Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

image.jpega well laden Foden takes a break at smokey joes .

Some British Leyland brochures from 40 years ago. Used to always think those Dolomite Sprints were the dogs doo dahs in their day.
I spent three weeks at the Triumph factory in the early seventies and IIRC the place was a collection of old sheds and a field out the back full of Triumph Stags, some with the roofs down, in October - November. At the time the Sprint was being developed and a couple of prototypes were often tested at high speed around the buildings. If you saw one coming you just had to get out of the way as quick as you could !!

Punchy Dan:
0a well laden Foden takes a break at smokey joes .

Dan is that Smoky Joe’s in Cornwall ? Cos if it is I remember my year trunking out of there when I had past my HGV test in the early 70’s and they did a wonderful steak & Chips so tasty, cheers Buzzer.

tyneside:
Some British Leyland brochures from 40 years ago. Used to always think those Dolomite Sprints were the dogs doo dahs in their day.
I spent three weeks at the Triumph factory in the early seventies and IIRC the place was a collection of old sheds and a field out the back full of Triumph Stags, some with the roofs down, in October - November. At the time the Sprint was being developed and a couple of prototypes were often tested at high speed around the buildings. If you saw one coming you just had to get out of the way as quick as you could !!

Now that is a throw back - the Dolomite Sprint. That was one of my favourite cars when I was a wee laddie. They sure were quick motors. I had the privilege of being a passenger with a friend who owned one at the time. My eyes were the size of golf balls at the end. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hiya Buzzer ,small roast beef tonight spot on

image.jpegwacky races

Punchy Dan:
Hiya Buzzer ,small roast beef tonight spot on

Very nice too Dan, What are you washing it down with, :question: A glass of Rioja, sounds good to me thats If you like it of course, Take care my friend, Regards Larry.

jsutherland:

tyneside:

Now that is a throw back - the Dolomite Sprint. That was one of my favourite cars when I was a wee laddie. They sure were quick motors. I had the privilege of being a passenger with a friend who owned one at the time. My eyes were the size of golf balls at the end. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Bad memories- the only car I ever bought “Sight unseen”. Sure taught me a lesson! It’s owner delivered it to my workplace on a trailer when I was miles away and when I first saw it I couldn’t believe what I had done. Originally yellow, I think, the bodywork was almost totally rust, the front wheels pointed in different directions, the seats were about 50% rotten, 50% mouse-eaten and when I connected a battery the engine ran on a couple of cylinders for five minutes then seized solid. On further examination the underside was in no better condition than the rest of the thing and I discovered that the Sprint had been offered with racing slicks. Well, this one had, anyway!
Hauled it to the local car breakers where they laughed and grudgingly parted with £15, which left me £685 out of pocket.

Well ROF Im sure lots of other posters on here have had similar problems, As for myself I bought a 1966, Ford EKW 400 D. V 6 Zodiak, Saloon, Very nice to drive but the bodywork was ■■■■■■ The boot rained in & ■■■■■■ the camping gear, The rear brakes were a nightmare to change when worn out, I got rid not long after,Regards Larry.

I remember the brakes on those things, Larry. It came about by using the **** awful German axle, if I recall correctly.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well ROF Im sure lots of other posters on here have had similar problems, As for myself I bought a 1966, Ford EKW 400 D. V 6 Zodiak, Saloon, Very nice to drive but the bodywork was [zb], The boot rained in & [zb] the camping gear, The rear brakes were a nightmare to change when worn out, I got rid not long after,Regards Larry.

I’m guessing yours was one of those with the bonnet the size of a football pitch? I had a 1964 Zodiac, the one before, with the fins at the back, which I used as a taxi from 67 - 69. I think it had 20,000 on the clock when I bought it and 40,000 when I sold it. Beautiful! That dark green Ford colour of the time with plastic ‘leather’ seating and plastic wood in the dashboard! I loved it.

Straight 6 cylinder steel engine. Reliable. It also went well. I took my brother and 2 cousins to a rugby league match at Warrington. On the way down, as we were approaching the Lancaster turnoff, my cousin was practically in my lap watching the speedo! We were doing 110! Ok, it was downhill.

Happy days!

John

Building the Mont Blanc tunnel.

DEANB:

DEAN like a lot on here would like a tenner for every time I been through that pipe, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

DEANB:

DEAN like a lot on here would like a tenner for every time I been through that pipe, Buzzer.

I’d not be rich like you would be. I’ve only been through it twice. [emoji1]
Johnny

Scarbrough Sea Front, Regards Larry.

Retired Old ■■■■:

jsutherland:

tyneside:

Bad memories- the only car I ever bought “Sight unseen”. Sure taught me a lesson! It’s owner delivered it to my workplace on a trailer when I was miles away and when I first saw it I couldn’t believe what I had done. Originally yellow, I think, the bodywork was almost totally rust, the front wheels pointed in different directions, the seats were about 50% rotten, 50% mouse-eaten and when I connected a battery the engine ran on a couple of cylinders for five minutes then seized solid. On further examination the underside was in no better condition than the rest of the thing and I discovered that the Sprint had been offered with racing slicks. Well, this one had, anyway!
Hauled it to the local car breakers where they laughed and grudgingly parted with £15, which left me £685 out of pocket.

Suppose the words “well used” were missing from the advert !!
In about 1960 my Dad bought a new Vauxhall Cresta from A&G in Newcastle. It was the “new” shape with the fins on the back wings. Less than two years later you could nearly poke holes in the bodywork with your finger, proper rotbox. I was told that sometime in the sixties Vauxhall changed the polarity on some models to try an alleviate the body problems, not sure how true this was though.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpegA new Daf to replace an Erf ,can’t see it doing 17 yrs though :neutral_face:

Punchy Dan:
01234A new Daf to replace an Erf ,can’t see it doing 17 yrs though :neutral_face:

REPLACE a ERF, !!!
What sort of dark thinking is this.?

all shiny for trip down to memphis next week where im parking up for the week to join in the 40th anniversary party