Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Thanks to ERF-NGC-European, Buzzer and remy for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

On dashcam with a bit o countryside.

ERF-NGC-European:
Dutch FTF with Motor Panels cab. Looks as if it’s on Greek work judging by the visor.

They were quite a house hold name in the 70s and 80s when it came to trips to Greece, Albania and Yugoslavia. In the 90s and noughties the focus shifted to Spain, but they only seem to do Benelux and Germany nowadays.

They had bit of a mixed fleet due to take-overs, but I believe they had some FTFs right from the start.

Cheers, Patrick

Screenshot_20221129_174700_Samsung Internet.jpg

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:
Dutch FTF with Motor Panels cab. Looks as if it’s on Greek work judging by the visor.

They were quite a house hold name in the 70s and 80s when it came to trips to Greece, Albania and Yugoslavia. In the 90s and noughties the focus shifted to Spain, but they only seem to do Benelux and Germany nowadays.

They had bit of a mixed fleet due to take-overs, but I believe they had some FTFs right from the start.

Cheers, Patrick

Here’s another pic of an FTF with the same company. Good-looking motors. Not sure about the Detroit screamers though. Still, at least they had 13-sp Fullers in them!

Thanks Buzzer a great selection again and you have picked a jewel out of the mob with the picture of the The Gun Barrel Construction company.
Their leader Len Beadell was a man of remarkable talent in surviving in the Aussi bush while mapping routes for his team to clear a track joining West OZ and the eastern states.
He wrote several books of him and his teams exploits which I will list below , these books are well worth the read of life and work in some of the tuffest terrain you will find anywhere.
Book Titles Too Long in the Bush
Blast the Bush
Bush Bashers
Still in the Bush
End of an Era.
There are one or two more and are easy to find via Google,
A footnote the Grader in the picture now lives in its own wire mesh garage at the Giles weather station on the Great Central road Pic below

Dig

317094171_1319538145525426_7746610778865048969_n.jpg

Your welcome DIG, here are a few more Foden’s for you all, Buzzer

316548956_5695918750462028_2579543033137373932_n.jpg

Buzzer:

Well, lots to comment on there.
No.1. That bloke certainly didn’t go to the Bewick R & S school, neither did he to mine. I would have had a very red face towing that behind me. :frowning: :blush:
No.2. Pedal to the metal, keeping the cab ahead of the bulldust. You can see why our convoys were so long, a slight problem with breathing otherwise. :wink: :smiley:
No.4. Those barrels may not be full but that one looks a tad overweight to me, and the roping seems to have a remarkable element of hope and charity about it. :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

No.1. That bloke certainly didn’t go to the Bewick R & S school, neither did he to mine. I would have had a very red face towing that behind me. :frowning: :blush:
No.2. Pedal to the metal, keeping the cab ahead of the bulldust. You can see why our convoys were so long, a slight problem with breathing otherwise. :wink: :smiley:
No.4. Those barrels may not be full but that one looks a tad overweight to me, and the roping seems to have a remarkable element of hope and charity about it. :laughing: :laughing:

Regarding the dust cloud that envelopes the trailers. Did this have any effect on the cattle being transported? Was anything tried to mitigate this or was it just seen as an occupational hazard.

NMP. Last wagon I drove for Uncle Carl was an International Transtar, ■■■■■■■ 290 engine with a 10 speed. No air suspension just metal springs.

It says Auburndale Florida on the door where all trucks were registered but I worked out of a yard in the state of Maine.

Dennis Javelin:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Regarding the dust cloud that envelopes the trailers. Did this have any effect on the cattle being transported? Was anything tried to mitigate this or was it just seen as an occupational hazard.

To my shame I must admit that the thought didn’t even cross my mind but, if it makes me feel any better now, I see from that photo that the dustcloud only balloons upwards after the end of the last trailer so perhaps the poor beasties were relatively ok. A question for Dig I reckon as he came to it later and stayed with it longer than me. :wink: :smiley:

Remy:
Last wagon I drove for Uncle Carl was an International Transtar, ■■■■■■■ 290 engine with a 10 speed. No air suspension just metal springs.

Sounds like a hard ride, I do not know the year of that motor but, as I undertood that for many years US trucks didn’t have brakes on the front axle, would that have been an extra burden on you at the time? In other words, when was that belief and system changed?

This looks to be an odd sort of tilt. It doesn’t appear to be a Euroliner. At first I thought it was one of those early versions with the access points in different places; but it’s hard to see how they sealed this one. Or am I being dim?

gR.jpg

Spardo:

Dennis Javelin:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

To my shame I must admit that the thought didn’t even cross my mind but, if it makes me feel any better now, I see from that photo that the dustcloud only balloons upwards after the end of the last trailer so perhaps the poor beasties were relatively ok. A question for Dig I reckon as he came to it later and stayed with it longer than me. :wink: :smiley:

Remy:
Last wagon I drove for Uncle Carl was an International Transtar, ■■■■■■■ 290 engine with a 10 speed. No air suspension just metal springs.

Sounds like a hard ride, I do not know the year of that motor but, as I undertood that for many years US trucks didn’t have brakes on the front axle, would that have been an extra burden on you at the time? In other words, when was that belief and system changed?

Trucks or truck tractors having three or more axles and manufactured before July 25, 1980, are not required to have brakes on the front wheels but all the ones I drove did. The F model Macks had front wheel brakes but also a switch on the dash to cut the air pressure going to the front axle by half.

Les Sylphides:
This looks to be an odd sort of tilt. It doesn’t appear to be a Euroliner. At first I thought it was one of those early versions with the access points in different places; but it’s hard to see how they sealed this one. Or am I being dim?

Some conventional tilts, not EuroLiners, had the flat plastic laces on the mid-point of the side as well as the corners, didnt they? So, *it appears to me,* here the front left side of the tilt has been rolled up flat very neatly under the roof. I would [u]guess[/u] it was for moving a load sticking out the side, and wouldnt have been sealed at all?
If it was for just for loading/tipping through the side, the panel would have just been dragged up over the top by a rope, wouldnt it?

Whatever is going on, it is a neat job.

Franglais:

Les Sylphides:

Some conventional tilts, not EuroLiners, had the flat plastic laces on the mid-point of the side as well as the corners, didnt they? So, *it appears to me,* here the front left side of the tilt has been rolled up flat very neatly under the roof. I would [u]guess[/u] it was for moving a load sticking out the side, and wouldnt have been sealed at all?
If it was for just for loading/tipping through the side, the panel would have just been dragged up over the top by a rope, wouldnt it?

Whatever is going on, it is a neat job.

Very neat, which is why I thought it was too good to be true! And yes, I thought the same as you. Some tilts in the '60s and early '70s had split access points for groupage work, which could still be sealed. They must have spent ages tucking all that canopy in!

remy:
Trucks or truck tractors having three or more axles and manufactured before July 25, 1980, are not required to have brakes on the front wheels but all the ones I drove did. The F model Macks had front wheel brakes but also a switch on the dash to cut the air pressure going to the front axle by half.

Thanks mate, I had an idea it was that sort of vintage, myself I could never understand the reasoning, and although I would never recommend it, perhaps reducing on the drive instead would have cut down on jack-knifing.

Spardo:

remy:

Thanks mate, I had an idea it was that sort of vintage, myself I could never understand the reasoning, and although I would never recommend it, perhaps reducing on the drive instead would have cut down on jack-knifing.

I know things have changed nowadays, but trailer brakes coming on a tiny bit before the drive would have helped. No more trailer brake lever in the cab ain’t such a good thing, me thinks.

Dennis Javelin:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Definitely an Occupational Hazard Dennis, in Davids [Spargo] time the main hwys had some sealed patches but he would have been travelling in the dust most of the time when I was involved it had improved and was continuing to with the main whys but the station access roads tracks are pretty much the same now as they were then its not unusual to travel 100kms plus each way to and from the hwy to the trucking yards so dust is there.
The worst type of dust was black soil it grounds down to a very fine dust which has no bottom but isn’t a bog it has enough consistency for the drive axles to grip but that in turn churns the bottom out making it deeper for the next truck we often terrain allowing made new tracks and so on i have had times when the dust was over the tops of the fuel tanks.The cattle seemed to be ok for the most and the dust would blow off when we got onto good going.If you were following another truck it wasn’t unusual to pull up for an hour or so and let the dust settle,
The other hazard in my day was gates some stations got modified with Cattle grids but others loved their gates one station I visited had 6 gates in the last 10km to the yards it was formily a sheep station and had crossed over to cattle but still used the gates and paddocks.
Night time was the worst you pull-up open the gate drive through walk back to close the only to find out you had pulled up a foot short and so on the way back to the truck which with triples it was a f…long way yell as many different swear word as possible with out repeating your self.

Dig

Spardo:

remy:

The braked steer axle like any other vehicle makes the front of the unit dive transferring weight off the drive axle/s.Which then have less grip to resist being pushed sideways by the trailer.
Obviously less braking on the drive/s would mean less weight transfer under braking onto the pin by the trailer making it even worse.
Less braking on the steer creates more weight transfer onto the pin from the trailer and thereby pushes the drive/s into the road.

Buzzer

317454482_5846113802101648_2200322528262922253_n.jpg