PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Spud1960:

roverrob1974:

Spud1960:

roverrob1974:
Hi Paul Gee have you anymore j Whartons borderer pics? And any other of there lorries? The one shown must hav been repainted following a bump or damage the colours arnt quite right, the fleet number is missing and the bumpers have been painted in blue instead of black , here’s one I made earlier!0

Hi roverrob1974

Did you come across a fellow by the name of Dent?

Colin dent?

Stephen, I believe he worked at Whartons

I have a Facebook page Whartons grove wharf memories few x whartons guys on there if your interested

DEANB:
Volvo F86 of Pennine Haulage

Anyone recognise the DAF

A E Evans Marathon tanker.

Mortons BRS Dodge

Thos W Ward Dodge.

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson.

John Bevan DAF

T E Masters Roman.

Murray’s Marathon.

Glyn Rowell DAF loaded with 2 steel coils,trailer has a nice bend in it !

The A E Evans Marathon was mine,PCL 553R, fleet 238, based at Sheffield. Fame at last. :smiley:

kevmac47:

Bewick:
The article about the Borderer also mentioned the name of Dennis Kulak, now what this chap didn’t know about ■■■■■■■ engines could be written on the back of a stamp, I kid you not ! I first came across him when he worked at the George Service Garage at Crick, he “tuned up” my ■■■■■■■ V8 in the D1000 then later on he did similar work on a couple of our Atki 220’s. He was also a very decent guy to talk to and couldn’t be more helpful. Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, I remember the “engine whisperer” at the George Garage, I couldn’t remember his surname until you posted it. He was definitely a “magician” with a ■■■■■■■ engine. I was always a lover of the marque, I asked him if I could buy a cast badge for the radiator as it only had one of the tin type fitted, they didn’t have one in stock but, he took my name and address and sent me one free of charge, I was delighted!!! I seem to recall he was an American, is that correct? Regards Kev. Happy Days. :smiley: :smiley:

Hiya Kev, IIRC he was Canadian and you have just reminded my with regard to those “proper” ■■■■■■■ badges as he gave me one so I had one on the D1000 front grille strip and I fixed one on the near side rear light bracket ! I’ll dig out a couple of shots of the D1000 ! Aye happy days Cheers Dennis.

DEANB:
AGB Stainless Roman truck.

Anyone recognise the Volvo F86 ■■?

B.J.Waters Defender.

AE Evans Maraton.

Denesloes Marathon.

Pandoro ERF

Ruff’s ERF

Entress Volvo F86

Borderer of Econofreight.

Elliotts from Poole,Borderer.

I’m doing well,that’s the second photo of my A E Evans Marathon posted on here. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

moomooland:

lespullan:
L P G Batley, logo on door a bit vague.

1 Think your right Les LPG Transport from Batley Yorkshire looks like it had been sold on when the picture was taken.
0Photograph courtesy of Leslie Wilson.

It could possibly be one working out of BSC Chemicals Orgreave Sheffield,on tar products.

Bloody hell chris , where’s tha been youth , it’s ages since I saw one of your posts on here. Has the neet out money finally run out ? Dave

rigsby:
Bloody hell chris , where’s tha been youth , it’s ages since I saw one of your posts on here. Has the neet out money finally run out ? Dave

:laughing: I daren’t tell thi where I’ve been Dave,Dennis would give me a rayt telling off. :grimacing:
I was told there were two photos of my Marathon in Paul’s collection so had to have look,sure enough, both mine.
All t’dodgy neet out money has gone pal,living hand to mouth int Isle of Man…

Chris Webb:

rigsby:

:laughing: I daren’t tell thi where I’ve been Dave,Dennis would give me a rayt telling off. :grimacing:
I was told there were two photos of my Marathon in Paul’s collection so had to have look,sure enough, both mine.

Aye it’s a hard life for a poverty stricken pensioner these days , I’m slumming it in an owd Lexus hybrid , can’t afford owt fancier and the wife’s cut me spends again . Keeping an eye on Sheffield though , grandson lives on Worksop road up near Manor Top . Dave

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
J Wharton’s Borderer.

One just like this currently under restoration, lots of photos on Facebook of it, but not sure of its reg. Nearly finished, I think, as the signwriting has been done

Nice,when you hear one is being restored,fair play to the people that do this. :smiley:

Bewick:

DEANB:
Lucas Girling Transcon.

Chrysler Dodge.

Silk’s Transport tidy ERF.

Bennett F10,looks fairly new.

Roger Dyson Volvo F88

Sellers & Kent tidy Foden.

John Raymond smart Borderer.

CPC ERF tanker.

AA Griggs & Co F86

I Swindells & Son Ltd MAN.

The sheeting on the Griggs F86 is a “fine example” and the reason why we gained a nice bit of regular reload traffic back to the North West from a cardboard box maker based in St. Ives Cambridgeshire. We started to deliver 24 ton loads of Liner board from East Lancs mill in Radcliffe and one day we got a call from this customer asking if they could reload our artic that had just tipped with an urgent load for the North west as their regular Haulier ( A.A. Griggs) had let them down which apparently was a regular occurrence we were told ! So as St. Ives was sort of “in the middle of no where” and the rate we quoted was acceptable we jumped at the chance ! This turned out to be a nice little source of back traffic 2 or 3 times a week ! The despatch manager really appreciated the service we gave them but the only draw back was they were a wholly owned subsidiary of David S. Smith and A.A. Griggs were also a wholly owned subsidiary of DSS and here was the “fly in the ointment” as all DSS Group haulage had to be invoiced through AA Griggs :frowning: and unfortunately we couldn’t invoice the Customer direct ! and once we got well under way hauling the traffic it became a source of aggro to Griggs who continually pressed to undertake the work after having given their sister co. lousy service previously ! The management of the Box maker would have given us more traffic if we wanted it but what we did was a nice balance but we sure did outclass Griggs at the time ! :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Thanks for the intresting recollection of your day to day work Dennis ! :wink: :smiley:

kevmac47:

Bewick:
The article about the Borderer also mentioned the name of Dennis Kulak, now what this chap didn’t know about ■■■■■■■ engines could be written on the back of a stamp, I kid you not ! I first came across him when he worked at the George Service Garage at Crick, he “tuned up” my ■■■■■■■ V8 in the D1000 then later on he did similar work on a couple of our Atki 220’s. He was also a very decent guy to talk to and couldn’t be more helpful. Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, I remember the “engine whisperer” at the George Garage, I couldn’t remember his surname until you posted it. He was definitely a “magician” with a ■■■■■■■ engine. I was always a lover of the marque, I asked him if I could buy a cast badge for the radiator as it only had one of the tin type fitted, they didn’t have one in stock but, he took my name and address and sent me one free of charge, I was delighted!!! I seem to recall he was an American, is that correct? Regards Kev. Happy Days. :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for your comments Kev. :smiley:

malc step:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
A & C Sowell Borderer.
[/quote
ermmm… :blush:[/quote

A & C Nowell from Austwick on A65 !!

Cheers Malc.

Thanks Malc ! :wink:

roverrob1974:
Hi DeanB
have you anymore j Whartons borderer pics? And any other of there lorries? The one shown must hav been repainted following a bump or damage the colours arnt quite right, the fleet number is missing and the bumpers have been painted in blue instead of black , here’s one I made earlier! Ps can I use your pic?

A new member ! :laughing: Thanks for your comments ! I dont know if any of there pics have already been
posted as i can’t remember,just too many companies. Dont think there are any more in this batch of pics
but could be some in the future. Yes you can use the pic on your site but you must leave the copyright
in place. Can you leave a link on here to the site,as Paul will want to have a look. :wink:

Spud1960:

roverrob1974:
Hi Paul Gee have you anymore j Whartons borderer pics? And any other of there lorries? The one shown must hav been repainted following a bump or damage the colours arnt quite right, the fleet number is missing and the bumpers have been painted in blue instead of black , here’s one I made earlier!0

Hi roverrob1974

roverrob1974:
Colin dent?

roverrob1974:

Spud1960:

roverrob1974:

Hi roverrob1974

Colin dent?

blue estate:

roverrob1974:
Colin dent?

No Arthur Dent [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Spud1960:

roverrob1974:

Hi roverrob1974

Colin dent?
[/quote]
[/quote]

roverrob1974:

roverrob1974:

Hi roverrob1974

Colin dent?
[/quote]
[/quote]
I have a Facebook page Whartons grove wharf memories few x whartons guys on there if your interested
[/quote]

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Volvo F86 of Pennine Haulage

Anyone recognise the DAF

A E Evans Marathon tanker.

Mortons BRS Dodge

Thos W Ward Dodge.

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson.

John Bevan DAF

T E Masters Roman.

Murray’s Marathon.

Glyn Rowell DAF loaded with 2 steel coils,trailer has a nice bend in it !

The A E Evans Marathon was mine,PCL 553R, fleet 238, based at Sheffield. Fame at last. :smiley:

Nice when a members truck appears on here theres been a few now ! :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

kevmac47:

Bewick:

Hiya Kev, IIRC he was Canadian and you have just reminded my with regard to those “proper” ■■■■■■■ badges as he gave me one so I had one on the D1000 front grille strip and I fixed one on the near side rear light bracket ! I’ll dig out a couple of shots of the D1000 ! Aye happy days Cheers Dennis.

Thanks for your input Dennis ! :wink:

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
AGB Stainless Roman truck.

Anyone recognise the Volvo F86 ■■?

B.J.Waters Defender.

AE Evans Maraton.

Denesloes Marathon.

Pandoro ERF

Ruff’s ERF

Entress Volvo F86

Borderer of Econofreight.

Elliotts from Poole,Borderer.

I’m doing well,that’s the second photo of my A E Evans Marathon posted on here. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :wink:

Chris Webb:

moomooland:

lespullan:
L P G Batley, logo on door a bit vague.

1 Think your right Les LPG Transport from Batley Yorkshire looks like it had been sold on when the picture was taken.
0Photograph courtesy of Leslie Wilson.

It could possibly be one working out of BSC Chemicals Orgreave Sheffield,on tar products.

Thanks for your comment Chris ! :smiley:

rigsby:

:smiley:

Chris Webb:

rigsby:

:laughing:

rigsby:

Chris Webb:

rigsby:

Aye it’s a hard life for a poverty stricken pensioner these days , I’m slumming it in an owd Lexus hybrid , can’t afford owt fancier and the wife’s cut me spends again . Keeping an eye on Sheffield though , grandson lives on Worksop road up near Manor Top . Dave

:smiley:

Eurohaul Volvo,i assume thats just a storage box behind the cab ? Unless someone knows different ■■

2017-06-29 16.24.25.jpg

Richard Hampton ERF

2017-06-29 17.28.50.jpg

Hercock Simpson Bedford TM

2017-06-29 17.31.22.jpg

Pickford’s mighty contractor.

2017-06-29 17.34.22.jpg

K & L Haulage ERF

2017-06-29 17.36.34.jpg

WM H Short Maggie with single axle trailer,so must have carried light loads.

2017-06-30 13.26.50.jpg

Anyone recognise the DAF drawbar ■■?

2017-06-30 13.30.50.jpg

J.Sykes ERF from Manchester. Paul popped some info on about this company when we posted a pic of
one of there rigids.

2017-06-30 13.32.34.jpg

A Ruby Maggie. Now i blew this pic up and apart from a couple of ropes above the trailer wheels
i could not see alot holding this load on the trailer ■■? :open_mouth: :unamused:

2017-06-30 13.34.31.jpg

Anyone recognise the ERF ■■?

2017-06-30 13.36.00.jpg

Some period adverts. Tippers.

Click on pages twice to read.

ad cm  1973 aug hoveringham merc.jpg

Always looked very dodgy these ones where one axle comes off the ground !

DEANB:
Thanks for the pictures people are popping on which are good for the thread,and also gives Paul something to look at as he has obviously
seen all of his own pics !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Some pics.

Harris transport.

Direct transport Crusader.

DCL Yeast F88

Guy,cant make out the name looks like M.D ■■?

Wrights Borderer.

WH Grose F10

Kaye Goodfellow crane.

R & M Transport DAF

ERF bulk tipper. Anyone recognise it ■■?

OTA french DAF. They were a big old company back then used to send loads through Poole.

The Guy 6-legger is one of Mason Brothers,Wilton Gardens,Rotherham.

Tony Ruby based in Willenhall and later in Darlaston, ceased trading now, the Maggie would have been supplied by E.H Lee in Essington, Pete
ps. Dean those containers may be bolted to chassis and unloaded by a grab or magnet?

2017-06-30 13.34.31.jpg

Punchy Dan:
Great seddon Atkis loaded with coke probably from bedwas at that time ,come on Pete smith who’s is the artic ? I think I know . Funny how 8 wheeler axle spacings are the opersite way now compared to the waters one .

When I worked for A E Evans we would load crude benzene out of Bedwas,amongst other coking plants.The loading point was down a steep hill,just enough room for one wagon and was controlled by a bloke with a green and red flag. :open_mouth:
When yer AEC MK3 Mammoth Major was loaded it was 1. Engage crawler. 2.Wait for green flag.3.Boot down,up the hill to the weighbridge.This would be late 60s/early 70s.

DEANB:
MAN

A couple of Borderers ,looks like different companies.

Plain Foden tipper.

Thyssen ERF

F86 8 wheeler

Guy Big J

ERF not alot on some of these trucks to identify the haulier.

F86 tanker

Another 86 tanker,dont know if the same company as above ?

Leyland ,looks like John James.

Looks like the first F86 artic tanker is one of LPGs,I think it’s the BSC Chemicals logo ont cab,so would have worked out of Orgreave Sheffield.The second F86 is one of John Foreman’s,maybe from Saltend,Hull.

Bewick:

ramone:
The H.Bakers Mammoth Minor gave problems , apparently it threw flames from the exhaust according to one of their drivers who is sadly no longer with us. It went back to Tillotsons in Bradford but they couldn`t cure it. The 4 x 2 Mandator loading bales was eventually sold to B.Holmes waste paper in Bradford and my dad drove it . By this time it was 10 years old and past its best , it was a regular over the M62 running at full weight to Ramsbottom

The idea was brilliant “ramone” and on the face of it was economical just using the fron’t end( and one drive axle) of an MM but in practice the engine and its ancillary equipment sunk it ! Plus British Leyland were arrogant [zb] so they got “theirs” and were wiped out by a combination of Atkis, ERF’s and the Scandinavians ! eventually the Scandinavians came out on top , unfortunately, but that is life and business ! Cheers Dennis.

A E Evans ran a Mammoth Minor XBY 508G ex Thomas Allen. I drove it a couple of times and never had a problem with it.I can’t remember what the regular driver,Ken Snell,thought of it though,it was nearly 40 years ago. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

ramone:
The H.Bakers Mammoth Minor gave problems , apparently it threw flames from the exhaust according to one of their drivers who is sadly no longer with us. It went back to Tillotsons in Bradford but they couldn`t cure it. The 4 x 2 Mandator loading bales was eventually sold to B.Holmes waste paper in Bradford and my dad drove it . By this time it was 10 years old and past its best , it was a regular over the M62 running at full weight to Ramsbottom

The idea was brilliant “ramone” and on the face of it was economical just using the fron’t end( and one drive axle) of an MM but in practice the engine and its ancillary equipment sunk it ! Plus British Leyland were arrogant [zb] so they got “theirs” and were wiped out by a combination of Atkis, ERF’s and the Scandinavians ! eventually the Scandinavians came out on top , unfortunately, but that is life and business ! Cheers Dennis.

A E Evans ran a Mammoth Minor XBY 508G ex Thomas Allen. I drove it a couple of times and never had a problem with it.I can’t remember what the regular driver,Ken Snell,thought of it though,it was nearly 40 years ago. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Thought you’d pop up again Webbo once the HMRC Inspectors left the island after their recent purge ! So where did you go into hiding then ? Smokey Joe’s in Morecambe ? it’s a decent pint if I recall ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

ramone:

Thought you’d pop up again Webbo once the HMRC Inspectors left the island after their recent purge ! So where did you go into hiding then ? Smokey Joe’s in Morecambe ? it’s a decent pint if I recall ! Cheers Dennis.

:smiley: Just called in to view the two photos of my Marathon taken by Paul somewhere around Ross about 1976/77.
I’ve paid my taxes to the Ellan Vannin government by the way so the idea of me being a tax exile is not on,hiding from HMRC was not necessary either,I’ve spent all my dodgy night out money…
Also have you heard that there is an Isle of Man “help for Morecambe” scheme,whereby the IOMSP ro-ro Ben My Chree delivers firewood into Heysham to see you poor Lancashire west coast individuals through the winter.All courtesy of the residents of the Isle of Man… :laughing:
Just thought I’d mention it,like. :grimacing:
Anyroad,got to go,got t’kids to bath.

John West:

Buzzer:
The blue F88 which I think was a 230 engine belonged to Ian Lawson, not sure if he bought that new but he replaced it with an F12 1980 vintage which Ian is still driving today and I saw him this week on the M27 with a 20ft container. Last time I spoke to him about two years ago he was tipping in a cold store next door to our yard and I asked how much he would sell it for and he said he had offers exceeding £25.000 any time he wanted to part with it, not completely original as it has an updated cab but never the less still working and looking the part even today. Think Ian is well into his 70’s now so must be one off the oldest OD’s still working and I think the finance is paid of on the truck, cheers Buzzer.

I drove a 230 silver grill on overland for Douglas Freight, an Isle of Man company - the registration IM something - caused me trouble at some borders ‘is nix English number, you must pay extra tax!’

This was me outside our Jeddah agent - Al Addas’s office. Please excuse the pose and the flares!

This is the cover from some stories I wrote and the truck can be seen crossing H4 on my website, courtesy of Bjorn Jensen. What I’m coming to longwindedly, is that the L registration F88, appears to have the wipers suspended from above the windscreen. I thought by then they had seen the error of their ways! Not sure what year my F88 was, certainly not new, I had it in 1976, but the wipers are at the bottom of the screen.

This was a massive bugbear of my early truck driving- I cannot tell you how much it annoyed me on the Leyland and the BMC to watch the wiper scoop up the rain, only to let it run down the screen in front of you, as the wiper completed its journey back down, ready to gather up all the new and the old rain again.

Did the designers never drive the bl**** things■■?

John.

Hi John.
If it was registered in Isle of Man it would be either MAN or more likely MN,not IM.

Chris

DEANB:
Todays pics.

Lagan F88. The Irish had some cracking looking motors !

William Rowe & Sons,Borderer.

B.S. Haulage Foden

Leyland Marathon of Vita Meald.

Wrights van transport.F86

Leyland Octupus,anyone recognise it ■■

Anyone recognise the colour scheme on the Bedford TM ■■?

Eric Vick ERF

Dukes F88 .They were a big old outfit,now gone !

Gillards Saviem. Is this the same Gillards that used to pull alot of concrete beams from Burrowbridge ■■?

The Bedford TM is in Cadbury’s livery IIRC.