s for sure if there’s an LPG and Foremans tanker together they’ll be making for Woodside Cafe

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Volvo F86 of Pennine Haulage

Anyone recognise the DAF

A E Evans Marathon tanker.

Mortons BRS Dodge

Thos W Ward Dodge.

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson.

John Bevan DAF

T E Masters Roman.

Murray’s Marathon.

Glyn Rowell DAF loaded with 2 steel coils,trailer has a nice bend in it !

The A E Evans Marathon was mine,PCL 553R, fleet 238, based at Sheffield. Fame at last. :smiley:

After all these years, Chris!!

Chris Webb:

moomooland:
1Anyone remember the Finneys DAF that was outside the house at the junction of the A577 Sale Lane and Wellington Drive in Tyldesley it was there for years until it rotted away.

I remember being int Glen Hotel at Chapelhall Airdrie one night with a load of Spalding Haulage trunk drivers and one J and C Finney old style trunker.One of Spalding lads were bragging he’d done Chapelhall-Spalding in 5 and quarter hours empty one night in his Swede.At that moment Finney’s day man pulled up outside in ERF “A” series with 180,so towd night lad knocked his pipe out,picked his case up and said “Aye,I had a wagon like that and got rid of it”. :grimacing:

Class!!

Buzzer:
Eurohaul was a Southampton firm and a lot of there work was low loader and heavy wide loads so maybe it was a box for chains & sad’s some one will know for sure, the Volvo tractor looks like a heavy haul model anyway, Buzzer

Hi John, I think you are right about a chain box, however due to the small tanks on the 6x4 we sometimes fitted custom built extra fuel tanks, could never stop them leaking eventually due to chassis movement.
But as you say some one will know for sure. Harvey

Chris Webb:

coomsey:

moomooland:
Foden only built 17 of these S70 twin-steer ‘Chinese Six’ tractor units in the early 1970’s.
They were powered by Gardner 8LXB-240 straight eight engines in line with Foden 12-speed gearboxes.

Don’t suppose you know who had the S70s moomooland I only ask cos in my head Redland Mountsorrel ran some but with so few beginning to doubt. N while I’m at it would they have been one of the first 240s?

Samuel Banners tankers in Liverpool ran one coomsey.I remember sitting in it one day at Stanlow and thinking it were bigger than our front room at home. :grimacing:

Never got to sit in one but still think they stood well

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Thanks for the pictures people are popping on which are good for the thread,and also gives Paul something to look at as he has obviously
seen all of his own pics !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Some pics.

Harris transport.

Direct transport Crusader.

DCL Yeast F88

Guy,cant make out the name looks like M.D ■■?

Wrights Borderer.

WH Grose F10

Kaye Goodfellow crane.

R & M Transport DAF

ERF bulk tipper. Anyone recognise it ■■?

OTA french DAF. They were a big old company back then used to send loads through Poole.

The Guy 6-legger is one of Mason Brothers,Wilton Gardens,Rotherham.

Thanks for all of your comments “Chris Webb” on the different photos ! :wink: :smiley:

pete smith:
Tony Ruby based in Willenhall and later in Darlaston, ceased trading now, the Maggie would have been supplied by E.H Lee in Essington, Pete
ps. Dean those containers may be bolted to chassis and unloaded by a grab or magnet?

True Pete i suppose they could be bolted to the trailer ! :unamused:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

ramone:
The H.Bakers Mammoth Minor gave problems , apparently it threw flames from the exhaust according to one of their drivers who is sadly no longer with us. It went back to Tillotsons in Bradford but they couldn`t cure it. The 4 x 2 Mandator loading bales was eventually sold to B.Holmes waste paper in Bradford and my dad drove it . By this time it was 10 years old and past its best , it was a regular over the M62 running at full weight to Ramsbottom

The idea was brilliant “ramone” and on the face of it was economical just using the fron’t end( and one drive axle) of an MM but in practice the engine and its ancillary equipment sunk it ! Plus British Leyland were arrogant [zb] so they got “theirs” and were wiped out by a combination of Atkis, ERF’s and the Scandinavians ! eventually the Scandinavians came out on top , unfortunately, but that is life and business ! Cheers Dennis.

A E Evans ran a Mammoth Minor XBY 508G ex Thomas Allen. I drove it a couple of times and never had a problem with it.I can’t remember what the regular driver,Ken Snell,thought of it though,it was nearly 40 years ago. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Thought you’d pop up again Webbo once the HMRC Inspectors left the island after their recent purge ! So where did you go into hiding then ? Smokey Joe’s in Morecambe ? it’s a decent pint if I recall ! Cheers Dennis.

:laughing: :laughing:

Buzzer:

That would explain it Buzzer,a tool box if normally pulling a low loader ! :wink: :smiley:

John West:

Chris Webb:

John West:

Buzzer:
The blue F88 which I think was a 230 engine belonged to Ian Lawson, not sure if he bought that new but he replaced it with an F12 1980 vintage which Ian is still driving today and I saw him this week on the M27 with a 20ft container. Last time I spoke to him about two years ago he was tipping in a cold store next door to our yard and I asked how much he would sell it for and he said he had offers exceeding £25.000 any time he wanted to part with it, not completely original as it has an updated cab but never the less still working and looking the part even today. Think Ian is well into his 70’s now so must be one off the oldest OD’s still working and I think the finance is paid of on the truck, cheers Buzzer.

I drove a 230 silver grill on overland for Douglas Freight, an Isle of Man company - the registration IM something - caused me trouble at some borders ‘is nix English number, you must pay extra tax!’

This was me outside our Jeddah agent - Al Addas’s office. Please excuse the pose and the flares!

This is the cover from some stories I wrote and the truck can be seen crossing H4 on my website, courtesy of Bjorn Jensen. What I’m coming to longwindedly, is that the L registration F88, appears to have the wipers suspended from above the windscreen. I thought by then they had seen the error of their ways! Not sure what year my F88 was, certainly not new, I had it in 1976, but the wipers are at the bottom of the screen.

This was a massive bugbear of my early truck driving- I cannot tell you how much it annoyed me on the Leyland and the BMC to watch the wiper scoop up the rain, only to let it run down the screen in front of you, as the wiper completed its journey back down, ready to gather up all the new and the old rain again.

Did the designers never drive the bl**** things■■?

John.

Hi John.
If it was registered in Isle of Man it would be either MAN or more likely MN,not IM.

Chris

Hi Chris,

It must have been MN, it wasn’t MAN. Here’s a picure of the beast on H4, but you can’t read the number! I found the video on youtube (thank you Bjorn Jensen) when I noticed a remark on a comment where the picture itself had disappeared, ‘Some belly tank on that Douglas Motor.’

It used to get me down on red and back on Saudi fuel in the days before they stopped it.

John.

Thanks for your comments John ! :smiley:

Spud1960:

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
MAN

A couple of Borderers ,looks like different companies.

Plain Foden tipper.

Thyssen ERF

F86 8 wheeler

Guy Big J

ERF not alot on some of these trucks to identify the haulier.

F86 tanker

Another 86 tanker,dont know if the same company as above ?

Leyland ,looks like John James.

Looks like the first F86 artic tanker is one of LPGs,I think it’s the BSC Chemicals logo ont cab,so would have worked out of Orgreave Sheffield.The second F86 is one of John Foreman’s,maybe from Saltend,Hull.

Could be Chris, but one thing’s for sure if there’s an LPG and Foremans tanker together they’ll be making for Woodside Cafe

:laughing:

240 Gardner:

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Volvo F86 of Pennine Haulage

Anyone recognise the DAF

A E Evans Marathon tanker.

Mortons BRS Dodge

Thos W Ward Dodge.

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson.

John Bevan DAF

T E Masters Roman.

Murray’s Marathon.

Glyn Rowell DAF loaded with 2 steel coils,trailer has a nice bend in it !

The A E Evans Marathon was mine,PCL 553R, fleet 238, based at Sheffield. Fame at last. :smiley:

After all these years, Chris!!

240 Gardner:

Chris Webb:

moomooland:

Class!!

HRS:

Buzzer:

Hi John, I think you are right about a chain box, however due to the small tanks on the 6x4 we sometimes fitted custom built extra fuel tanks, could never stop them leaking eventually due to chassis movement.
But as you say some one will know for sure. Harvey

Looks like a tool box Harvey ! :wink:

coomsey:

Chris Webb:

coomsey:

moomooland:

Never got to sit in one but still think they stood well

Cheers coomsey ! :smiley:

Foreign F88

2017-06-30 13.41.58.jpg

Qualcast’s tidy Defender.

2017-06-30 13.38.03.jpg

Kingsley Lloyd DAF 2800

2017-06-30 13.40.09.jpg

Who’s tidy outfit does the ERF belong to ■■?

2017-06-30 13.44.05.jpg

SPP DAF low loader.

2017-06-30 13.45.35.jpg

NH Neale & Son F10 Volvo

2017-06-30 13.47.03.jpg

Another one of Morfa’s Seddon Atkinson.

2017-06-30 13.48.35.jpg

B Partridge ERF

2017-06-30 13.50.58.jpg

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■?

2017-06-30 14.22.04.jpg

British Steel Maraton giving a Crusader a lift.

2017-06-30 14.24.48.jpg

There were plenty of Foden S60 cabbed twin steer units around though, same cab but made of steel. Tilcon had at least one and that had the 8LXB fitted. Maybe the ‘plastic’ version wasn’t a good seller if only 17 were produced?

Pete.

An article from 1989.

Click on pages twice to read.

An article about hauliers from ■■■■■■■■

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:
Qualcast’s tidy Defender.

Atkinson 8x4 Flat Lnn122P 2013 034 by frank hilton, on Flickr

Atkinson Defender LNN 122P by Keith Ashe, on Flickr

DEANB:
Tidy MAN of H.Brown & Son.

Hazelwood haualge DAF 2800

A & C Sowell Borderer.

Anyone recognise the Volvo F86 bulker ■■?

Tidy Seddon Atkinson of Brian Gorton.

Beresford ERF

Road Ferry Seddon.

Anyone recognise the ERF ■■? Somebody Evans on the sheet ■■

Joseph Holloway Seddon Atkinson

Gibbon’s ERF

Dean, I would happily pay you or Paul for a hi res copy of the Gibbons.
Cheers
Sean