Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Thanks for the reply. Aye, I reckon it’s wartime with the headlight shrouds, and Vulcan was my best guess.
The radiator badge looks to be an oval with a curved laurel underneath, maybe some one knows who had this badge?
Regards John.

A very smart AEC Mandator from 1969. Pictures by Paul Stevens.

Mystery truck is a Guy Vix-Ant, I thought it looked like the military Guy Ant’s sheet metalwork and I was correct for once! Introduced in 1941 for civillian operators, scroll down this link

historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/ … story5.htm

Pete.

windrush:
Mystery truck is a Guy Vix-Ant, I thought it looked like the military Guy Ant’s sheet metalwork and I was correct for once! Introduced in 1941 for civillian operators, scroll down this link

Pete.

my first thought was Guy Ant, but the odd looking emblem made me doubt it,
The attached history of Guy motors is truly fascinating,
Birmingham City Transport made use of Guy Utility ‘Arabs’ during WW2 and a number where still in use in the
late 50s as Driver Instruction vehicles, I remember one ‘visiting’ Selly Oak Depot while i was a mechanic
there, if i remember correctly it had a ‘crash’ gear box and a second drivers position behind the cab,
I also visited Fallings Park on several occasions during the time i drove a couple of ‘Invincibles’ Mainly to
have shattered windscreens replaced… Sadly my memories of these motors are not happy , though to be fair to Guy
the specified lack of shock absorbers and a dead trailing axle for hauling limestone out of the Peak District did little
to give me reason to regard them with affection…

Few from a recent trip to the states Tyneside

P1000416 1.jpg

P1000368 1.jpg

P1000361 1.jpg

P1000359 1.jpg

P1000345 1.jpg

P1000343 2.jpg

pyewacket947v:

windrush:

Pete.

Birmingham City Transport made use of Guy Utility ‘Arabs’ during WW2 and a number where still in use in the
late 50s as Driver Instruction vehicles, I remember one ‘visiting’ Selly Oak Depot while i was a mechanic
there, if i remember correctly it had a ‘crash’ gear box and a second drivers position behind the cab,
I also visited Fallings Park on several occasions during the time i drove a couple of ‘Invincibles’ Mainly to
have shattered windscreens replaced… Sadly my memories of these motors are not happy , though to be fair to Guy
the specified lack of shock absorbers and a dead trailing axle for hauling limestone out of the Peak District did little

Thanks very much to both of you, another mystery solved.
Another disappointing , if not downright failure, of Guy Motors. was the Wulfrunian bus.

Regards John.

old 67:

pyewacket947v:

windrush:

Pete.

Thanks very much to both of you, another mystery solved.
Another disappointing , if not downright failure, of Guy Motors. was the Wulfrunian bus.

Regards John.

this is an Ant puchased after the war

Tony

scan322.jpg

Hi Tony Rastone,
Is this motor one of your sales? N.M.P

One for Oily,

92129351_1756029601204629_7931853926175866880_n.png

Thanks to ERF-NGC-European, gaza401, old 67, Ray Smyth, tyneside, rastone and pete smith for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and all the craic :smiley:
Oily
A66 Oct 2019.

pete smith:
One for Oily,

Ta for the photo Pete, A9 Perth, A96 Aberdeen, Inverness is so changed from then I’m not sure but most of that part was knocked down to build the “new” Eastgate shopping centre.
Cheers
Oily

My friend Peter Kenrick from Maghull on Merseyside, a transport enthusiast, and former fellow HGV driver,
is trying to locate some information and perhaps pictures of a company called Hadley & Cutts from Wolverhampton.
He has given me details of a lorry of the company, an AEC 8 Wheeler, Reg number GRE 547.
Peter can be contacted by email at peterk354@gmail,com

Regards, Ray Smyth.

One for you Oily …gleaned from a shipping site …

Anoher one of Jenkinson’s.

Jenkinson.jpg

Bulmers, Hereford, Buzzer

Buzzer:

What’s the story with the roping and sheeting there? Did Bulmers have ring bolts for the ropes, can’t see any crossing the rave to a hook. And if it is not finished, did they rope the first sheet before putting the front one on? The corner of that first sheet looks tensioned, but I can’t see to what, and the folded sheet on top appears to be roped for travelling in that position.

I really hope not, because if so, the driver is going to have need of all the revs to drag a great big balloon along. :open_mouth: :laughing:

The second flat looks the proper job, so making the first even more of a mystery. :confused:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

What’s the story with the roping and sheeting there? Did Bulmers have ring bolts for the ropes, can’t see any crossing the rave to a hook. And if it is not finished, did they rope the first sheet before putting the front one on? The corner of that first sheet looks tensioned, but I can’t see to what, and the folded sheet on top appears to be roped for travelling in that position.

I really hope not, because if so, the driver is going to have need of all the revs to drag a great big balloon along. :open_mouth: :laughing:

The second flat looks the proper job, so making the first even more of a mystery. :confused:

Having had a look again I think that the job of sheeting is not completed and what you think are ropes are maybe seems in the sheets themselves, blow the picture up and have another ganders at it, Buzzer

old 67:

pyewacket947v:

windrush:

historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/ … guyhistory

Regards John.

I remember the Wulfrunians very well. We had the West Riding ones regularly on our school run in the mid-sixties. West Riding had a large part in the development of the ‘Wulf’, and were the major operator. Even when relatively new, they had overheating and leakage problems with the Cave-Brown-Cave cooling system (radiators upstairs). Perhaps because of the engine being hung out forward of the front axle, they often got stuck on snowy hills which a Guy Arab or Leyland PD2 would climb with no problem. “All you kids, get to the back of the bus and jump up and down if you want to get up this hill” was often the conductors’ cry. The ride was more akin to a boat then a bus, rolling and pitching to the point of sickness for some passengers. With hindsight, the designers put too many new ideas into the same vehicle at once. Air suspension, independent front suspension, disc brakes, C-B-C cooling system were all under-developed in this country at the time, and contributed to the unreliability of this novel bus. In later years, the front rows of seats upstairs were barriered off to try to keep weight off the front axle. Maybe Guy could have made a better bus if the innovations had been introduced over two or three “marks” of the Wulfrunian.

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Having had a look again I think that the job of sheeting is not completed and what you think are ropes are maybe seems in the sheets themselves, blow the picture up and have another ganders at it, Buzzer

Yes I already have and still couldn’t be sure, but would they have seamed a crossover as well? Anyway it does seem as though they were using ringbolts rather than ropehooks, and what about the unused sheet on top apparently roped to travel? Very strange. :slight_smile:

Regarding the sheeting/roping of certain lorries can somebody explain please how Whitbread secured theirs as it doesn’t look as though the body sides drop down? Are there rings in the floor, there appears to be something below the floor where the straps are (or are they hinges?) and I have seen various pics of their Leylands and Fodens and all have the same type bodies. Not my pic but copied from the webb.

Pete.