Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

pyewacket947v:

5thwheel:
Apologies for photo quality.

Thanks to pyewacket947v for tidying up the picture.

David

Kwik Save had a distribution site at Bryn, near Wigan, just 5 minutes from M6 Junction 25. NMPs.

BMC FG Series cabs being built at the Bathgate factory in 1961. NMP.

BMC Cabs Bathgate 1961.jpg

5 May 1985
Himbleton, Worcs,Eng
YUY 139R, It took me a while to figure out what was missing from
this old AEC Matador. Of course i felt stupid when it clicked.
No lights,!!

FB_IMG_1582822961226.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Kwik Save had a distribution site at Bryn, near Wigan, just 5 minutes from M6 Junction 25. NMPs.

I used to load supermarket trolleys from there and take refurbished ones back from Monton. Couldn’t keep the ■■■■ things tight!

coomsey:

Brings back many memories of handballed asphalt blocks from Matlock. Hard work but not much roping and sheeting involved :wink: :laughing:

Thanks to coomsey, pyewacket947v, Buzzer and Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Highland Haulage then and yesterday.

5 May 1985
Another out of use motor in Himbleton, Worcs, Eng
Though this Thames 4D van, 528 CPK , looks as if it
still as some life left in it,Who knows,?

Oily, heres one from the Isle of Skye.

Ewen Macrae’s Volvo F7.

ewen.PNG

Asphalt block job many tried few succeeded

Couple of oldies

4378FC8D-3B3D-4F2A-A1F6-C114792E8440.jpeg

D71555FD-CFEC-49C7-9110-6DBF82EBB932.jpeg

pyewacket947v:
5 May 1985

I once ‘ventilated’ the engine block on a 4D, con rod came through both sides, Cooper Bridge, Mirfield. To this day nobody knows the cause, the oil and water levels were ok, it wasn’t getting thrashed, but a rod made a break for freedom and it succeeded.

grumpy old man:

pyewacket947v:
5 May 1985

I once ‘ventilated’ the engine block on a 4D, con rod came through both sides, Cooper Bridge, Mirfield. To this day nobody knows the cause, the oil and water levels were ok, it wasn’t getting thrashed, but a rod made a break for freedom and it succeeded.

That happened to many engines, Bedford 330 engined TK’s were excellent at doing that and we had several Gardner 6LXC’s that chucked a leg out of bed for no apparent reason. One 6LXB powered Foden S83 we had did it while reversing it into the garage for a slight engine knock, our TM was standing with me watching it and suddenly the engine ‘coughed’ and the gudgeon pin from number 2 piston rolled out under the front bumper! “Is that expensive?” the TM asked me. “Well not actually that part, but repairing where it came from will cost a bit” was my reply! :laughing:

Pete.

few from F/B North East related Tyneside

Sunderland flood1.jpg

Ford Anglia1.jpg

Baxter1.jpg

Hi “tyneside”, Thanks for posting these great old pictures, Baxters wagon & Drag. The old chap on the back got this WTN 58 new, It was run solo for a short while then the Dyson drawbar came along It had a Gardner 5 LW. and a 5 speed David Brown Gearbox, its top speed 32 mph. I started at Baxters in 1956. I was second man with Tommy Nixon the main driver, I got to drive it Solo when the first new 8 wheeler Atkinson came PGR 251, I then got a new Atkinson 4 wheeler TBR 997, Old Baxter was a great bloke to work for in those days, Regards Larry.

Cracking picture that Larry, even more so for having the driver with his wagon ! :smiley:
I’ve tried to tidy it up a bit, I hope you don’t mind.

Regards John. P.S. Click to enlarge.

DEANB:
Oily, heres one from the Isle of Skye.

Ewen Macrae’s Volvo F7.

Cheers Dean, an awkward load or have the elements got to it, looks like roof trusses and sundries on the top.
Oily

Thanks to pyewacket947v, DEANB, robthedog, tyneside, Lawrence Dunbar and old67 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and the craic :smiley: can’t beat the old B&W snaps.
Oily

A66 Oct 2019.

5 May 1985
Himbleton, Worcs, Eng.
Another fallen warrior.
LFD 698L, A Ergo cabbed tractor on blocks with a timber carrier,
It has the British Leyland badge under the screen.
After all this time i cannot recall whether i identified it as a
Leyland or AEC,? The fuel tank says ‘Leyland’ to me, but?