Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Buzzer:
The motorway system that existed in 1964, a few more changes since then, Buzzer

Clearly the motorway system in Scotland didn’t merit a mention then as both the M90 and A823M being opened in Sep 1964 and the Harthill bypass of the M8 being well under construction then as well.

Buzzer

Dennis Javelin:

Buzzer:
The motorway system that existed in 1964, a few more changes since then, Buzzer

Clearly the motorway system in Scotland didn’t merit a mention then as both the M90 and A823M being opened in Sep 1964 and the Harthill bypass of the M8 being well under construction then as well.

Planning for independence even back then? :smiley:

I remember the first trip to Devon with my family in '66 and Dad driving through Central London to work our way around to the New M4. Seemed to remember it ending around Reading, are we nearly there?
Surely the bits of A1 bypass at Grantham and Stamford were never motorway?

essexpete:
I remember the first trip to Devon with my family in '66 and Dad driving through Central London to work our way around to the New M4. Seemed to remember it ending around Reading, are we nearly there?

And in the other direction, over Archway to Highbury Corner to get to Blackwall Tunnel and the A2 to Kent.

Spardo:

essexpete:

And in the other direction, over Archway to Highbury Corner to get to Blackwall Tunnel and the A2 to Kent.

Or catching the Tilbury car ferry from Kent and then heading up to South Ockenden to head into Essex.

essexpete:

Ironically I’m finding the non motorway road network to be as if not more relevant now, to actually avoid motorways.Which are now often actually slower with the chance of being stuck for hours in jams between junctions.

Carryfast:

essexpete:

Ironically I’m finding the non motorway road network to be as if not more relevant now, to actually avoid motorways.Which are now often actually slower with the chance of being stuck for hours in jams between junctions.

+1 :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

Spardo:

essexpete:

Or catching the Tilbury car ferry from Kent and then heading up to South Ockenden to head into Essex.

Ever a possibility, my passport has always been with me. :wink:

Spardo:

ERF-NGC-European:

Spardo:

essexpete:

Ever a possibility, my passport has always been with me. :wink:

I’m sure that there must be a business case for coastal ferries linking Dover with Poole and Plymouth and Sheerness with Harwich and Newcastle and Avonmouth with Liverpool and Glasgow.

essexpete:

essexpete, I think about that time west out of London it went as far some where between Maidenhead and Reading. Running from Cowley via Henley to the new M4 we joined it at Maidenhead Thicket, now there’s a name fo you :laughing:
Oily

Thanks to Punchy Dan and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
The motorway map back in '64 from Cowley going Scottish we joined M6 at Gailey Corner(A5) and it got us as far as Carnforth.
Oily

essexpete:
The following may be of interest to some, be nice to have a follow up video with a closer look at the lorries and hear them running. I think Kurt Mills, AKA Lord Muck, more than meets his match with Mr O’.
youtu.be/yG-OdqdoVSc

Enjoyed that that video essexpete, some fine old motors in the collection. More up to date wagon, credit to Martin Addison for the photo.
Oily

oiltreader:

essexpete:

essexpete, I think about that time west out of London it went as far some where between Maidenhead and Reading. Running from Cowley via Henley to the new M4 we joined it at Maidenhead Thicket, now there’s a name fo you :laughing:
Oily

Yes, the M4 started at Maidenhead Thicket back then, we joined it travelling from Reading via the A4. There was a plan to take it through the Thicket itself and north towards Marlow and High Wycombe but that didn’t happen.

Pete.

saw this yesterday,as it came to a halt i realized lads in the back of the cab were standing up !

corij:
0saw this yesterday,as it came to a halt i realized lads in the back of the cab were standing up !

Standing room only in the lower saloon (for which read: crew cab). Plus ca change c’est la meme chose, eh? :laughing:

Speach House

Ade

ERF-NGC-European:

oiltreader:
Double post of the The Royal Palace Scania :blush:

You probably needed a double post to fit the damned thing in! :laughing:

At least you wouldn’t have to move the furniture, before you could go to bed. :laughing:

Buzzer

310083579_2310679859089571_4472004999892433588_n.jpg

309475806_2311206462370244_8541042985454590516_n.jpg

309852242_2310329185791305_4440965970064244264_n.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

essexpete:

+1 :laughing:

If you are ever up here try the M62 between the M1 & the M606 they have been or put new concrete central barriers up since around march on about a mile long section the motorway speed restrictions are a joke causing chaos with 40 60 50 mph limits at random .No one working through the day 3 lanes open massive queues someone is on a nice back hander there