Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

oiltreader:
Your £5 in 1972 doesn’t sound right.
Check here:-
retrowow.co.uk/social_histo … _1960s.php
Oily

I was paid around £25 per week apprentice wage when I started work in 1975.
My Dad earn’t similar as skilled time served in engineering in the early 1960s.
Truck driving paid well compared to factory work or even worse the victimised miners.

Spardo:

DIG:
I.m thinking an Autocar
Dig

My first thought too, Dig, but then I zoomed in and saw the Diamond.

Just a supplementary on this photo though, do you think it was wise to have so little comparative weights on the semi, traction wise? Unless of course the other 2 trailers were empty, or similarly loaded. :slight_smile:

I agree David so I would say he is empty and the utes are a bit of fuel money on the return journey or are for delivery on the return somewhere and it saves breaking up a triple to deliver off route.

Dig

Here’s one that was a make quite rare in Oz , this one belonged to a Broome based company the driver and I swopped trucks one night for a while I was surprised what a comfortable unit to ride in.
Dig

_home_hcvcorga_public_html_mainsite3_media_kunena_attachments_1804_Hayestruck.jpg

DIG:
Here’s one that was a make quite rare in Oz , this one belonged to a Broome based company the driver and I swopped trucks one night for a while I was surprised what a comfortable unit to ride in.
Dig

A Hayes DIG followed by an ERF Louisa Downs 1968.
Cheers
Oily

Buntine.
Oily

Your territory DIG ?.
Oily

OZ Shire_of_Upper_Gascoyne_road_works_truck,_July_2020 cr Calistemon cc by sa 4.0 Western Australia..jpg

Thanks to Buzzer, DIG and Froggy55 for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Scania T500 Freemantle 2020.

OZ Scania_T500,_North_Fremantle,2020(01) Bahnfrend cc by sa 4.0.jpg

Thursdays treasures, Buzzer

280317819_5123885254354946_797342723459088382_n.jpg

280451615_2147933055371379_4169252552031442181_n.jpg

The Buntine train is well after my time, but I love that Gascoyne cab parked neatly in the only bit of shade on the park. :laughing:
Of course if he was there very long he would have to keep nipping out to move it a bit. :unamused:

ANY ONE REMEMBER WHAT THIS SIGN WAS FOR

School. :wink:

oiltreader:
Your territory DIG ?.
Oily

I.m pretty sure that photo was taken at the small town Gascoyne Junction when they were constructing the new bridge over the Gassy River which previously was a low level crossing.
The river at this point not deep but wide and still has a couple of hundred kilometres to go to Canarvon where it enters the sea.
There is a middle road that goes from Perth to Onslow and the Exmouth area which was called in horse and cart days the Wool Road ,a pleasant drive which we have done 3 or 4 times now good gravel roads and little traffic.

Dig

oiltreader:

DIG:
Dig

Cheers
Oily

Oily we have been looking in the same shoe box lol :laughing: however I believe that yellow truck was a Mack F600.
I carted my first road train load of cattle out of those yards.

Dig

DIG:

oiltreader:
Your territory DIG ?.
Oily

I.m pretty sure that photo was taken at the small town Gascoyne Junction when they were constructing the new bridge over the Gassy River which previously was a low level crossing.
The river at this point not deep but wide and still has a couple of hundred kilometres to go to Canarvon where it enters the sea.
There is a middle road that goes from Perth to Onslow and the Exmouth area which was called in horse and cart days the Wool Road ,a pleasant drive which we have done 3 or 4 times now good gravel roads and little traffic.

Dig

Is that an OKA light truck in one of your pics? Are they still in business?

DIG:

oiltreader:

DIG:
Dig

Cheers
Oily

Oily we have been looking in the same shoe box lol :laughing: however I believe that yellow truck was a Mack F600.

Dig

Hi Dig I took my infomation from this Flickr quote from Philip Schubert.

Road Train loading Cattle at Louisa Downs - August 1968
Road train Number Two.
When crossing the low level crossing at Fitzroy Crossing on the way to Derby, the driver “missed a gear.”
The road train rolled back down into the river bed partially jack kniffing with one tailer falling onto its side. The cattle of course escaped, and a number had to be put down due to injuries.
enotrack 11y
Phil - What make are the trucks? I’m having trouble identifying them?
Philip Schubert 11y
The front one is a “Foden.” Don’t know about the back one.
jimmy_on_the_spot 11y
Hi Phil, the front one is actually a Hayes (quite rare in Australia) and the one behind it is a ERF. Cheers James.
Philip Schubert 11y
Oops, your probably right, cant say I paid a lot of attention to trucks in those days. I do remember Fodens, Leylands, Inters, Bedfords, Mercs and Macks well though.
Have no recollection of Hayes though, although to me they must have looked like a Foden.
Was there an ERF too?
Cheers
Phil
boring trade (deleted) 10y
correct the first truck is a canadian built hayes
magadan1 9y
I think Newt Livingstone from Broome ran a Hayes amonst his fleet…wonder if this is his

I wrote to Phil Schubert in 2012 and had a interesting reply about his family’s ownership of Louisa Downs cattle station. I thought I sent you a link a while back, anyway more info here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisa_Downs_Station
Oily

oiltreader:

DIG:

oiltreader:

DIG:
Dig

Cheers
Oily

Dig

Hi Dig I took my infomation from this Flickr quote from Philip Schubert.

Road Train loading Cattle at Louisa Downs - August 1968
Road train Number Two.
When crossing the low level crossing at Fitzroy Crossing on the way to Derby, the driver “missed a gear.”
The road train rolled back down into the river bed partially jack kniffing with one tailer falling onto its side. The cattle of course escaped, and a number had to be put down due to injuries.
enotrack 11y
Phil - What make are the trucks? I’m having trouble identifying them?
Philip Schubert 11y
The front one is a “Foden.” Don’t know about the back one.
jimmy_on_the_spot 11y
Hi Phil, the front one is actually a Hayes (quite rare in Australia) and the one behind it is a ERF. Cheers James.
Philip Schubert 11y
Oops, your probably right, cant say I paid a lot of attention to trucks in those days. I do remember Fodens, Leylands, Inters, Bedfords, Mercs and Macks well though.
Have no recollection of Hayes though, although to me they must have looked like a Foden.
Was there an ERF too?
Cheers
Phil
boring trade (deleted) 10y
correct the first truck is a canadian built hayes
magadan1 9y
I think Newt Livingstone from Broome ran a Hayes amonst his fleet…wonder if this is his

I wrote to Phil Schubert in 2012 and had a interesting reply about his family’s ownership of Louisa Downs cattle station. I thought I sent you a link a while back, anyway more info here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisa_Downs_Station

Thanks for that information Oily ,I arrived in the Kimberlys 2 years after these events I hadn’t heard about a truck having a roll over in the Fitzroy River at that time there was a massive accident in 1973 when a NT truck from Alice Springs attempting to avoid a tourist who had parked on the crossing to take photos rolled on top of the vehicle and there was a fatality, there had been several near goes up to that time and local pastralists and transport operators had petitioned the government several times for a bridge to be built this accident lit the fuse and a bridge was built a couple of years later, this then opened up a lot of areas as the road was usually closed during the wet season for the duration of each season.
I have a friend in Derby who has excellent knowledge of the history of the area I will contact him and see if he knows about a ERF, just as a footnote there was a F Model Mack operating in the area at that time.
Did you see the White coloured road train with a S model KW on the wikipedia page that was one of the first 2 KW trucks imported into Aus by a mister Colin Campbell ,he went on in later years to build a road house on the Fitzroy River at Wilare 60kms out of Derby.
I tried to lift it but failed to increase its size it needs a more skilled hand than mine.

Cheers Dig

Oily

Dipster:

DIG:

oiltreader:
Your territory DIG ?.
Oily

Dig

Quite correct Dipster that OKA belongs to my wife and I ,the Oka factory is no longer in existence but a private company now refurbishs old OKAs fitting ■■■■■■■ engines auto gear boxes there is one offered at 6 wheel drive for half a mill if your in the market.
If you google 6 wheel drive Oka it should give you all the information about Oka these day
Cheers
Dig

DIG:

Dipster:

DIG:

oiltreader:
Your territory DIG ?.
Oily

Dig

Quite correct Dipster that OKA belongs to my wife and I ,the Oka factory is no longer in existence but a private company now refurbishs old OKAs fitting ■■■■■■■ engines auto gear boxes there is one offered at 6 wheel drive for half a mill if your in the market.
If you google 6 wheel drive Oka it should give you all the information about Oka these day
Cheers
Dig

Nice idea about the 6x6 but I think I will have to pass on that and continue with my '98 Defender. Only due to lack of support and spares for OKA in Europe, not the price of course… But they looked quite handy vehicles, guess the market was not there, eh?.

Late on parade today, been to a collective sale where everybody sells there crap and other people buy it :smiley: , Buzzer

280404263_1422442178213012_4914866972533209410_n.jpg

280398804_1422442701546293_1781692231825949566_n.jpg

280289794_1422442248213005_8783811810092761706_n.jpg

DIG see if this is liftable. right click save image.
One of the early road trains to operate in the Kimberley. This one is loading cattle at Louisa Downs Station transportation to the Derby meat works. All roads in the area at the time were dirt and were closed for weeks at a time during the wet season” Philip Schubert quote and photo.
Oily

OZ Phil Schubert Lousia Dowms 1968 5386168710_c2125695a9_b.jpg

Thanks to Buzzer and DIG for the photos :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Dingwall lorry park today.

All credit to Andrew Breeden for these photos.
Oily