Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

oiltreader:

Dennis Javelin:
In the mid to late '60s our night out money was 31/6 and was usually subbed before setting off, that took care of digs with evening meal, bedtime cuppa and breakfast, couple of pints not always I sometimes went to the pictures depending what was on and where I stopped and at the end of the week a bob or two left over. Always carried a spare fiver just in case.
Oily

You must have been a wealthy man back then. I didn’t even earn £5 a week when I started work in 1972.

Our firms rates on cartransporters were hourly calculated on trip time and depending on vehicle type( artic or wagon and drag )and legal speed limit agreed with the TGWU. The wages were good and only bettered by BP Shell etc tanker drivers. When I left in the late '60s take home was £35ish after deductions (tax and NI).
Your £5 in 1972 doesn’t sound right.
Check here:-
retrowow.co.uk/social_histo … _1960s.php
Oily
[/quote]
It wasn’t even £5, I had rounded it up!! I think it was actually £4.50 but then I was only 16.

Spardo:

dave docwra:

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Sunday selection, Buzzer

Hi Spardo, Can you remember how much you were given for night out money back then? Thanks Dave.

I can’t Dave, but I do remember I wasn’t unhappy so it must have been more than that, probably about 12 to 15 shillings I should think. On the other hand I was so in love with the job that I would have paid them to let me work, if I could have afforded it that is. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the reply much appreciated.

Thanks to Buzzer, Froggy55 and tonyj105 for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Fort William recently.

Citroen H type with a longer than normal wheelbase, beautiful display, credit to Dave Fawcett for the photo.
Oily

When I saw this beauty(posted earlier) approaching Saturday pastI didn’t have a clue of the make(I know now) anybody else with a guess?
Oily

Highland 52059320666_6907c510c1_ot.jpg

oiltreader:
When I saw this beauty(posted earlier) approaching Saturday pastI didn’t have a clue of the make(I know now) anybody else with a guess?
Oily

Looks like an F12 :sunglasses:

Very smart, Buzzer

279355467_5002668756513015_6602331637870021741_n.jpg

Oily
It’s a Diamond Rio, the small red diamond shape badge is the clue. Franky.

Buzzer:
Very smart, Buzzer

The Routeman was the iconic (although I had never heard that word then) go-to tipper at the end of the 70s and still many around in the early 80s. I was at college in an Essex village on the A414 and there was a steady stream of tippers on the M11 build. Such a distinctive sound with the Leyland and the rather long gaps between gears, at least by my observation.

oiltreader:
Oily

I think it is a Diamond Rio.

Should have read all the posts first :blush:

I.m thinking an Autocar
Dig

Dipster:

Froggy55:
Met on my village’s only crossroads yesterday morning. 1955 Triumph T 110, totally refurbished, but nevertheless still leaking oil, said its happy owner, who was on a touring trip from Normandy…

La France profonde, eh Froggy? Does the village still have a baker? Probably not, they all seem to have gone…

Even la France très profonde, we could say! No baker, mass (the church was just behind me) once every 3 months, and just a salon de thé, open on week-ends, where you can go for a cup of tea and home-made cakes, or have dinner on fridays and saturdays. But so quiet and far from most unpleasant sides of civilisation.

oiltreader:
Citroen H type with a longer than normal wheelbase, beautiful display, credit to Dave Fawcett for the photo.
Oily

And here’s a very similar one, which rests in my village since it stopped selling pizzas and drinks a few years ago. Sovam built on an extra-long Citroën Type H chassis in 1968. It’s still there and looks rather sound.

oiltreader:
Oily

diamond reo , i’ve just had to despatch a 1/24th model of one to the bin , its got too fragile to keep moving about and i’ve run out of room to display large models, still it was nearly 50 years old .

tony

Yes a Diamond Reo.
This Peterbilt was also on the run.
Oily

DIG:
I.m thinking an Autocar
Dig

This one in Australia DIG and a bit similar to the Autocar, credit to sv1ambo for the photo.
Oily

Just one, Buzzer

oiltreader:

DIG:
I.m thinking an Autocar
Dig

This one in Australia DIG and a bit similar to the Autocar, credit to sv1ambo for the photo.
Oily

Thanks Oily the radiator threw me as the cabs of the Diamond and the Auto Car and Peterbuilt at that era were all very similar.

Dig

oiltreader:
In the mid to late '60s our nightout money was 31/6 and was usually subbed before setting off, that took care of digs with evening meal, bedtime cuppa and breakfast, couple of pints not always I sometimes went to the pictures depending what was on and where I stopped and at the end of the week a bob or two left over. Always carried a spare fiver just in case.
Oily

Bloody hell Oily, I know I said I would have done it all for nowt, but didn’t realise that I actually was. :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

DIG:
I.m thinking an Autocar
Dig

My first thought too, Dig, but then I zoomed in and saw the Diamond.

Just a supplementary on this photo though, do you think it was wise to have so little comparative weights on the semi, traction wise? Unless of course the other 2 trailers were empty, or similarly loaded. :slight_smile: