Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Leyland600:
Hi Oily here is an interesting video of Newcastle trolleybuses with lots of nostalgic locations, I am sure our North East contributors will enjoy this film in the days before the city planners ruined Newcastle. There are a few other good films of North East buses which include some shots of lorrier back in the late 50s early 60s. I have fond memories of travelling on the trolleybuses from Central Station to the Haymarket bus station for onward transport by United Automobile Services to Blyth by at least 4 different routes. My favourite being the No 8 via Whitley Bay and Seaton Sluice on a Bristol KSWB decker.

Cheers Leyland 600.

Hiya Gerald, Happy New Year ! What do you think RWB and AHB would have reckoned if they had got a load of Hops on their Traders similar to the Jempson motor ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, Happy New Year, As for the two Ireby lads Nee bother at ah, RW would have relished the job right up his street. Take a look at the Henley Transport thread here on TNUK for some hair raising loads of hopsacks. As an aside I attended Joe Hayton from Grange Farm at High Ireby funeral early this month in Ireby church a very well known authority on sheep farming and a good tour customer of mine along with his wife. The church was full to overflowing.
Cheers, Leyland 600

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65742&start=180#p1092374

A couple from yesterday on their second lease of life.

WP_20170121_16_22_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20170121_16_22_38_Pro.jpg
Ade

Thanks to Buzzer and lurpak for the pics :smiley: :smiley:

Hopsacks nah, hop pockets, many a hostelry in Kent, Hereford and Worcester claiming the title in the past and still today.
Oily.

Today in Dingwall and a healthy -3°
Oily

Leyland600:
Hi Oily here is an interesting video of Newcastle trolleybuses with lots of nostalgic locations, I am sure our North East contributors will enjoy this film in the days before the city planners ruined Newcastle. There are a few other good films of North East buses which include some shots of lorrier back in the late 50s early 60s. I have fond memories of travelling on the trolleybuses from Central Station to the Haymarket bus station for onward transport by United Automobile Services to Blyth by at least 4 different routes. My favourite being the No 8 via Whitley Bay and Seaton Sluice on a Bristol KSWB decker.

Cheers Leyland 600.

Ta for that Leyland600 but link not appearing.
Oily

Is this a better option Oily

Ade

2579817133_dcf108a080[1].jpg

lurpak:
Is this a better option Oily
Ade

I would definitely give that a go :smiley:
Oily

Thanks to lurpak and lespullan for the pics :smiley: :smiley:

This one normally pulling a box trailer.
Oily

Orkney  Richard 31592264963_69d7268df4_k.jpg

:blush: double post

Hi Oily Link now added to original posting, hope it works.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hi Oily, Orkney hauliers are a breed of their own with their own shrewd methods of maximum vehicle utilization, here are some more McAdie & Reeve images waiting to load for home at Gills Bay and on the crossing aboard Pentland ferries catamaran MV Pentalina, Gills Bay to St Margarets Hope in 2016.
Have you ever seen the car stickers “I have crossed the Pentland Firth and lived” ? I have managed it about 82 times with only one bad crossing but to be fair nearly always between April and September.

Hi Les great photos of Vince S’s DAF that he drove for Taits often seen down here in ■■■■■■■ as he loaded steel building cladding sheets from a local firm. I occasionally got to have a chat with him on the 1-0pm boat from Gills on a Saturday as he returned home from his usual 3 trailer weekly trip from Orkney to mainland Scotland and beyond. I believe he is working for Streamline now trunking from Aberdeen to Glasgow through the week.
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Les great photos of Vince Sinclair.s DAF that he drove for Taits often seen down here in ■■■■■■■ as he loaded steel building cladding sheets from a local firm. I occasionally got to have a chat with him on the 1-0pm boat from Gills on a Saturday as he returned home from his usual 3 trailer weekly trip from Orkney to mainland Scotland and beyond. I believe he is working for Streamline now trunking from Aberdeen to Glasgow through the week.
Cheers Leyland 600

Hi, nice to know Vince is ok, knew he wasn’t at Taits but didn’t know he was at Streamline, with regard to the Pentalina never used the new one, but lots on the old one, once on a shopping trip to Inverness we were the only vehicle on, parked me right in the back corner under a leaking valve should have seen the state of the car when we got to Gills bay, it must have been salt water, another time coming back from Inverness I got held up all the way, saying to the wife if we get to Gills and the doors up that’s it, arrived with only 8mins to sailing time [zb] door up the boat had left 20mins early and was a dot on the horizon,had a good night at the Royal hotel Thurso, caught the boat next morning after a few choice words at the ticket office, after that we always used the Hamnavoe, that was a bumpy crossing in winter, when really bad they came round the other side of Hoy and into Stromness through Scapa Flow. Les.

Plenty of bling! Robert

y8.jpg

Stanfield:
Anyone remember this place in Trafford Park from the 60s.I collected many a parts from here during my apprenticeship I never seemed to be away from the place.

I lived close to Barton dock road Trafford park, Most of my jobs were short walking distance in Trafford Park. Think Tillotsons had two depots on Ashburton road 1950s. The main depot was next to or on the old Springfied in est where Wincantons had taken over Corn Product (Celistar) contract in the 1960s. They had a yard the east side of Ashburton Road mainly as an overspill lorry park. When they amalgamated with Lex Tillotsons they moved to Taylors Road site home to S&Rs tankers, Heatons St Helens, Harris Roadways. Now Peel Holdings Trafford centre. Peel holdings were local coal merchants who had land near rail links in Trafford Park also supplying industry in Trafford park. Regards Kev

Peel Holdings (The Peel Group) were/are a bit more than local coal merchants. they’ve fingers in lots of pies and their reputation ‘could be better’. :confused: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peel_Group

Leyland600:

Cheers Leyland 600.

youtube.com/watch?v=jVN5-d6pjYQ

Nice one, thanks :smiley: noted at 4.57 mins the cops in a Triumph TR4, I remember the police in Oxford having MGAs.
Oily

grumpy old man:
Peel Holdings (The Peel Group) were/are a bit more than local coal merchants. they’ve fingers in lots of pies and their reputation ‘could be better’. :confused: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peel_Group

Thanks for the link GOM, aerial one of Trafford and Salford in the 1980s to view.
Oily

Manchester 1980s M J Richardson cc by sa 2.0.. Aerial_photograph_of_Salford_and_Trafford_Park.jpg