Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:

gazsa401:
Hello Spardo it was a Stirlands Motor it had the later blue decals on the doors and front of the cab
At the time it was being driven by
Tony Rudkin a long serving Stirlands driver he did 44 years service
The flyover has been changed so you know longer have your stomach in your mouth when you go over it
Also a few hundred yards away is a new bridge for the Nottingham tram system
Hooleys Garage ( Ford Truck Dealers) have gone along with the houses that where there Maurice ā€œGingerā€ Hughes (another long serving Stirlands driver) lived in one of those houses opposite Nazareth House
Where Abbey Bridge Road and Lenton Lane meet has all gone to make way for the tram and finally the Red Cow pub has been demolished a old haunt and gathering place for a lot of Stirland drivers
Cheers Gary
My apologies Oily for going slightly off track on your fine thread [emoji1303]

Thanks Gary, I thought my memory wasnā€™t playing tricks, but I donā€™t remember either of the drivers you mention. Perhaps because I was there for a year on Bristol night trunk and seldom saw anyone except my changeover man, and usually not him either. The only people I do remember, apart from my mate George Milner, are (?) Stanley and the manager, Colin (?)

'Bout sums my life up now, alll those question marks. :cry:

Hello Spardo Iā€™ve still not found the picture (moving houses doesnā€™t help)
Jeff Stanley (RIP)was in the traffic office and his brother John was a driver
Colin Bullock was the Transport manager I still see Colin quite regularly
I hope these help the old grey matter [emoji1303]
Cheers Gary

gazsa401:
Hello Spardo Iā€™ve still not found the picture (moving houses doesnā€™t help)
Jeff Stanley (RIP)was in the traffic office and his brother John was a driver
Colin Bullock was the Transport manager I still see Colin quite regularly
I hope these help the old grey matter [emoji1303]
Cheers Gary

Thanks Gary, yes of course Jeff Stanley, sorry to hear he is no longer with us, and Colin Bullock, a bloke I also had a lot of time for. John Stanley I knew very well after he left Stirlandā€™s. He, like my brother and I, later set up light haulage businesses and for a time he subbed some work he couldnā€™t manage to us. We eventually bought some larger vehicles to cope with our changing work so donā€™t know what became of John afterwards.

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Three of different eraā€™s today, Buzzer.

Love that Atki picture, with the driver desperately trying to get some heat into the cab. :unamused: :laughing:

Another Mk.1 with a Mk. mirror assembly. :astonished:

A Percy powered motor no doubt!!!

David

Three from the Memphis Fire Museum

!929 American La France

A Water Tower that started life in 1897 as a horse drawn appliance, and its last re-furbishment was in 1956 when Pirsch converted it into an aerial articulated truck. It was retired in 1971, after a 74 years service life.

and a 1950s Pirsch

sandway:

Buzzer:
Three of different eraā€™s today, Buzzer.

Bottom picture. Chap on the right in light shirt. Isnā€™t that the legendary dutchman, Rinus Rynartā– ā– ?

And that Scania 141 is Gavin Smith as in GS overland here on trucknet. Later painted it in astran color.

Danne

rastone:

windrush:
I have a pic somewhere of a Morris-Commercial dustcart fitted with outside controls.

Pete.

Pete a few pics you might be interested in.taken in Doveridge about a couple of hours ago

Tony

Having your garden done again, Tony?

Steve

Hi Gingerfold, looks as if you enjoyed your travels here in the States. Oiltreader I donā€™t travel anywhere as much as Steve these days, especially as he runs all of North America.
I just run Florida/Georgia anything from 450/600 miles per day depending on the delays my Atlanta colleague endures. I run a relay/meet between Orlando Fl and Atlanta Ga contracting to the U.S.Postal service.
Gingerfold, the Ford Edge would of been a sweet ride. I take it you traveled Interstrate 40 from Nashville to Memphis and I 55 down to New Orleans, all great cities to visit.
Unless the speed limits for trucks/tractor trailers have changed in those states, which would be unusual, as the max speed is 70mph just as cars. Its a federal speed limit. Most dual carriage ways are 55 some 60 mph with no different restriction for trucks.
The GVW on five axles, 99% 3+2 is 80000lb divide that by 2240= is 35700kgs basically what the U.K. runs a 4x2 with a tandem axle trailer.
Axle weights are a lot lower here, and there is a complicated bridge law system that controls it.
Whilst there is no overall length limit for tractor and trailer together, trailers are limited to 53ft and is the standard size these days. Some states allow 57ft as in Florida with a special permit. Your photo shows Old Dominion line pulling a set of [2] 28 ft pups used mainly by the LTL less than truckload/pallet companies as opposed to the TL or truck load companies as CFI in your photos.
There is a 40ft California/41ft in the rest of the country king pin to the center of the tandem axle law which again controls axle weights.
The tandem axles on trailers slide and you can adjust your axle weights this way.
Axle weights, steer 12000lb, drive axle 4x2 20000lb, drive axle tandem 6x4 double drive34000lb trailer tandem 34000lb. Certain states allow heavier tandem axle limits as in Florida at 40000lb, with in the 80000lb GVW.
We are finally seeing pusher axles on tractors mainly Volvo twin wheel non steer, and front lift on trailers when running empty.
Hopefully its not to confusing! If I have made any mistakes my friend Mark Lee will correct me Iā€™m sure.
Iā€™ll tackle the hours of service later!
Regards Paul

Paul John:
Hi Gingerfold, looks as if you enjoyed your travels here in the States. Oiltreader I donā€™t travel anywhere as much as Steve these days, especially as he runs all of North America.
I just run Florida/Georgia anything from 450/600 miles per day depending on the delays my Atlanta colleague endures. I run a relay/meet between Orlando Fl and Atlanta Ga contracting to the U.S.Postal service.
Gingerfold, the Ford Edge would of been a sweet ride. I take it you traveled Interstrate 40 from Nashville to Memphis and I 55 down to New Orleans, all great cities to visit.
Unless the speed limits for trucks/tractor trailers have changed in those states, which would be unusual, as the max speed is 70mph just as cars. Its a federal speed limit. Most dual carriage ways are 55 some 60 mph with no different restriction for trucks.
The GVW on five axles, 99% 3+2 is 80000lb divide that by 2240= is 35700kgs basically what the U.K. runs a 4x2 with a tandem axle trailer.
Axle weights are a lot lower here, and there is a complicated bridge law system that controls it.
Whilst there is no overall length limit for tractor and trailer together, trailers are limited to 53ft and is the standard size these days. Some states allow 57ft as in Florida with a special permit. Your photo shows Old Dominion line pulling a set of [2] 28 ft pups used mainly by the LTL less than truckload/pallet companies as opposed to the TL or truck load companies as CFI in your photos.
There is a 40ft California/41ft in the rest of the country king pin to the center of the tandem axle law which again controls axle weights.
The tandem axles on trailers slide and you can adjust your axle weights this way.
Axle weights, steer 12000lb, drive axle 4x2 20000lb, drive axle tandem 6x4 double drive34000lb trailer tandem 34000lb. Certain states allow heavier tandem axle limits as in Florida at 40000lb, with in the 80000lb GVW.
We are finally seeing pusher axles on tractors mainly Volvo twin wheel non steer, and front lift on trailers when running empty.
Hopefully its not to confusing! If I have made any mistakes my friend Mark Lee will correct me Iā€™m sure.
Iā€™ll tackle the hours of service later!
Regards Paul

Do you think the US axle weights/GVWs/Dimensions will ever be standardised Paul John? When I was talking to Robin Clews when he was over in the IOM last year he said California was the most ā€œpickyā€ State I think.

Hello Paul John,
Thats the first time I have had the weight laws in the US explained, thanks.
As you say the GVW about 36 tons is the same-ish but how does the actual payload compare, ie, what would the tar weight of the average unit be ā– ā– ?, they look heavy.
Also hard to understand why different states have different requirements, it means they all loose out eventually eh !! cheers, Harvey

Ste46:

rastone:

windrush:
I have a pic somewhere of a Morris-Commercial dustcart fitted with outside controls.

Pete.

Pete a few pics you might be interested in.taken in Doveridge about a couple of hours ago

Tony

Having your garden done again, Tony?

Steve

You would think they would give me a hand but good to cut the hedge.No sweeping up !

Tony

Nouvion in Normandie in 1944. Lieutenant Gruber in his ā€œLittle Tankā€. He seems like a nice boy.

Hi Chris and Harvey. Each state has Intrastate regulations which applies to that state alone, and travel in that state alone. Interstate regulations which are federal and country wide, except for the 40ft California king pin length allow for one standard to travel the Interstate highways/motorway System. Each State has weigh stations leaving and entering each State. GVW and sets of axles are weighed, either on a static or rolling scale. These weigh stations are operated by the DOT and can pull you over for various levels of inspections daily.
When it comes to payloads, obviously depends on the vehicle being operated but most box vans and fridges are between 45/48000lb.
A while back I was pulling a 53ft flatbed with a day cab 6x4 Kenworth and could carry 49500lb. The trailer was heavier than standard as it carried steel every day. The flatbed in Gingerfolds photo is a standard OTR over the road trailer lots of companies are using which is all Aluminium alloy.
They have wide spread fixed tandem axles, canā€™t comment on them as I have not pulled one, but probably with a sleeper cab tractor have a payload close to 50000lb just under 22500kgs. Steve will have a precise answer as to the payload with his Volvo and reefer trailer.
Chris, the U.S. is slow to adapt to any changes including standardization. We still work in inches, pints and lbs.
We only become 100% E-Log compliant in January of this year. EOBR electronic on board recorders, or ELD electronic logging device as they are called finally replaced log books.
If you work with in a 100mile radius of your base on intrastate routes you donā€™t need E-Logs, as long as you clock in and out at base every day.
We are allowed to work a 14 hour day with a break of 30mins after 8 hours of work. This can be loading and driving combined. Max driving time is 11 hours. A rest period of 10 hours daily min. There is a 60/70 hour rule over 7/8 days to ensure a weekly break. Weekly breaks are 24 + 10 a total of 34 hours min. There are a few other options but not important here!
We do have DOT physicals every two years, or as in my case annually due to a triple by pass 6 years ago.

Chris, Robin is over in the U.K. sorting out a Mini he imported from Japan. Quite a story if you have a couple hours to spare!

Paul

Thanks to stevejones, gingerfold, Buzzer, Lawrence Dunbar and Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also Paul John for the detailed info :smiley:
Oily

US wrecker with a 5th wheel coupling, courtesy of Ruin Raider, a trucker.

Couple of US trailers.
Oily

USA Ruin Raider cc by nc nd 2.0 5224294041_0883f60264_o RR .jpg

Thanks Paul John for the detailed info, it explains plenty. The king pin position on the trailers for the fifth wheel intrigued me, very short, so virtually no weight ahead of the king pin.

The Ford Edge was a very nice car to drive, as you comment, and it was I 40 from Nashville to Memphis. I also took a drive from Nashville to Lynchburg for a tour of Jack Daniels distillery, - well worth the visit. Now Lynchburg is a one industry town if ever there was one. The distillery employs more people than live in the town. All in all a very enjoyable timeā€¦I might have to do it again. :smiley: :smiley:

oiltreader:
Couple of US trailers.
Oily

There will be some tyre scrub on those trailers.Do they have rear steerers at all?

Maguires smart DAF.

Chris Webb:

oiltreader:
Couple of US trailers.
Oily

There will be some tyre scrub on those trailers.Do they have rear steerers at all?

Hi Chris. Iā€™m afraid not. No rear steers, and few with lifting axles. Change is hard to push on the Americans. Robin may well of told you about the grief they give anyone who tells them they are way behind the times.
The wide spread trailers are mostly long haul trailers, not spending much time in the cities.

Paul

Thanks John Paul,
Very interesting but my very small brain would have a big problem over there, ha !!
If I am honest I still have problems over here after only 49 years. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: cheers mate. Harvey