Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

John West:

peterm:
I was on me way to Bristol from London early one morning, still dark… flat out at about 45 on the A4. A lorry caught me up and gave me a flash on the high beams, but I couldn’t see the road was clear so left him there. He flashed again, but still couldn’t see. He got impatient and pulled out anyway; got halfway past and over the hill came a car. I braked to let him in and he braked as well, so I tried flooring it… so did he. Meanwhile the poor bugger in the car took to the verge, if only to empty his undercrackers. I managed not kill any kittens, puppies or children, but if I could have caught the prick… Bloody near caused a right smash up cos he had to be in front.

Hi Peterm, your memory reminded me of a similar incident in Saudi between abqaiq and Hofuf corner on the Dammam Riyadh road about 1980 when I was doing internals. I had about 25 ton on my Saviem, which wasn’t the most powerful beast and was heading up a long steady pull. A 1418 long nosed merc with a 60’ car transporter trailer started overtaking. When our cabs were level a Toyota Land Cruiser came the other way. We played the stop go game you did. The Merc and the Toyota both headed into the desert at exactly the same moment and met head on just off the road with a hell of a smash! Since the foreigner always got the blame I didn’t stop to see if anyone was hurt, I kept going to Riyadh! Both vehicles were still there buried into each other when I came back past and I was a bit nervous for a day or two, since there were only 2 blue Saviems on that route, mine and Eric Collins’s, but I never heard any more about it and the vehicles disappeared after a few days.

John.

Maybe there were no witnesses because they were both dead. I think I’d have kept going too, although the farthest east I’d been in the '60’s was Southend. :slight_smile:

grumpy old man:

Ray Smyth:

coomsey:
This is Ridgmont works Ray you can count them at your leisure. While I’ve got you was Midland Red coaches Leopards or am I imagining all wrong n do you know what top speed was cheers coomsey

Hi Coomsey, Thanks for your comments and picture. I don’t know vey much about Midland Red vehicles, but I do know that the
company built a large number of its own buses. Regarding the motorway coaches, it was fairly common to be overtaken by one
of their coaches on the M1, usually doing the best part of 80 M.P.H. It would be interesting to learn what engine and transmission
was in these “Flying Machines”. Kind Regards, Ray.

midlandred.net/vehicles/fleetinf … e=overview

I remember Marston Valley works at ridgmont. Depending on what you were driving, either six or eight thousand bricks, handballed on and off. Kept as as fit as butchers dogs.

Ford Transcontinental.

IMG_20181018_180132.jpg
Snibston pit Leics early 60s

coomsey:
Snibston pit Leics early 60s

Great old photo there coomsey :smiley: have a guess at Albion, Karrier Bantam and Bedford.
Oily

Thanks to DEANB and coomsey for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Karrier Bantams.

Was the electric starter optionnal on the Bantam?

This shot shows horse drawn waggons delivering coal to Basingstoke gas works circa 1910, Buzzer.

Dart truck.

Nice old work scene shot ex FB, Buzzer

44081500_2127547133956107_6543876927407521792_n.png

me brand new ride freightliner cascadia detroit diesel 15lt 505bhp they got things right with this new model with opti idle independent heating /airconditioning

nearly home to edge of canada 3wks 8900miles with 2 36hr resets due to new elog gotta keep it legal in usa now

Nice pics there Steve! You sure know how to get them KM overthere.

Danne

yes tks dan they keep you busy here of again weds morning

Thanks to DEANB, Buzzer and stevejones for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Hi Steve,be a interesting comparison with the Volvo, if I remember correctly was comfortable, reliable but a few horses less than this new steed. Good luck with it anyway.
Oily

Proper 8 leggers.
Oily

8Wheeler Ronnie 5734449484_f10626f649_rcc o.jpg

8Wheeler Ronnie 4877992169_de3fe9fe44_rcc o.jpg

8 wheeler Sir Hec 6863050696_42c3b1370a_bl o.jpg

8 wheeler Orange_transport_on_Cyprus_1997 Dickelbers cc by sa 3.0 Db.jpg

A few certificates of the past

Ford Service School  Certificate November 1955.jpg

rastone:

Bloody hell Tony, you’ve got more certificates than most of the " VEHICLE TECHNICIANS " of today, not sure about some of the dodgy looking geezers in the photos though, I thought you would have tried to out dress the tall bloke in the check sports jacket, I suppose that’s still high fashion in Uttoxeter though!!!

One thing for sure, I bet Vic in the stores would know all those parts on the table in front of you without looking in a book for the number.

My first boss wasn’t too bothered about certificates, he just wanted to know that you could fix something like this & have it back on the road for next morning, no matter what time the job came in, he was the best boss I had though, oh wait, he was the only boss I had!!!

Hope you’re keeping well my friend.

stevejones:
me brand new ride freightliner cascadia detroit diesel 15lt 505bhp they got things right with this new model with opti idle independent heating /airconditioning

A fine looking machine Steve. I hope it goes as well [emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

1970commer:

rastone:

Bloody hell Tony, you’ve got more certificates than most of the " VEHICLE TECHNICIANS " of today, not sure about some of the dodgy looking geezers in the photos though, I thought you would have tried to out dress the tall bloke in the check sports jacket, I suppose that’s still high fashion in Uttoxeter though!!!

One thing for sure, I bet Vic in the stores would know all those parts on the table in front of you without looking in a book for the number.

My first boss wasn’t too bothered about certificates, he just wanted to know that you could fix something like this & have it back on the road for next morning, no matter what time the job came in, he was the best boss I had though, oh wait, he was the only boss I had!!!

Hope you’re keeping well my friend.

Some might say that you needed certifying as well young Robert, no such thoughts from me though lad! :wink:

Pete.