Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Thanks to DIG, Ray Smyth, remy, Buzzer, Froggy55, servo88 and mushroomman for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Credit to eastleighbusman for the photos of Forest of Dean wagons.

TKN Forest eastleighbusman at Rownhams East M27 50127565703_6c5a0c8eff_k.jpg

TKN Forest eastleighbusman 4727548284_e5d652249f_b.jpg

Spardo:
That’s dodgy, that last picture of the Mack in the flood, even taken slowly you have no idea what debris lies hidden beneath the surface, as I found out to my cost in Matlock one day. I was doing fine in similar depth water when I came up against a large chunk of someone’s wall, and got no further.

This was Katherine your old stamping ground David in 1998, quite a few trucks all parked on the main roads into the town as the road had been closed at the bridge the drivers woken during the night to find water running through their cabs and they spent the rest of the night on their roofs.

Dig

81ff8e375c4bc03a0b71e8de14a54d0d.jpeg

DIG:

Spardo:
That’s dodgy, that last picture of the Mack in the flood, even taken slowly you have no idea what debris lies hidden beneath the surface, as I found out to my cost in Matlock one day. I was doing fine in similar depth water when I came up against a large chunk of someone’s wall, and got no further.

This was Katherine your old stamping ground David in 1998, quite a few trucks all parked on the main roads into the town as the road had been closed at the bridge the drivers woken during the night to find water running through their cabs and they spent the rest of the night on their roofs.

Dig

I thought you were going to show me a picture of Buntines base for a moment, or maybe that is it and what it has become. I have searc hed on Google several times but can’t see anything I recognise.

Obviously I never saw Katherine like that as I had the good fortune to arrive just after the Wet, and was gone before the next one. I wasn’t there long enough to be one of the chosen few to be sent south with a wagon, so went south anyway with those 2 Victorians I have mentioned in the past. :laughing:

But I got my fill of both Queensland and New South floods and mud later later. No escape. :unamused: :laughing:

NMP. I worked for Johns Manville when I drove the Freightliner and this was my next company, Carl Subler trucking. This is one of their F model Macks with a Mack Thermodyne engine and 5 speed gearbox. Very rough riding tractor with the ‘camel back’ suspension on the drive axles.

Buzzer

316236017_3588381461389865_803251458777893825_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Buzzer

That last one, the plastic cab Atkinson, has come of highway duties. Rip the turntable off and replace it with a mud bin. A common practice.

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

ON THE MOVE AUSSIE STYLE

An interesting photo that. I note that there are rope hooks on that lorry, I wonder when it was when they went out of fashion to be replaced by the bars.

Also, although I note the driver/loader has used some form of dolly, it always makes me suspicious when I see ‘tail ends’ finished off by tightening between the verticals. This makes me think that the verticals are not able to be tightened enough merely with dollies, also if anything, it pulls the verticals away from doing their principle job, that is, tightening down.

Obviously not a long distance solution anyway, who would want their furniture exposed to the elements like that, even in a predominently dry country? But where there may not be rain, with unmade roads there is certainly dust.

David, in over forty years at this caper, the only place I’ve seen hooks rather than tie rails, is on beast drawn waggons, in a museum.

Star down under.:
David, in over forty years at this caper, the only place I’ve seen hooks rather than tie rails, is on beast drawn waggons, in a museum.

:laughing: :laughing: yes indeed, and my experience of rails no hooks goes back to '67 I believe, so that’s at least 55 years then. I would really, as a nosy bugger, love to know who started the change and why, bearing in mind that rails never caught on, or were even tried (?), in the UK. :smiley:

Having experienced both systems, I’m with Mr. Smith (shock, horror, grasps the arms of the chair to avoid collapse :wink: :laughing: ) though and prefer the long line hook way as being more flexible. :smiley:

I do like the Aussie gates though, maybe a merge of the 2? :bulb:

Hey Ho no more room for ought else, wonder what his house is like or maybe this is his house, not for me though, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Buzzer

Buzzer:
Hey Ho no more room for ought else, wonder what his house is like or maybe this is his house, not for me though, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Buzzer

what a effin mess :unamused: … have you got certain rules for personal blinging of your motors buzzer… :question:

Buzzer:

+1. What a mess.

Dipster:

Buzzer:

+1. What a mess.

Reminds me of the bloke that killed someone because of something in his windscreen obscuring his vision.

Buzzer:

CAN HE EVEN SEE OUT OF THE WINDSCREEN

Totally illegal of course but on the other hand, how does he keep it from boiling up with all that blanked off radiator space? Do you remember the days when we had bits of cardboard covering the bottom half of the old Atki’s in a (vain) attempt to keep warm next to a Gardner? Some bosses would go mad at that and they had to be removed before going back to the yard. :laughing: :laughing:

Dipster:

Buzzer:

+1. What a mess.

The only “bling” we were allowed at A E Evans was a tax disc and an op licence. :grimacing:

m.a.n rules:

Buzzer:

what a effin mess :unamused: … have you got certain rules for personal blinging of your motors buzzer… :question:

Hi the only thing in our wind screens are the toll booth zappers, soon to be only one as most countries where they apply have got together to Cink the signals. Did have a driver once who had a very long Tiger toy across the dash, I told him to remove the ■■■■■■ thing forthwith as we were not a travelling circus or words to that effect. Of course, years ago it was common to see flags in the wind screens but not now, lit up signs of the manufacturer of the relative truck maker seem to be the order of the day now, cheers Buzzer

316524926_8343587742383219_8693591195569454100_n.jpg

Chris Webb:

Dipster:

Buzzer:

+1. What a mess.

The only “bling” we were allowed at A E Evans was a tax disc and an op licence. :grimacing:

And it was noticeable Chris. :wink: :smiley: If ever the term ‘minimalist’ was appropriate, it was Evans’. :laughing:

At Shaw’s nobody objected to me painting very thin coach lines on the door of my Albion, as it wasn’t in the normal company livery unlike the others they thought it was an improvement. Oh, and I was allowed to replace the weedy beeping horn with parping twins from my Standard Vanguard that I was stripping out for banger racing. :laughing:

At Midlands Storage they allowed me to move the mirrors on my Mk.1 Atki from the door to under the curve of the screen, similar to the Mk. 2s.

As transport manager at Toray I made them remove the giant red noses from their radiators (a la Buzzer ‘remove the [zb] thing forthwith as we we’re not a travelling circus’ ). I think I was most annoyed because they had done it by arrangment between themselves without asking first, but they were way too large and I did allow smaller ones afterwards that were designed for cars, in the interests of the spirit of charity. :unamused: :laughing:

But windscreens, never, although at Gauthier’s it was the fashion to have our names on a number plate right at the bottom to allow us to see who was approaching to call on the cb. Reflections on the screen often prevented facial recognition.

Buzzer:

Ridiculous. what a t it. :unamused: And look at all the detritus on the dash. (we know big words in Yorkshire :smiley: )
I’ll save you Googleing ;- Detritus…rubbish/waste/crap etc etc :wink: