Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

A couple more goldies, Buzzer.

Punchy Dan:

that is such a versatile motor dan.and a credit to you

Thanks to tyneside, wrighty, pv83, Punchy Dan, Dirty Dan, coomsey, kevmac47 and Buzzer fine lot of pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bank’s or Marston’s whatever tickles the taste buds.
Oily

Hi Oily, you have been busy posting, keep them coming. The Pilkingtons AEC is a Regent double deck chassis with low centre chassis, useful for carrying tall sheets of plate glass vertically. The Elders Walker Bedford stirs memories they were glass merchants in Newcastle on Tyne and North Shields, I used to visit both premises as a boy while riding shotgun in a Morris Commercial LC belonging to family friends who had a ship repair business at Blyth. Used to collect ships portlights (port hole glass) about 1 inch thick glass discs to replace those broken in storms encountered by colliers plying the North Sea between the North East coal ports and London power station.back in the 1950s. The Bedford Queen Mary was familiar around my neck of the woods here in ■■■■■■■ with the nearby aerodromes of Kirkbride, Silloth and Great Orton (Wiggonb) plus others not too far away. My one memory was when a plane crashed on the sand tip behind the infant school I attended and saw an identical vehicle taking parts of the plane away as it travelled up the lane alongside the school (circa 1947-8).
On the subject of AECs here is a photo for lurpak, a coach from his locality, Cotterells of Mitcheldean AEC Reliance taking part in Kirkby Stephen Rally a couple of weeks ago and also the command centre of the Northern Scottish Reliance also taking part plus cab interior of the Isle of Man Road Services Leyland PD 3 also taking part in the rally.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

IMG_8658.JPG

IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8641.JPG

IMG_8649.JPG

Same company, different breweries, Oily. In my humble opinion, based on sixty years of serious sampling, Banks’ Bitter is far and away the best of the “modern” brews. And if any of your followers fancies trying it, it’s available from Aldi stores at a fantastic price of 89pence for a proper glass pint bottle.

N.B. No backhanders were received from Marston’s Brewery or it’s subsidiaries for the content of this post.

But if any of Marston’s directors reads this… :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dirty Dan:
Great pics as always here :smiley:
Here is some from my last couple of weeks.

Danne

Same can be said of your pic’s Danne, cheers for posting mate :wink:

Don’t need backhanders Casey , our granddaughter works for Coors brewery in Burton and her fiancé also works there in quality control . The amount of free ale they are allowed keeps her brother , her dad and me supplied . It’s not the best in the world but it’s FREE .

Submitted this once, but it didn’t seem to go.
Apologies if it’s repeated.
Also saw this pic on Facebook

And had a conversation with Mike Wheatley(there’s more but this is most of it):

If you ever drove through Turkey in those days you’ll realise how useful the mesh over the screen was. Heading for the border with Iraq, I was in a Daf, with Paul Kerr in his 110 and a Swede. As we came into Cizre, about 50 young men were playing football. They advanced on us as one. Rocks were bouncing off the cabs. I was lucky and had no glass broken. You can drive a Daf while lying on the engine! Paul’s windscreen was smashed and the Swede had a side window broken. Very frightening!

John

Paul drove with the smashed screen down to near Basra where we were tipping, then back (the football pitch was deserted on the return journey) to Istanbul. There he got a plain glass replacement (I didn’t like the idea of plain glass, but I think Paul was fed up with too much fresh air by then). It was 2 flat pieces of glass with a rubber strip down the middle and it made the 110 look like a Scammell Crusader. Anyway, it got him home. No photos unfortunately!

When did Paul cha.nge toTranscon John?

Paul was pulling for Sealand out of Dammam in late 1976, mainly Riyadh. I was in Dammam with the Douglas Freight F88, but didn’t know Paul was there. I met him again in early '77. I can’t remember who he bought the Transcon from, but he had that on Sealand. I bought his 110 off him and started pulling for Sealand as well. We flew home together for Christmas 77. They started to tighten up on the foreign plates in 78, plus the Sealand work was tailing off. Paul couldn’t register the Ford, so decided he was going to head off home to do overland again. Also he was missing his young children I think.

Leyland600:
Hi Kevin, every picture tells a story, your Wooler Mart pics showing the H&H Logo on the buildings indicates that the mart is no owned and run by Harrison & Hetherington the major Carlisle based auction company. Good set of photos especially Jimmy Wilkinsons Albion and the Sanray AEC Mammoth Major. As fo the modern Sanray and Emmex photos do you know the reason for these trade names.? I know the company was originally Pendelton and Hare from Felton and have chatted to Raymond Hare at vintage rallys in the past.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Gerald, Emmex is a contract motor, I think the Sanray name is an anagram of owner and his wife’s name. Regards Kev. Ps. If I’m wrong someone will correct me. :smiley: :wink:

Thanks to Leyland for the Cotterells photo here’s one I spotted the other week in Coleford

Ade

lurpak:
Thanks to Leyland for the Cotterells photo here’s one I spotted the other week in Coleford
Ade

Nice photo “lurpak”, Devon reg, 1949/50s, Keep them rolling, Regards Larry.

Whitley Bay Prom undergoing a face lift, Regards Larry.

Couple of nice but rare Scania’s both of FB, Buzzer.

Hi Ade super photo of Southern National Bristol L L6B (Long 30ft Bristol 6 cylinder engine) Duple 37 seat body New to Southern National No 1324 in May 1951. This is a coach that frequently visits rallys in the south.
Cheers Leyland 600

From the past three of Harry Masons from Milton Keynes, Buzzer

Haven’t seen such a Bedford before…?

Few from Margaret River WA

P1020589.JPG

P1020588.JPG

P1020587.JPG

P1020586.JPG