Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

What bout the last picture? It looks like an International Harvester, but with a very European cab.

rigsby:

grumpy old man:

rigsby:

Buzzer:
Who remembers the 1/3 pint bottles of milk at school, I can recall being milk monitor and stacking the bottles round the base of the coke heater in the classroom putting them through the guard rails ready for mid morning break :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer

I well remember those Buzzer , lovely with an apple for break although most of the straws got used as peashooters firing rice grains .

Milk ? who remembers a teaspoonful each of Ministry of Food cod liver oil (hell I hated it) and then a spoonful of concentrated orange juice

At risk of being called old Brian I can remember them well , I still shudder at the mention of cod liver oil , but the orange juice helped . I’m still a sprog though compared to you , lol.

A lot of kids didn’t like milk so I supped theirs,now I canna stand the stuff. They tried milk tablets in Derbyshire schools early 50s but soon went back to bottled milk.

Retired Old ■■■■:

grumpy old man:

rigsby:

Buzzer:
Who remembers the 1/3 pint bottles of milk at school, I can recall being milk monitor and stacking the bottles round the base of the coke heater in the classroom putting them through the guard rails ready for mid morning break :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer

I well remember those Buzzer , lovely with an apple for break although most of the straws got used as peashooters firing rice grains .

Milk ? who remembers a teaspoonful each of Ministry of Food cod liver oil (hell I hated it) and then a spoonful of concentrated orange juice

I was “treated” to a spoonful of Virol every morning! And who remembers National Dried Milk in silver tins with blue lettering?

And powdered egg. :stuck_out_tongue: Deep joy. :smiley:

Are you young uns listening? us old ‘road gladiators’ have been through hell and back. Mirrors on lorries? these days there’s more than you can count, in our day we had to make do with one mirror and one wiper. Heater in the lorry? army surplus greatcoat (or 2 in a bad winter), strewth today’s drivers don’t know they’re born

grumpy old man:
Are you young uns listening?[/] us old ‘road gladiators’ have been through hell and back. Mirrors on lorries? these days there’s more than you can count, in our day we had to make do with one mirror and one wiper. Heater in the lorry? army surplus greatcoat (or 2 in a bad winter), strewth today’s drivers don’t know they’re born
[/quote]
Listening? :open_mouth: You old lads never stop telling us about how hard things were back in the '40’s! Had all this from my old man when I started driving trucks, I used to tell him that he was also fortunate as the driver’s before him had to stoke up a boiler for two hours before doing a days work and then rake ashes out at the end of the day, that used to quieten him…until next time! :unamused:
Pete.

windrush:

grumpy old man:
Are you young uns listening?[/] us old ‘road gladiators’ have been through hell and back. Mirrors on lorries? these days there’s more than you can count, in our day we had to make do with one mirror and one wiper. Heater in the lorry? army surplus greatcoat (or 2 in a bad winter), strewth today’s drivers don’t know they’re born
[/quote]
Listening? :open_mouth: You old lads never stop telling us about how hard things were back in the '40’s! Had all this from my old man when I started driving trucks, I used to tell him that he was also fortunate as the driver’s before him had to stoke up a boiler for two hours before doing a days work and then rake ashes out at the end of the day, that used to quieten him…until next time! :unamused:
Pete.
[/quote]
Ah yes, but at least you could warm your hands on the fire during the day. But I reckon GOM must have had it easy, no flat cap. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Well this was what my good old Grandad drove, Plus I had many a ride on it when I was a kid, Regards Larry.

17 March 1985
Berry Hill Ind Est
Droitwich Spa, Worcs.
Looks like the local bandits have had a go at this imposing
London Brick Scammell Constructor.

backsplice:
2One of my old ones oily and a couple from my early days out here …found it in a file happy days

Cheers for the pics Robert :smiley: nice one, weather here in Ross-shire is a bit iffy but nothing compared to what you’ve been having in OZ.
Oily

Catching up with what’s going on(sputer to pieces and back again, no bits left over which is a good sign :laughing: , temp fix, see how it goes :unamused: ) anyway thanks to Buzzer, pyewacket947v, Ray Smyth, backsplice and Lawrence Dunbar for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
The short trouser day craic I remember well, dosed on a Fri night, cleaned out over the weekend ready for school on Monday, castor oil UGH horrible, syrup of figs not too bad and I seem to remember cascara being another innards flusher.
Oily
Can’t seem to load any pics at the moment :smiling_imp: .

A few from the Wear Tyneside

Doxford Marine Engine at Clyde Shipyard.jpg

A Swedish Catalina Flying Boat,River Wear 1947. Brought crew to collect new ship from Shorts.jpg

Few more from Wearside Tyneside

Sunderland Police Austin 1.jpg

Ford 300E 5cwt Van.jpg

CAB Mobile 1.jpg

One for Larry Dunbar. Reeds Cranes, Scotswood Rd Newcastle approx. 1957 Tyneside

Reeds Cranes.jpg

John Scott & Sons Newcastle. The policeman seems to have his notepad put but the driver isn,t bovvered !!! Tyneside

Both of these were taken at different angles and at different times at the Wheatsheaf Junction, one of the main crossroads in Sunderland. Tyneside

Wheatsheaf Sunderland {Police Box)1.jpg

Great old pics tyneside :smiley: thanks. The Ford 300E van, I had one of them in 1963, a green one.
Oily

From up north, pics not quite right, wee bit dumpy.

TKN Highland IMG_3206.jpg

Not sure what it is, some of you will know! In Canada about 20 years ago

The tractor is a peterbilt not exactly sure of the model…probably pulling a super B trailer,the company is westcan who has depots all over western canada I think their head office is in winnipeg,do all kinds of
bulk haulage…nick name is “the red army” . Many british born truckers have got their start with them. The location looks like golden british columbia but I m not certain on that. Wayne Robinson

26 March 1985
Alcester, Warks, Eng
JAP 854
a Unipower Hannibal 4x4
Operated by S E Davis of Astwood Bank,

Baileys from Westbury Wilts cheers Buzzer

84814719_2623233984627077_4046402836907425792_n.jpg

pyewacket947v:
17 March 1985
Berry Hill Ind Est
Droitwich Spa, Worcs.
Looks like the local bandits have had a go at this imposing
London Brick Scammell Constructor.

Cracking pics “pyewacket947v”. You certainly took some intresting photos. :wink: