Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Oily a collection of fleet photo’s some older school some a little newer, cheers Buzzer.

Nice lot there Buzzer Cheers :smiley:
Oily

A rare wagon courtesy of Alan Sturge.
Oily

‘Wot does this do’?
A local orc investigates the levers on a Diamond T wrecker.
One of a number of vehicles awaiting attention at Roger Dysons recovery systems.
Berry Hill Industrial Estate
Droitwich Spa
9th Sept 1984

servo88:

That F10 is a cracker ! :laughing:

Anyone know who operated these 2 x 143’s. Took the pic about 25 years ago.

Thanks to pyewacket947v, servo88 and DEANB for the pics.
Oily
On the B9176 (Struie Hill) looking over the Kyles of Sutherland.

IMG_1089 ot.jpg

oiltreader:
Thanks to pyewacket947v, servo88 and DEANB for the pics.
Oily
On the B9176 (Struie Hill) looking over the Kyles of Sutherland.

Great picture Oily. I knew that road well. I haven’t been over it since a good many years now.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Hi Johnny that hinterland behind the Scania should be familiar to you , I have been over Struie a few times in the past 30 years one memorable time was with my first Scottish Tour in 1987 driving my Gardner 150 powered Bristol RE coach ex Greenslades Tours, Exeter, a good reliable and economical machine. I was last over in 2017 hence two timber wagons posted here.
Cheers,Leyland 600.

BFJ 310L Struie Hill 1987.JPG

DEANB:

servo88:

That F10 is a cracker ! :laughing:

Anyone know who operated these 2 x 143’s. Took the pic about 25 years ago.

Morning Dean,
The 143’s I think belonged to Paul Binns, Cheer’s Pete

oiltreader:
Oily

I was rather amazed to find it in Asda’s depot at Didcot in August 2011:

Photo005 by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

Mind you, that wasn’t the strangest thing I came across: I went around to the old (closed) Didcot depot to fuel up one day, and came across this - he’d been waiting a while to tip!!

240 Gardner:

oiltreader:
Oily

Mind you, that wasn’t the strangest thing I came across: I went around to the old (closed) Didcot depot to fuel up one day, and came across this - he’d been waiting a while to tip!!

Chris,
Wasn’t that AEC 8 legger a mock up of the one used in Austrailia in the 30’s and 40’s, except the real thing had no cab on it and great big fans for engine cooling, can’t seem to find a pic of it!

pete smith:

240 Gardner:

oiltreader:
Oily

Chris,
Wasn’t that AEC 8 legger a mock up of the one used in Austrailia in the 30’s and 40’s, except the real thing had no cab on it and great big fans for engine cooling, can’t seem to find a pic of it!

Yes that’s right - I think it recalls it rather than recreates it. The original still exists (Flickr is a tremendous photo source, by the way!) - click on the photo for more info:

AEC Government Roadtrain AEC 1934 at National Transport Hall of Fame, Alice Springs, NT Australia. by Bernard Barnwell, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

pete smith:

240 Gardner:

oiltreader:
Oily

Chris,

Yes that’s right - I think it recalls it rather than recreates it. The original still exists (Flickr is a tremendous photo source, by the way!) - click on the photo for more info:

AEC Government Roadtrain AEC 1934 at National Transport Hall of Fame, Alice Springs, NT Australia. by Bernard Barnwell, on Flickr

Thank you for the info and picture Chris, you would be king of the road with that old girl!

I missed so much on my travels around the world, always seemed to be going somewhere else. :unamused:

So it was that I missed this museum when I passed through the Alice, but I do have a book with some interesting stuff in it, I’ll dig it out when I can.

The Government road train was produced as an exercise by AEC when it was obvious that it would be many years before there was a rail connection between the Alice and Darwin. They were still waiting when I was with Buntine at Katherine in '69, I watched as the road trains refuelled at our depot loaded with ‘scrap’ rail removed from the Nullarbor Plain.

I think that it was the 80s before the ‘Ghan’ train was able to do the the whole journey north. Could be wrong though, either way. :unamused:

240 Gardner:

oiltreader:
Oily

Didnt they call this a AEC Mongrel or something tongue in cheek.?

kevmac47:

Cracking shots there Kev, Keep them rolling my friend, Regards Larry.

Unusual livery on this Parcel Force Leyland Daf 45 series van. I don’t know the reason for the colour scheme. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Unusual livery on this Parcel Force Leyland Daf 45 series van. I don’t know the reason for the colour scheme. Ray Smyth.

May be the Queens golden jubilee, just a thought Buzzer.

This is going back to how recovery was back in the day of FB, cheers Buzzer.