Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:

oiltreader:

Spardo:

oiltreader:
A66 on Stainmore 2022.
Oily

Is that near the cafe, Oily? Is it still open? I haven’t been that way since years before it was dualled, come to think of it, my son’s wedding at Barbon in ■■■■■■■■ not so long then, about 20 years I reckon. We travelled back that way because we met Lucy and Rikki for a meal on the way towards Scotch Corner. :smiley:

Yes Spardo and the layby where I was taking the photos is 200yds approx. east of the cafe.
Oily

Thanks, good to know, it was a welcome oasis on a cold dark night. :smiley:

Stirlands changed over with Smith of Maddiston at Stainmore Cafe,on Boots contract,70s and 80s David.

Buzzer

Chris Webb:
Stirlands changed over with Smith of Maddiston at Stainmore Cafe,on Boots contract,70s and 80s David.

Yes, I remember that Chris, but one wagon went all the way to Glasgow, while all the changeover men had Atkis, this one was a lone Albion. I think the driver slept in digs during the day while a shunter tipped and reloaded it for him to come back the next night. I can’t remember why, but one night I was asked to do this instead of my normal Bristol trunk. They did give me notice of it but I was not keen and when asked why I said because I have an occasional afternoon job driving a limo for my mate’s undertaking firm behind the hearse. Geoff Stanley was not impressed, but he did find someone else to take the Albion. :laughing:

That funeral job was great fun. One day I got held up at a large roundabout on the way to Derby Crem. and didn’t see which exit the hearse had taken, through Stapleford and Sandiacre or down the by-pass. As I went round the roundabout twice trying to make up my mind, with the 2nd car following me in wonderment, I plumped for the by-pass and set off at 70 mph, fortunately catching the hearse up half way to Derby, to the great relief of the driver wondering where all his mourners had gone. :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks to Lawrence Dunbar and Buzzer for the photos. :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Buzzer’s photo of a Tempo van got me thinking about a similar German 3 wheeler the Goliath.
Oily

Goliath_Goli_(2014-08-29_6605) Lothar Spurzem cc by sa 2.0 de.jpeg

Chris Webb:

Spardo:

oiltreader:

Spardo:

oiltreader:
A66 on Stainmore 2022.
Oily

Is that near the cafe, Oily? Is it still open? I haven’t been that way since years before it was dualled, come to think of it, my son’s wedding at Barbon in ■■■■■■■■ not so long then, about 20 years I reckon. We travelled back that way because we met Lucy and Rikki for a meal on the way towards Scotch Corner. :smiley:

Yes Spardo and the layby where I was taking the photos is 200yds approx. east of the cafe.
Oily

Thanks, good to know, it was a welcome oasis on a cold dark night. :smiley:

Spardo:

Chris Webb:

Yes, I remember that Chris, but one wagon went all the way to Glasgow, while all the changeover men had Atkis, this one was a lone Albion. I think the driver slept in digs during the day while a shunter tipped and reloaded it for him to come back the next night. I can’t remember why, but one night I was asked to do this instead of my normal Bristol trunk. They did give me notice of it but I was not keen and when asked why I said because I have an occasional afternoon job driving a limo for my mate’s undertaking firm behind the hearse. Geoff Stanley was not impressed, but he did find someone else to take the Albion. :laughing:

That funeral job was great fun. One day I got held up at a large roundabout on the way to Derby Crem. and didn’t see which exit the hearse had taken, through Stapleford and Sandiacre or down the by-pass. As I went round the roundabout twice trying to make up my mind, with the 2nd car following me in wonderment, I plumped for the by-pass and set off at 70 mph, fortunately catching the hearse up half way to Derby, to the great relief of the driver wondering where all his mourners had gone. :laughing: :laughing:

Here you are Spardo John “Big Bopper” Lambert RIP a great mate and work colleague

There is a thread about Oldest Member and Wit and Wisdom which is now in Bullys, having led a sheltered life I don’t there hence this post here, anyway as it’s Burn’s night this gem of wisdom has a ring of truth to it.
Oily

Spardo:

Chris Webb:

I left a MFS Artic at Penrith one friday night for one of our Penrith based night men in summer 1980 and was supposed to go home to Sheffield ont train which would have been a pain at around midnight.I walked to A66/M6 island and was immediately picked up by a Smiths driver in a ■■■■■■■ engined ERF who was changing over with Stirlands at Stainmore Cafe.I then got in a 180 Gardner engined ERF of Stirlands and was dropped off at J1 of M18 where I walked down to our Maltby depot and into car and home.Rock on. :grimacing:

gazsa401:
Here you are Spardo John “Big Bopper” Lambert RIP a great mate and work colleague

Yes, I had regular nightly short conversations with him and my mate George Milner as we crossed paths in Bilborough. They were heading for Stainmore while I was heading home after a hard day’s graft as manager at Courtauld/Toray at Bulwell. Great blokes, much missed.

Buzzer

BRS Vulcan loading sugar at Bury St Edmunds NMP

IMG_0227.JPG

Another set of BRS pics. Couple of ex London Scottish and a Karrier with auto coupling trailer

Buzzer

Tyneside

The erecting shop at Armstrong Whitworth & Company’s Locomotive Works at Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne in 1931. Part of a consignment of 200 steam locomotives which were shipped in running order overseas to Belgium state railways.

Buzzer

327540079_574934257537960_3376552475391792025_n.jpg