Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Tankers it is, courtesy of Richard Says.
Oily

Tanker Richard 40589131282_977bbfa059 rs _k.jpg

Tanker Richard 39577372545_882ffb6d16_rs k.jpg

Tanker Richard 39250360815_9f18dab923rs _k.jpg

Tanker Richard 26292792988_46d4acaf69_rs k.jpg

Tanker Richard 25649559718_175a00cf8d_rs k.jpg

In Europe courtesy of Peter Schöler.
Oily

Who knows what model of AEC this Pilkington motor is.? A match box with two glass marbles for the correct answer. (If I can find them)
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Who knows what model of AEC this Pilkington motor is.? A match box with two glass marbles for the correct answer. (If I can find them)
Cheers, Leyland 600.

It’s a Regal single deck bus chassis, of which Pilkington’s had several. The low chassis allowed them to carry tall packing cases of sheet glass. AEC Regals were also a popular choice with several furniture manufacturers, again for their low chassis.

Pilkington Regal.jpg

Who can identify the location of this photo?

oiltreader:

rastone:

HRS:
Ah Ha !!! One of yours “Oiltreader”
Could the GLASS WORKS be the clue ■■? Harvey

Even railway tankers had those and they would be easier to wash out than metal.Oili I don’t thing stainless would be about then would it.

Tony

I was thinking back to my early days Tony and the milk churn collection from farms ,were the churns stainless steel? no, I read that they were galvanised iron and with regard to bulk transport, stainless steel tanks were introduced mid 1940s in the USA.
Oily

Some farmers used to take their milk down to the local station or dairy.Some of the old milkmen delivering to households had a churn in the back of the van and poured the milk in a bucket with a measure hanging on the rim to ladle it out into the customers milk jug.These churns are beginning to get scarce and garden centres can ask a lot of money out of them.There were some farmers used to hammer the churns in the bottom to get the full price as a normal one.

Tony

IMGP0238.JPG

Just found this

Birkenhead

Birkenhead 1.jpg

Birkenhead 2.jpg

Hi gingerfold yes thats right, as for the location I guess its St Helens works, One of my former drivers is an ex Pilingtons man I am sure he will know. On the subject of AEC Regals being used as a goods vehicle, R.J. Murray and Son had a Regal bought new fitted with a livestock container circa 1953. An acquaintance from Racks near Dumfries has this ex Nottingham Corporation Regent III /Park Royal bodied No 178 then ex Limmer & Trinidad seen at Brough last Easter.
Cheers Leyland 600.

IMG_8559.JPG

re glass lined tanks.Anybody know how they made them

Tony

rastone:
re glass lined tanks.Anybody know how they made them

Tony

Bit like the old thermos flasks with the cork lids, very fragile broke a few of them in me time Buzzer.

Pots-65-389big (3).jpg

Nice motor to have back in the day, Buzzer.

A nice old wobble box.

Ade

oiltreader:

rastone:

HRS:
Ah Ha !!! One of yours “Oiltreader”
Could the GLASS WORKS be the clue ■■? Harvey

Even railway tankers had those and they would be easier to wash out than metal.Oili I don’t thing stainless would be about then would it.

Tony

I was thinking back to my early days Tony and the milk churn collection from farms ,were the churns stainless steel? no, I read that they were galvanised iron and with regard to bulk transport, stainless steel tanks were introduced mid 1940s in the USA.
Oily

Until the 1950s milk churns were generally made from hot galvanised mild steel, made for example at the CWS Tinplate Works, Birtley, Co Durham. But just before the churns (technically milk cans) were phased out they started to appear in spun aluminium.

A few more from Cheadle

Tony

Thanks to gingerfold, rastone, Pennineman, Leyland600, Buzzer and lurpak for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily
One good turn deserves an other :laughing:

rastone BS 79 t.jpg

rastone BS 77t .jpg

rastone BS 76 t...jpg

oiltreader:
Thanks to gingerfold, rastone, Pennineman, Leyland600, Buzzer and lurpak for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily
One good turn deserves an other :laughing:

Thanks for that.I don’t know what went wrong there and tried to put it right.I was going to have another go tonight

Tony

Some proper jobs and doing what you can with what you’ve got.
Oily

From OZ, thanks to Dan Lloyd.
Oily

Great shots Oily keep them rolling , Regards Larry.

oiltreader:
From OZ, thanks to Dan Lloyd.
Oily

Those Ozzie Ford pictures are a treat,the sheeting is a great job,driver should be proud of his/her efforts,
Dennis would also approve,not that that matters!!!lol,lol.

David