Paul B

How are you coping down near Sheffield? Was wondering all last week…Hope you’re ok.?

thanks for asking we’re fine thanks, luckily we live in a spot that dosn’t see any flooding other side of the hill from catcliffe and the worst hit areas. work wise it’s wiped it out as far as rotherham and any thing out of attercliffe end is concerned but i’ve been doing regular cardiffs from humberside so not so bad for me.
what gets me and a lot of locals is, although the rainfall has set new records etc and was possibly unforseeable a lot of the worst areas were always liable to flood, catcliffe thats been on the telly was a water meadow before they built that estate, laughton which is the next village to us has recently had a big new estate built, again on land that was always wet due to being very near to the water table, it even had a big natuaral pond bang in the midle of it so no surprise to anyone who lives nearby that all those new houses ended up under water, surely the local planning departments have to take a lot of the blame for some of these poor peoples plight? and of coarse any houses on estates that flooded this time round will be virtually impossible to insure or sell, the water may have gone but the problems will last for a long time for some.
what they never mentioned on the box when they were showing all those pictures of ulley res being pumped out was that the thousands of gallons of water they were shifting was ending up in the river don, down stream is doncaster two days later large areas of dony are flooded!

ABS & Truswells were running down to Wolverhampton today, and there were blooms going up to Stocksbridge last Thursday. There’s extra work out of OutoKumpu because I believe the rail lines were flooded so Thorpes were running slabs over to Immingham… it’s an ill wind…

was told aldwalk flooded out shutting the rolling mill down?

I suppose it depends how much “stock” they have in the racks, but have seen them out and about. Forgemasters furnaces were re-lit by Friday, but don’t really nkow what’s up at Corus. If the rail lines are out there will be a fair hang-over of work from there so that could make up for short term production stoppage.

Spotted you today on the M5 Paul, wasn’t sure at first, then spotted Paul B*** on the door, looked as though you were running back home.

Theres been no rolling at Stocksbridge since the middle of last week as the mills been under 3 foot of water, they had to close the soaking pits down too, the blooms or ingots were used to form a dam at the side of the river for last weekends supposed downpour :slight_smile:

Big Joe:
Spotted you today on the M5 Paul, wasn’t sure at first, then spotted Paul B*** on the door, looked as though you were running back home.

red actros, low loader carrying machinary, i bet thats… by that time you’d gone.
doing it as a regular run at the mo, coils to cardiff and rebar back.

I’m really beginning to get a bit concerned over this unseasonal heavy rainfall and flooding of different areas over the last few years.

Its happened here, Thailand, & Philippines that i know of, and i’m sure many other countries also.

Flooding, landslides, deaths.

There is no doubt that the world’s weather patterns are changing.

Global warming caused by vehicle exhaust emissions? Bumcum!

Did nobody notice we’ve had 2 ice ages before and we’re not still in one… so its warmed up before, without any man made emissions. ok, we might accelerate it slightly.

If it takes 50 years to build a good ark, i think now is the time to start.

Any foresters and carpenters out there, come in please.

Driveroneuk:

Not trying to be too pedantic but I think you mean Bunkum - BUMCUM is something else I think! :open_mouth: :wink:

hammer:

Driveroneuk:

Not trying to be too pedantic but I think you mean Bunkum - BUMCUM is something else I think! :open_mouth: :wink:

well you’ve let us all know how your mind works hammer :unamused: :laughing: :open_mouth:

… but you knew what i meant.

(i knew it didn’t look right!)

Glad you survived relatively unscathed, Paul. We do a fair bit of work in Brightside/Attercliffe and have a lot of jobs which have been “off” since the floods, which is what set me wondering. Being Finnish, we also have a fair few dealings with Outukumpu, and are taking all their strip coils into Shepcote Lane right now as Fife Street was completely wiped out. :cry:

As for the flooding of villages along the Don and the theory that they were allowed to flood to save Doncaster itself, which was in turn sacrificed to save Sheffield from the Ulley Reservoir…Anyone remember the Selby flood? That was later admitted to have been allowed to happen in order to save York, so it wouldn’t be the first time… :wink:

We’re based up at the main site off Shepcote Lane, haven’t been to Lees place since they stopped rolling steel nearly 2 years ago. That and Stocksbridge used to be regular work until then. Anyway, we don’t need any more coils as they’re drowning in stock. :blush: Outokumpu were going to demolish the old plate mill, but as the building is so full of excess stock it has to stay. Salvesens bring Korean and Chinese steel in just to make sure there’s plenty to go round. :unamused:

i was offered a load out of outa kumpo for monday down to cardiff but the rate was a bit laughable, no doubt having passed through many hands first, wouldn’t mind getting in there direct, would be just handy for me so i’ll have to make some enquiries.

Paul you have pm.