Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Cleaned up spick and span by the Forest of Dean man :sunglasses:
Oily

Bewick:

Leyland600:
Hi Larry, Dennis, Buzzer, The local operator I was referring to was Jimmy O- Neil (Squeek) from Aspatria, I think he had two wagons on the drum job from Whitehaven to Bristol. Here are three photos given to me by fellow TNUK member “milkman tom” I am sure he wont mind me posting these images here.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

So Gerald when would Squeak switch from running the drums to Bristol and start running tankers ? He was pals with one of Henry Cookes drivers from Milnthorpe and he used to stay at Milnthorpe on the odd weekend IIRC. I believe they got pally as they used the same digs a Falfield on the old A38. Henry Cookes used to send a lot of paper to Bristol and Midsomer Norton and their own motors mainly ran on this traffic. Cheers Dennis.

I remember O’Niels tankers in Albright and Wilson Whitehaven early 70s,when I was running in there for A E Evans. I think they were Scania 110s or 111s? Does that bit of info help Dennis? :laughing:

Yes Chris , Jimmy O Neil switched to operating tankers when the drum job ceased and he did run Scanias. Milkmantom will have some photos.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Ray Smyth:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Buzzer, I like that picture of the Translloyd Commer. I think they were based near
Trafford Road Swingbridge. Salford Reg.No. The driver should have wound his landing
gear up a bit more. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray IIRC It was Water Street where they had a warehouse, I used to load there sometimes with soap powders that they stored for Thos Hedley Ltd then Proctor & Gamble Ltd in the 50/60 days all handball, Regards Larry.

Hi Lawrence, Yes, I was wrong,the huge warehouse I was thinking of was “Liverpool Warehousing”
near Trafford Road Bridge. The Commer appears to have 8 stud wheels, and probably 8.25 x 20 tyres,
so it would be no more than about 22 tons GVW. Regards, Ray.

A E Evans had this MK3 Mandator wrecker ex Lloyds Transport and Warehousing on Water Street Manchester.Original reg was ONC 893 and it pulled a trailer,9.6 engine and Evans put a 6-speed box in it at Sheffield depot.I drove it once or twice,tended to black smoke a touch though. :open_mouth: :laughing: In later years they built this MK5 wrecker at Sheffield,original reg was 218 BGC,the tar tank was taken off before rebuild. It would catch racing pigeons,a rayt tool. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Thanks to Pod Robinson and Mick Cook for the photos.

evans3.jpg

pv83:
Hallett Silbermann…

AEC Mandator XUR 229M was eventually operated by A E Evans out of the Sheffield depot.Ex Hallett Silbermann.

Buzzer:
Another for Bewick to cast his eye over to see if the chap done the job right, Buzzer.

J E Parker Ltd., Malin bridge,Sheffield 6. They did a lot out of Dixons paper mill at Oughtibridge,Sheffield,later British Tissues.

parker4.jpg

Thanks to Chris Webb, good old photos :smiley:
Oily

From Inverness.

oiltreader:
Thanks to lespullan for the pic :smiley:

More David MacBrayne Bedfords, thanks to Ronnie Cameron (RIP)
Oily

Seeing MacBrayne wagons reminds me of an old saying…

“They say the earth belongs to God,and all that it contains,except for the Kyles and the Western Isles,as they belong to MacBraynes”. :grimacing:

Milk churns were galvanised steel before aluminium took over in the second half of the 1950s. The steel ones were really heavy, but our firm had a chap that could lift one off the ground onto the lorry and could do so all day without breaking sweat! The more thoughtful farmers would build a wooden stand at the appropriate height near the entrance to their property. In fact, if I remember correctly, the stand was a condition of the farmer’s contract with the dairy/MMB but some used to park a tractor & trailer at the end of their driveway.

That expression about MacBraynes has been around for a long time now and at one time I believe it was almost true as they operated the ferries, the buses and the road transport operations. Back in the early 80s I used to meet MacBraynes trunk wagons on the A9 usually about Auchterarder as they headed north to Ullapool and I was coming down from Dundee.
Cheers, Leyland 600

A 1953 split screen Morris Minor - my boss has bought it to cut the front end off, and hang it on a wall in a night club, to use as a DJ booth.
Sacrilege as far I’m concerned. There’s no rust, everything is there, and the motor has been sat submerged in oil for the past 30 years. What would this be worth in the UK? - a shame it isnt valued here.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Milk churns were galvanised steel before aluminium took over in the second half of the 1950s. The steel ones were really heavy, but our firm had a chap that could lift one off the ground onto the lorry and could do so all day without breaking sweat! The more thoughtful farmers would build a wooden stand at the appropriate height near the entrance to their property. In fact, if I remember correctly, the stand was a condition of the farmer’s contract with the dairy/MMB but some used to park a tractor & trailer at the end of their driveway.

Yes that’s right although you couldn’t leave a tractor and trailer at the gate nowadays all the lot would be gone.A lot of milk haulage chaps went out of the job when tankers came in like Haywards of Shenstone painted in a nice green.They delivered to a dairy in Shrewsbury as well as others.Bit of a fair way from home.Then Thorley’s at Yoxall.I took 6 Traders when they were swapping to D-Series.No trouble selling those motors,they were in tip top condition.They also ran a Commer which they swapped for a D-Series.

Tony

Retired Old ■■■■:

I was brought up on a farm in the 1950s and we had a stand for milk churns at the end of the farm road. Dad would take them with the tractor and trailer and then the Co-op dairy lorry would collect them later in the morning and leave the empties. Can you imagine leaving full, unsealed milk churns unattended these days? Who knows what contamination would be put in the milk.

gingerfold:

Retired Old ■■■■:

I was brought up on a farm in the 1950s and we had a stand for milk churns at the end of the farm road. Dad would take them with the tractor and trailer and then the Co-op dairy lorry would collect them later in the morning and leave the empties. Can you imagine leaving full, unsealed milk churns unattended these days? Who knows what contamination would be put in the milk.

Aye,the farm I worked on in Lincolnshire 1958-59 had a stand for the churns.And this company,Eastons from their Alford site collected them.They are still going today.

easton.jpg

Glossop

gingerfold:

The use of the word “unsealed” brought back memories of one of the farms on my round. It was the only customer on my patch who had Jersey cows and breakfast for me was a pint of the creamy stuff out of the top of the churn.
I think it’s fairly safe to admit my felony now as it all happened some 55 years ago.

Retired Old ■■■■:

gingerfold:

The use of the word “unsealed” brought back memories of one of the farms on my round. It was the only customer on my patch who had Jersey cows and breakfast for me was a pint of the creamy stuff out of the top of the churn.
I think it’s fairly safe to admit my felony now as it all happened some 55 years ago.

No wonder you’re still hiding out in Macc if that’s the least of your crimes . I’ve been at Macc hospital umpteen times again , X-rays, scans and they have enough of my blood to start a black pudding factory . Dave

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

rigsby:

Retired Old ■■■■:

gingerfold:

No wonder you’re still hiding out in Macc if that’s the least of your crimes . I’ve been at Macc hospital umpteen times again , X-rays, scans and they have enough of my blood to start a black pudding factory . Dave

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi gingerfold, the trouble with those milk stands at farm lane ends was that when I was returning home from a long day trip to Liverpool docks or some other exotic destination that was a two day job rolled into one in the good old days with elastic log sheets and rubbers I would be driving down the back road home from Penrith where there were numerous stands. Driving sometimes on autopilot my gaze would lock onto a stand and tended to veer towards it only realising at the last second or two the consequences of hitting it, a sharp awakening for a mile or two until the next one came into sight.
Aye the good old days,
Cheers, Leyland 600

Thinking of my reference to the farm tractor it was a Fordson Standard, and back in those days haymaking on small farms like ours was a manual task; no baling, the hay was pitchforked up onto the trailer. With one eye on the weather at all times it was always a race to get haymaking completed in a fine weather spell. So all family members used to come in an evening after they had finished their day jobs to help out. One evening, I’d have been about 9 or 10 years old at the time, I was driving the tractor with the hay trailer behind, and it was a job of just driving along, stopping at a hay pile, waiting for it to loaded, then go to the next pile. At that time Mike Hawthorn and Stirling Moss were in their pomp and they were my racing driver heroes, so emulating them on the starting line, so to speak, I was blipping the throttle of the Fordson whilst waiting to move on. As most on here will probably know the throttle on the Fordson is a pull out handle on a toothed rack. On this occasion I was too heavy handed blipping the throttle and it came detached from the linkage, but sticking open on full throttle. With the engine racing away I panicked and my foot slipped off the clutch with the tractor in gear. It shot off down the field at such a rate that the front wheels lifted off the ground, and my mum was on top of the loaded hay trailer hanging on for dear life. Fortunately my Uncle Bob was further down the field and as the tractor and trailer shot past him he managed to jump on and push the clutch out, stopping the tractor. Talk about a hair raising moment for a youngster. Uncle Bob was a lorry driver for a few years after being de-mobbed in 1945, he drove a Leyland Steer for Broadbent’s paper mill at Little Lever.