Past work colleagues

if you are my age[52]or older has anyone of you like me ever think about work colleagues from years ago,i was thinking about the fellas I knew when I worked at fedex in the 80s in Croydon,i cant help thinking most if not all the blokes who helped me when I first passed my class 1 in 89 are either retired or passed away,two or three were in their late 40s/50s,they were the kind of blokes who helped me with invaluable advice after passing at age 26,[as well as a few wind ups as well,lol ] they were a good bunch and if still around would be around the late 60s /early 70s now,as well as others I knew from other jobs I had

I often think about past workmates too.
When I started work at 16 everybody was older than me.
Same when I started driving at 21.
In fact the more I think about it the more I’m convinced I’m
the only one still alive never mind still working. :open_mouth:

truckman020:
if you are my age[52]or older has anyone of you like me ever think about work colleagues from years ago,i was thinking about the fellas I knew when I worked at fedex in the 80s in Croydon,i cant help thinking most if not all the blokes who helped me when I first passed my class 1 in 89 are either retired or passed away,two or three were in their late 40s/50s,they were the kind of blokes who helped me with invaluable advice after passing at age 26,[as well as a few wind ups as well,lol ] they were a good bunch and if still around would be around the late 60s /early 70s now,as well as others I knew from other jobs I had

Yes,it’s an age thing I’ve noticed deeper and darker thoughts about the past who’s still about and who’s not,just growing old I suppose.

bobbya:

truckman020:

Yes,it’s an age thing I’ve noticed deeper and darker thoughts about the past who’s still about and who’s not,just growing old I suppose.

so true,agree 100%

axletramp:
I often think about past workmates too.
When I started work at 16 everybody was older than me.
Same when I started driving at 21.
In fact the more I think about it the more I’m convinced I’m
the only one still alive never mind still working. :open_mouth:

does make you think that way,im the same

Let`s have some names then, you never know they might even be on here. :sunglasses:

When I passed my class 1 in 1996 I was fortunate that there was a good bunch of drivers who had been around for many years that were always willing to help.
Peter Snitch ( old BRS man )
Trevor Wilson ex-owner driver iirc
Ray Randell and his brother Andy
Mick Wells
And many more to be honest as everyone tended to be very supportive, one thing they all said was you never stop learning and wasn’t that true!!

I passed my driving test in the army in the early '60’s when passing the test gave you a licence to drive anything, so over the years I have been able to claim grandfather rights on everything so I have never taken a driving test in a truck.
I made many friendships with some diamond geezers over the years, but now at 72 I look around and there’s not many of us left.
There are a handful, just, of mates I made while doing middle east, but majority of them didn’t make old bones, that I keep in contact with through this BB.
Times certainly have changed, from when you had the time to make friends and help other workmates along the way, now you don’t even have the time to have any mates, what’s the world come to?

Jakdaw:
Let`s have some names then, you never know they might even be on here. :sunglasses:

not sure about surnames but they were ricky,brian,george,gary

bestbooties:
I passed my driving test in the army in the early '60’s when passing the test gave you a licence to drive anything, so over the years I have been able to claim grandfather rights on everything so I have never taken a driving test in a truck.
I made many friendships with some diamond geezers over the years, but now at 72 I look around and there’s not many of us left.
There are a handful, just, of mates I made while doing middle east, but majority of them didn’t make old bones, that I keep in contact with through this BB.
Times certainly have changed, from when you had the time to make friends and help other workmates along the way, now you don’t even have the time to have any mates, what’s the world come to?

very true

I often think about where some of the lads of old might be now. Some still driving no doubt, be it truck, bus or taxiing, some moved on to much bigger and better while some no doubt are sadly no longer with us. Funny how, when you leave a place and despite promises to stay in touch you never do. However it was very strange to go in a Tesco Extra a couple of years ago to find a bloke I’d worked with years ago on the till.

aye when I started on the roads at 19 in 1979 I was the youngest by at least 20yrs ,some o them had been there before the war did their service and back .Had thought about this last year and asked my mother to ask about and it seems just one old worthie left now as well as myself,learned a lot about tippers, hauling tar etc and just getting on with it and sort out problems yourself., its times like this that you realise you are getting old. :cry: :neutral_face: