Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

robthedog:
Unusual bull bar on the old magnum

Hi Rob,
How are you mate.Dear god,that’s some distinctive metal work! Here’s where mine is right now.

617F7161-5096-45FF-BC4C-CD9E47A1847F.jpeg

coomsey:

oiltreader:
Thanks to pyewacket947v, DEANB and robthedog for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

A year or two ago and this fine wagon on it’s way to a second life with a fairground operator.

Now oily, she could turn a old man’s eyes :stuck_out_tongue:

HI Coomsey, do you remember this one?

Colin.

Belle Vale Service Station on Childwall Valley Road in Liverpool in the 1960s.
You could get 4 gallons of Shell Super, and receive some change from a pound
note, Nowadays, you cant even get a litre for a quid. :cry:

Ray.

Ray Smyth:

Ray.

That’s right Ray, and you had an attendant to pump it in for you. Those prices on the pumps seemed to be the same for years back then. Maybe we didn’t get the variations in crude oil prices then as we’ve had for the last 40 odd years.

Thanks to tyneside, pyewacket947v, pete 359, colinwallace1 and Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Snap at Lincoln 2013.

colinwallace1:

coomsey:

oiltreader:
Thanks to pyewacket947v, DEANB and robthedog for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

A year or two ago and this fine wagon on it’s way to a second life with a fairground operator.

Now oily, she could turn a old man’s eyes :stuck_out_tongue:

HI Coomsey, do you remember this one?0
Colin.

I should,Colin, with it being a skip n a hop up the road, but doesn’t ring any bells. Nice motor though,pull an house down likely, cheers Coomsey

7 May 1985
Alfreton Road
Lttle Eaton
Derbys, ENG.

A brace of ex Military Commer Superpoise 4x4s.

I can’t recall this yard at Little Eaton at all, yet I travelled the old A61 often enough in those days? :confused:

Pete.

Always top notch tidy trucks run by Geoff Gilbert, cheers Buzzer

107089038_3219363341464833_3043539523931830157_n (2).jpg

tyneside:
Line up of new Coles Cranes taken at the factory at Sunderland. I presume the ones with the T on the front are Thornycroft chassis but not sure what the other ones are, anybody any ideas??

Tyneside

Hi Tyneside, A.E.C.s Perhaps, Coles were a very popular crane lot, Sadley now long gone, I used to load from Leeds in the 60/70s Era, From Kirkstall Forge with axles on a regular basis when I drove for Shorties, The good old days in my book, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,Regards Larry.

An old Seddon on coal by the looks, Buzzer

tyneside:
Line up of new Coles Cranes taken at the factory at Sunderland. I presume the ones with the T on the front are Thornycroft chassis but not sure what the other ones are, anybody any ideas??

Tyneside

I’d suggest they may not be new, but factory reconditioned and civilianised ex WD. The Thornys are the wartime type used extensively by the RAF, hard to be sure even when the picture is blown up but the others look like the WW2 Leyland Retriever/Coles used by the military but with a more modern cab fitted, as they originally had an open top canvas roof. The front axle set right forward is a typical prewar/wartime feature, but the cabs look '50s style. As well as the Retriever, several other makers e.g Albion, Karrier built a light six-wheeler to the same WD spec, but AFAIK only the Leyland was supplied from new with a factory fitted Coles crane. EDIT - just found some info suggesting the same crane was fitted to Crossley and Austin chassis, the same light 6 wheel WD spec as the Retriever, the Austin was bonneted the others forward control.
Bernard

windrush:
I can’t recall this yard at Little Eaton at all, yet I travelled the old A61 often enough in those days? :confused:

Pete.

Not surprising Pete,it would be a Tesco’s now!

David

The cranes will be Thornycroft Amazons yorkshireairmuseum.org/exhibits … les-crane/

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.

Glad you posted that, Pete, 'cos I’ve been wracking my brain trying to work out where it was!

Steve

windrush:

Pete.

You used to be able to see it from the A38 heading North,Pete, Just after the roundabout where the A61 merged with
the A38… It was on the left hand side and you looked down onto the site as the A38 climbed.
The yard is long gone and the site as been a Garden Centre for many years now…
I cannot remember the name of the breakers, but some weeks i would look at it up to 6 times, and even at a distance
some of the vehicles where intriguing… At one point i was sure there was a large vehicle in there with twin side by side
radiators ,Then i took the opportunity to call in in 1985, went to the office and asked if it was ok to have a look round
and take some photos,Help yourself mate, aahh, them was the days, no hard hat, no hi viz vest, just common sense.

pyewacket947v:

windrush:

Pete.

You used to be able to see it from the A38 heading North,Pete, Just after the roundabout where the A61 merged with
the A38… It was on the left hand side and you looked down onto the site as the A38 climbed.
The yard is long gone and the site as been a Garden Centre for many years now…
I cannot remember the name of the breakers, but some weeks i would look at it up to 6 times, and even at a distance
some of the vehicles where intriguing… At one point i was sure there was a large vehicle in there with twin side by side
radiators ,Then i took the opportunity to call in in 1985, went to the office and asked if it was ok to have a look round
an :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: d take some photos,Help yourself mate, aahh, them was the days, no hard hat, no hi viz vest, just common sense.

Aye they were the good old days my friend, Common sence that we were taught as kids at school did us very well IMO, The only vest that I where these days is a STRING vest that I used to wear in those long gone happy days driving old motors & getting good wages, Not the same vest mind you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , My good Lady wouldnt allow that after 64 years of Marriage what chance have I got :question: , Im a very happy chappy & Im looking after her to the best of my abiltey , Rock on the recovery, Regards Larry.

pete 359:

robthedog:
Unusual bull bar on the old magnum

Hi Rob,
How are you mate.Dear god,that’s some distinctive metal work! Here’s where mine is right now.

Restoring a Magnum must be quite a big job! Especially concerning electrics, plastic inside parts, air conditioning, and plenty of other equipments! Certainly more complicated that a Mammoth Major Mk II.

Ray Smyth:

Ray.

And have it served by a man in a white coat,collar and tie,…and a flat cap :smiley:

Buzzer:
An old Seddon on coal by the looks, Buzzer

I did a fair few miles in that motor in the early 60’s. Fireclay from Leeds to Steel Company of Wales, Port Talbot
Fred Chappell Batley.
I never liked the motor (P6 Perkins), the engine had a nasty habit of running in reverse but, I was only a young fella learning the job and when Fred said GO…you went.
A return load of Phurnacite, always short weight at the delivery point, the ■■■■ stuff dried out on the way back to Yorkshire.
No motorway, the route was over The Brecon Beacons, Shrewsbury etc.